Pages (2): 1 2   
Barry Lee Dejasu   04-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Anyone else looking forward to the upcoming adaptation of Clive Barker's short story "The Midnight Meat Train?" It's being directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, and stars Bradley Cooper and Vinnie Jones. It looks slick, and of course very expansive of the story, but as long as they keep a certain twist in the story (if you've read the story, you know exactly what I'm talking about), it should work really well. Supposedly Clive Barker was working very closely with Kitamura on the film, so I doubt it'll take any directions it shouldn't be. I, for one, am pumped.

The film opens August 1st, possibly limited - which is good enough, because it was back-and-forth for the longest time as a possible direct-to-DVD release. The fact that it will even open in ANY theaters is good.

Still not quite intrigued? Get this: a serial killer in the New York subways... Just look at the poster and raise an eyebrow:

[Image: midnight-meat-postsm.jpg]

Welcome aboard, next stop hell!

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Wapitikev   04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Anyone else looking forward to the upcoming adaptation of Clive Barker's short story "The Midnight Meat Train?"

Looks tasty. Cool

-Wapitikev

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Kenji   04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
I still don't understand why director is Ryuhei Kitamura...:confused:

Well, but I'm looking forward to it. Barker's "The Midnight Meat Train" was awesome short story.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Anyone else looking forward to the upcoming adaptation of Clive Barker's short story "The Midnight Meat Train?" It's being directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, and stars Bradley Cooper and Vinnie Jones. It looks slick, and of course very expansive of the story, but as long as they keep a certain twist in the story (if you've read the story, you know exactly what I'm talking about), it should work really well. Supposedly Clive Barker was working very closely with Kitamura on the film, so I doubt it'll take any directions it shouldn't be. I, for one, am pumped.

The film opens August 1st, possibly limited - which is good enough, because it was back-and-forth for the longest time as a possible direct-to-DVD release. The fact that it will even open in ANY theaters is good.

Still not quite intrigued? Get this: a serial killer in the New York subways... Just look at the poster and raise an eyebrow:

[Image: midnight-meat-postsm.jpg]

Welcome aboard, next stop hell!

Looks like a full schedule of NY subway movies--a remake of THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1 2 3 is in the works as well.
The Karl   04-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm looking forward to this, but then, I'm a horror movie junkie.
bones weep tedium   04-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Is it just me, or does the perspective look really off in that poster to anyone else? Like the floor is on a steep gradient dropping off away from the door . . . :confused:

I am actually wuite looking forward to this film, Midnight Meat Train has a twist ending that has stuck in my mind ever since I read the short story when I was a kid. Whenever someone mentions the Books Of Blood, Midnight Meat Train is one of the things that comes to mind (as well as the opening story, Rawhead Rex and the one about the cinema).

I am prepaing myself to be dispoointed by the film though. It looks good, but Vinnie Jones is a dick and I can't imagine how they're gonna spin the story out over a feature length film. Hopefully they'll just go overboard on gore, and not add any rubbishy new storylines that make me wanna spit at the screen. Wink

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Barry Lee Dejasu   04-23-2008, 07:00 AM
bones weep tedium Wrote:I am prepaing myself to be dispoointed by the film though. It looks good, but Vinnie Jones is a dick and I can't imagine how they're gonna spin the story out over a feature length film. Hopefully they'll just go overboard on gore, and not add any rubbishy new storylines that make me wanna spit at the screen. Wink

MINOR Story Spoilers Ahead.

Well, YOU may well be disappointed, because they're expanding Kaufman's story a bit: he's a photographer, just arrived in NYC, trying to explore the darker, night-life side of the city, and in the process, he ends up pulling a Rear Window/Blow-Up and photographs/witnesses one of the brutal killings. I honestly think this is a very interesting angle, because Kaufman as a character, in the story, was very fascinated with the heart of the City, and what made it the Palace of Delights. That, coupled with this (probable) collaboration between Clive Barker and the filmmakers, has me hopeful that this will be a good additional storyline. As long as the dialogue isn't horrible, the concept should hold, methinks.

Also, how is Vinnie Jones, as you say, a "dick?" I don't know him personally, so I can't quite comment... Wink I think he makes Mahogany seem that much more intimidating and terrifying. True, Kaufman is surprised (perhaps even disappointed?) to see that "the Butcher" is just a balding, slightly overweight, middle-aged man, but for some reason, the filmmaker's choice to go with someone younger, fitter, stronger, and more immediately intimidating doesn't bother me.

I think this movie is going to work just fine - theoretically speaking, anyway.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
bones weep tedium   04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:MINOR Story Spoilers Ahead.

Well, YOU may well be disappointed, because they're expanding Kaufman's story a bit: he's a photographer, just arrived in NYC, trying to explore the darker, night-life side of the city, and in the process, he ends up pulling a Rear Window/Blow-Up and photographs/witnesses one of the brutal killings. I honestly think this is a very interesting angle, because Kaufman as a character, in the story, was very fascinated with the heart of the City, and what made it the Palace of Delights. That, coupled with this (probable) collaboration between Clive Barker and the filmmakers, has me hopeful that this will be a good additional storyline. As long as the dialogue isn't horrible, the concept should hold, methinks.

That doesnt sound too bad, but from the look of things over at IMDb Barker didnt have anything to do with it other than write the short story. What you describe of the story doesnt sound a hell of a long way away from the short story, and is probably as good a way as any to describe the city.

Quote:Also, how is Vinnie Jones, as you say, a "dick?" I don't know him personally, so I can't quite comment... Wink I think he makes Mahogany seem that much more intimidating and terrifying. True, Kaufman is surprised (perhaps even disappointed?) to see that "the Butcher" is just a balding, slightly overweight, middle-aged man, but for some reason, the filmmaker's choice to go with someone younger, fitter, stronger, and more immediately intimidating doesn't bother me.

Vinnie Jones is about as intimidating as a block of wood. Rolleyes

He was notorious in the UK when he was a footballer for being little more than a thug. His big break into films were his roles in Lock Stock and Snatch. These roles were written for him, and traded on his reputation as a thug and required him to do little more than act like the trumped up little hooligan that he himself would have been if he hadn't had the good fortune of being good at football. As his 'performance' in Swordfish demonstrated, the man isnt capable of acting his way out of a wet paper bag.

The only hope he has of doing well in this film is if he is required to shut up and gurn a bit. Other than that he will be way out of his depth in such a prominent role and stink the whole film up around him.

Quote:I think this movie is going to work just fine - theoretically speaking, anyway.

I thought the same thing about I Am Legend. Be careful not to get your hopes up too high too soon matey Wink

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
Barry Lee Dejasu   04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:That doesnt sound too bad, but from the look of things over at IMDb Barker didnt have anything to do with it other than write the short story.

I wouldn't pay too close attention to what the IMDb says. They're notoriously inaccurate.

bones weep tedium Wrote:Vinnie Jones is about as intimidating as a block of wood. Rolleyes

He was notorious in the UK when he was a footballer for being little more than a thug. His big break into films were his roles in Lock Stock and Snatch. These roles were written for him, and traded on his reputation as a thug and required him to do little more than act like the trumped up little hooligan that he himself would have been if he hadn't had the good fortune of being good at football. As his 'performance' in Swordfish demonstrated, the man isnt capable of acting his way out of a wet paper bag.

I don't really know him as an actor, so I can't quite disagree--or agree. You sound awfully harsh on him, but as I say (or rather, as I'm saying now), the more objectively someone insists on something subjective, the more easily I may disagree. Not to say I am expecting Mr. Jones to be the next Archibald Leach, but even so, I'm sure he's not THAT bad. Actually...

bones weep tedium Wrote:I thought the same thing about I Am Legend. Be careful not to get your hopes up too high too soon matey Wink

Ahah! Now I know that indeed, I am looking GREATLY forward to this movie with high expectations--you see, "matey," I loved I Am Legend, exactly as it was in the theaters, and I'm a big fan of the book saying that. I guess I've got this squared away. Thank you very much, Bones!

bones weep tedium   04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Ahah! Now I know that indeed, I am looking GREATLY forward to this movie with high expectations--you see, "matey," I loved I Am Legend, exactly as it was in the theaters, and I'm a big fan of the book saying that. I guess I've got this squared away. Thank you very much, Bones!

No problem, "matey" :p

(isnt it amazing how putting the word matey in quotation marks makes it seem kinda nasty Big Grin)

I hate coppers.

Pages (2): 1 2