Pages (2): 1 2   
Ashrael   02-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I need a 'Fix Index', a document that lists each of the fixes Jack's used and the circumstances he found himself in that led to that solution. I'm trying to convince someone that they did not see several of the scenes I've described in 'some movie somewhere', but can't recall the names of the books for each fix, offhand.

Is there such a document, or have I just painted myself into the dreaded corner of 'I need this but it doesn't exist ... yet'?

Of course, if he has seen (for example) a helicopter dumping tires and oil on a crime boss during a party, I think FPW should be made aware of the name of the film or television show, the production company, and where to find their lawyers' soft underbellies. Wink

[SIZE="1"]Louis Armstrong: First trumpet player to set foot on the moon.
Martin Luther: Leader of the Protestant Reformation and icon for the American civil rights movement.
David Bowie: Rock star, inventor of the Bowie knife, faked his death at the Alamo to go on tour as Ziggy Stardust.

Don't believe me? Ask any kid who attends public schools.[/SIZE]
Dave F   02-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Sounds like you might just have found yourself a project Ashrael!

The artist formally known as Britfan
phoenix rising   02-24-2008, 01:41 PM
The best part is, you get to go all the way back to the beginnig, and re-read all the books, ot get the complete list of fixes, in detail!Big Grin
Alvin Fox   02-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Recently I decided to reread all of the Repairman Jack novels before By the Sword comes out in May/June from Gauntlet. So I'm currently four chapters into Rakoshi (The Tomb). In that time there's been one completed fix, one fix in progress and the story of Jack's first fix. I could make notes as I go through all the books again. But isn't there talk of some compendium coming out? Or will that be after the main storyline finished? When events link up to Nightworld. That would make more sense. Having a list of fixes in the compendium would be cool.
Ashrael   02-26-2008, 02:35 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:Recently I decided to reread all of the Repairman Jack novels before By the Sword comes out in May/June from Gauntlet. So I'm currently four chapters into Rakoshi (The Tomb). In that time there's been one completed fix, one fix in progress and the story of Jack's first fix. I could make notes as I go through all the books again. But isn't there talk of some compendium coming out? Or will that be after the main storyline finished? When events link up to Nightworld. That would make more sense. Having a list of fixes in the compendium would be cool.

Something along the lines of:

<FIX TITLE>
<Description of circumstances and Jack's solution>
<Book/Page #>

With an associated index at the end so that people can look up any fix by whatever details they might remember. Entries would exist for 'rubber eyes', 'tires', 'helicopter', etc. All alphabetical, since I haven't the foggiest how to order/organize the fixes themselves (coolness factor? chronological order?).

I guess I'll have to buy the YA books, too, or get someone who's read/reading them to contribute notes. :p

Martin Luther: Leader of the Protestant Reformation and icon for the American civil rights movement.
David Bowie: Rock star, inventor of the Bowie knife, faked his death at the Alamo to go on tour as Ziggy Stardust.

Alvin Fox   02-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Due to different books and formats I think chapter/ subchapter would be easier than page number. Of course I'm just thinking of The Tomb and its four (?) different copies/formats. 1st edition hardback and paperback, the definitive paperback and Borderlands Rakoshi. Most of the Repairman Jack books I only have the Gauntlet editions. (If anyone knows where I can find a copy of The Haunted Air that won't bankrupt me...)
Ashrael   02-26-2008, 04:07 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:Due to different books and formats I think chapter/ subchapter would be easier than page number. Of course I'm just thinking of The Tomb and its four (?) different copies/formats. 1st edition hardback and paperback, the definitive paperback and Borderlands Rakoshi. Most of the Repairman Jack books I only have the Gauntlet editions. (If anyone knows where I can find a copy of The Haunted Air that won't bankrupt me...)

Well, my roommate left my hardback 1st edition printing of Haunted Air at a Walmart in Martinsburg, WV a few years ago. Since the wonderful people at their customer service desk (who assured me over the phone that the book was at their desk, in their possession) lost the book after recovering it, maybe you'll have more luck than I did in getting it back?

But you're right about the page #s. Chapter and subchapter might be the way to go, given all the various reprints and the like.

phoenix rising   02-26-2008, 09:09 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:Due to different books and formats I think chapter/ subchapter would be easier than page number. Of course I'm just thinking of The Tomb and its four (?) different copies/formats. 1st edition hardback and paperback, the definitive paperback and Borderlands Rakoshi. Most of the Repairman Jack books I only have the Gauntlet editions. (If anyone knows where I can find a copy of The Haunted Air that won't bankrupt me...)

Amazon.com
Alvin Fox   02-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Ouch about The Haunted Air. Just did some looking. The only Gauntlet edition I can find is at $600. And it's an ex library copy with stamps and stickers. You'd think that would devalue a collector's copy.

Anyway, I've just realized how big of a project this is. No idea on what to name the fixes either. Here's a partial...

SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't read The Tomb/ Rakoshi

Jack's First Fix

Mr. Vito Canelli's yard was completely destroyed by two vehicles driving over it. A black van and yellow Camaro. Jack approached Mr. Canelli and said he could fix it. Together, and under cover of night, Jack and Mr. Canelli planted yews around the perimeter of the yard. Behind each yew they partially buried 4 foot long iron pipes filled with cement. When Mr. Canelli finally had his yard looking good again the vehicles came back and were totaled when they ran into the iron pipes. Mr. Canelli paid Jack $50.

The Tomb (Rakoshi)/ Chapter 3, subchapter 4

I don't know about the index. Ummm... Pick some words out of the fix description. Camaro, iron pipe, Mr. Canelli, yard, yew.

It's easy when the whole fix only spans 3 pages.
Ashrael   02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:I don't know about the index. Ummm... Pick some words out of the fix description. Camaro, iron pipe, Mr. Canelli, yard, yew.

It's easy when the whole fix only spans 3 pages.

Something like that, yeah. The rough part is going to be explaining the long, drawn-out fixes. Naming them, though, is just an exercise in creativity. "Camaro Pole Vault" or "Booby Trapped Begonias" or the like.

Pages (2): 1 2