saynomore   01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Down with cold. Chest a nightmare of multi-colored mucus. Feel fine....until I cough. Then Death's cold finger scratches at my heart. And it's raining.

Anyway...

Been watching my backlog of tapes and dvds. Loved the ghost story, DORM, didn't care for CARVED: The Slit Mouthed Woman (some J-Horror).

Then I popped into the dusty VCR The Passion of Ayn (pronounced I AN, not Ann) Rand, starring Helen Mirren, Peter Fonda, et al. Great cast. This movie would make a great double-feature with HENRY & JUNE (the Henry Miller story with Fred Ward). Doesn't exactly show the bright side of Ms. Rand (was there a bright side?). Won't say anything else about this movie, but those who have seen it and are Libertarians, I'd sure like your opinion.

If you would like my copy of the tape, please PM me your address and I'll ship it off as soon as Death gets off my chest (this coming week, I predict). Please, I'd prefer a Libertarian get this tape. He or she can then pass it around to the non-Libertarians after watching it and sharing an opinion of the film's accuracy.

Thanks. Stay healthy, folks. It's cold out.

AC
fpw   01-06-2008, 11:03 PM
[SIZE="3"]Rand had a brilliant mind. She gave us proto-libertarians a vocabulary and a rhetoric to express ourselves, and for that I shall be eternally grateful. But she built a cult of personality wherein she became the wrathful goddess. If you disagreed you were cast out. Her written word retains its brilliance, but her personal life was a mess.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Rand had a brilliant mind. She gave us proto-libertarians a vocabulary and a rhetoric to express ourselves, and for that I shall be eternally grateful. But she built a cult of personality wherein she became the wrathful goddess. If you disagreed you were cast out. Her written word retains its brilliance, but her personal life was a mess.[/SIZE]

Amen, brother. I don't believe she understood how folks =operate=. She once asked an acolyte (and that is the term), "Your wife believes in God. She is a Christian. How can you possibly love her? What is wrong with you?"
Schwinn160   01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Amen, brother. I don't believe she understood how folks =operate=. She once asked an acolyte (and that is the term), "Your wife believes in God. She is a Christian. How can you possibly love her? What is wrong with you?"

Many brilliant people have holes somewhere. I guess the can't be great all around; they, like all good things, must have a downside. Smile

Love her books, and I recommend them often to others. My college professor thought I was having to read it for a project or something. He couldn't understand that I was reading it for FUN! Big Grin
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Schwinn160 Wrote:Many brilliant people have holes somewhere. I guess the can't be great all around; they, like all good things, must have a downside. Smile

Love her books, and I recommend them often to others. My college professor thought I was having to read it for a project or something. He couldn't understand that I was reading it for FUN! Big Grin

It's true that many smart hombres and hombresses can miss the obvious. But for Rand not to recognize, and understand, and respect, the heart has its own reasons, vitiates her whole body of thought for me. And I can't really respect anyone who can't confide, "Well, I think this, but I could be wrong." She never did.
Ken Valentine   01-07-2008, 03:51 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Rand had a brilliant mind. She gave us proto-libertarians a vocabulary and a rhetoric to express ourselves, and for that I shall be eternally grateful. But she built a cult of personality wherein she became the wrathful goddess. If you disagreed you were cast out. Her written word retains its brilliance, but her personal life was a mess.[/SIZE]

I heartily agree!

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
saynomore Wrote:(pronounced I AN, not Ann)

As she said; "it rhymes with Mine."

Hope you get better soon. I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Ken V.