Sigokat   04-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I watched The Kingdom for the first time last night and I just wanted to say a few things about it...

1. Some of the cultural "dos" and don'ts" were way off. With the number of Middle Easterners in the film I would think they could have done some better research on this.

2. They elluded alot to oil which makes me think that this film was made as a subtle anti-war/anti-US government film, but I'm not entirely sure...nor do I care.

3. And most importantly the "attack" scene at the beginning and the last lines spoken by both Jaime Foxx and the young Arab jabbed at me as very real reminders of why myself and my comrades are over here, fighting. And as my eyes welled up with tears at the senseless killings during the terrorist attack my heart swelled with pride for what myself and my comrades in arms do for a living and what we've sacrificed.

If you haven't seen this movie watch it if you want, or don't. I don't really care one way or the other, but I thought I would share my thoughts about it with you all.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-09-2008, 02:34 PM
sigokat Wrote:I watched The Kingdom for the first time last night and I just wanted to say a few things about it...

1. Some of the cultural "dos" and don'ts" were way off. With the number of Middle Easterners in the film I would think they could have done some better research on this.

2. They elluded alot to oil which makes me think that this film was made as a subtle anti-war/anti-US government film, but I'm not entirely sure...nor do I care.

3. And most importantly the "attack" scene at the beginning and the last lines spoken by both Jaime Foxx and the young Arab jabbed at me as very real reminders of why myself and my comrades are over here, fighting. And as my eyes welled up with tears at the senseless killings during the terrorist attack my heart swelled with pride for what myself and my comrades in arms do for a living and what we've sacrificed.

If you haven't seen this movie watch it if you want, or don't. I don't really care one way or the other, but I thought I would share my thoughts about it with you all.

Good info, sig. Thanks.

And thanks so much for your service.

Please pass that thought on to your command: Thank you!
Schwinn160   04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Aren't ALL current war films anti-US/anti-war?

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing."
Benjamin Franklin

I'm the original me©. Big Grin
Sigokat   04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Perhaps, but I wouldn't necessarily catagorize The Kingdom as a "war film" either.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Schwinn160   04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
sigokat Wrote:Perhaps, but I wouldn't necessarily catagorize The Kingdom as a "war film" either.

Ahhh... I haven't seen it, but it's to be expected that anything coming from Hollywood is going to be Anti-everything good. Rolleyes

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing."
Benjamin Franklin

Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Schwinn160 Wrote:Ahhh... I haven't seen it, but it's to be expected that anything coming from Hollywood is going to be Anti-everything good. Rolleyes

But it's a pleasure to note, Ben, the anti-American flicks are, without exception, tanking at the box office.
Schwinn160   04-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:But it's a pleasure to note, Ben, the anti-American flicks are, without exception, tanking at the box office.

And what a pleasure it is! Big Grin

Benjamin Franklin

bones weep tedium   04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I thought that this film was pretty poor when I watched it.

I did think that - despite the film's final sentiments - it was a very black vs white/goodies vs baddies type story.

I think that it was a film at odds with itself. If it wants to do a cowboys and indians story, it should be filmed in a more upbeat artifical way. As it is, it is filmed in a cool cinema verite Children Of Men style, that I think makes it over-simplifications even more obvious.

And yes, I concur 100% with Sigokat; watch it if you want, or don't watch it if you dont. I'm not your mother, I couldnt care less what time you go to bed at night. :eek:

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."