Pages (2):    1 2
LVerner   07-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I started the RJ books on my brother's recommendation and I love them. I'm reading them in order (I've just finished Hosts today on my lunch break). I'm not sure, though, if I want to read the Adversary series, particularly Nightworld.

From the info on this site, I gather that Nightworld doesn't end happily, to say the least. I've come to really like Jack, Abe, Gia and Vicky and I'm not sure I want to read the book where (presumably) their world comes to an end in some sense or another.

The dream Jack had in Hosts about the war between the infected and the non-infected was bad enough and that was only a dream.

What do you guys think? Without spoilers, please, in case I do decide to read the series.

Thanks,
Lee
Ken Valentine   07-15-2004, 11:38 PM
LVerner Wrote:I started the RJ books on my brother's recommendation and I love them. I'm reading them in order (I've just finished Hosts today on my lunch break). I'm not sure, though, if I want to read the Adversary series, particularly Nightworld.

From the info on this site, I gather that Nightworld doesn't end happily, to say the least. I've come to really like Jack, Abe, Gia and Vicky and I'm not sure I want to read the book where (presumably) their world comes to an end in some sense or another.

The dream Jack had in Hosts about the war between the infected and the non-infected was bad enough and that was only a dream.

What do you guys think? Without spoilers, please, in case I do decide to read the series.

Thanks,
Lee

Without any spoilers, I'll say that during the climax there is an incident which will give you "WOW! YESSS! FAN-FLAMING-TASTIC!" type goose bumps. It has a slight downside, but it ends with promise. By all means, read it!

Ken V.
Biggles   07-15-2004, 11:58 PM
LVerner Wrote:I started the RJ books on my brother's recommendation and I love them. I'm reading them in order (I've just finished Hosts today on my lunch break). I'm not sure, though, if I want to read the Adversary series, particularly Nightworld.

Thanks,
Lee

Read it!!! Paul will be rewriting Nightworld as necessary, but I read it when it first appeared in paperback years ago (as I did all the other AC books) and it hasn't hurt me a bit. You delayed gratification dudes should read Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas. That will cure you!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
LVerner   07-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Without any spoilers, I'll say that during the climax there is an incident which will give you "WOW! YESSS! FAN-FLAMING-TASTIC!" type goose bumps. It has a slight downside, but it ends with promise. By all means, read it!

Ken V.

OK, thanks. I can live with "ends with promise".

Lee
Auskar   07-27-2004, 08:50 PM
I just was checking something.
Biggles   07-27-2004, 10:02 PM

Thanks,
Lee

I guess it all depends on what you consider enough of a "downer" that you don't want to read it. If you've read King and Koontz (especially King) and have been able to enjoy their works, notwithstanding the downers in them, then nothing Paul has written should be any more depressing. King doesn't always give you anything to be upbeat about at the end, though Koontz typically does. Paul's work has never left me feeling depressed (though in all fairness, when one deals with death and violence on a daily basis one tends to become desensitized). I say read the series, then read it again as Paul revises it.

dkline   08-02-2004, 03:27 AM
Suggest starting with Tomb and then progressing in chronological order. If your're anything like me, you'll be hooked - I had trouble putting the books down..
MD1995 Wrote:Hi,
I am new to this board and new to F. Paul Wilson. I am going to start the Tomb, the first of the Repairman Jack series. I just would like to know about the rest of the series, is it recommended to read the series in order or could you bounce around between each novel? Very excited to start though and look forward to reading what others have to say on this board! Big Grin
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-02-2004, 11:09 AM
MD1995 Wrote:Thanks for the tips! Just started the Tomb. I did notice that the book store I went does not carry all of his books, so I will see which I will read next. Thanks!

Welcome aboard, MD! I agree with the gang that the RJ books are best read in order, but you'll need tremendous willpower not to read any that come your way as soon as you find them. You will never be disappointed in a Paul Wilson novel. Never. And as to the out-of-print, hard-to-find stuff, try bn.com for used copies. (Hadda say that as I work for B&N.)
Biggles   08-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Welcome aboard, MD! I agree with the gang that the RJ books are best read in order, but you'll need tremendous willpower not to read any that come your way as soon as you find them. You will never be disappointed in a Paul Wilson novel. Never. And as to the out-of-print, hard-to-find stuff, try bn.com for used copies. (Hadda say that as I work for B&N.)

Well, I don't work for B&N, although I drink my share of latte there. Try EBay, Amazon.com, and ABE Books online too.

Pages (2):    1 2