Pages (2):    1 2
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Miskatonic & Gin' Wrote:ATMOM will be VERY tough to pull off. But Guillermo is probably the only one that could do it so I'm very much looking forward to it. It's not a sure thing as of right now though. Here is a link to an interview with him from Ain't It Cool News in which he talks about ATMOM and Hellboy II among other things:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35142

I don't believe ATMOM is filmable. It's just not that type of story. THE WHISPERER IN DARKNESS...maybe. I think Lovecraft's tales (and I love them) are heavy on ELDRITCH ATMOSPHERE:eek:, light in the things that make a compelling flick. RE-ANIMATOR was fun, but it wasn't Lovecraft.
RichE   01-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree. When I mentioned that a lot of filmmakers used the Lovecraft name to make gore/sex films-I got a lot of VERY angree e-mails (FILMS IN REVIEW-Call Of Cthulhu dvd review). I thought the tv series "Night Gallery"did a pretty good job ("Pickman's Model", "Cool Air").
RichE   01-10-2008, 02:59 PM
tenebroust Wrote:This one is news to me! I loved the silent C of C, it was very faithful to the original and quite good. I gotta now look into Whisperers!!

Sean e-mailed me awhile back and said this was the next one-I'm rootin for him and the gang!
RichE   01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
OOOPPPPSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! FORGOT!!!!!!!
For all you like minded fans of the BIG LOVE go to http://www.LURKERFILMS.COM and see what awaits you......
Sigokat   01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I thought that In the Mouth of Madness was a decent film with Lovcraftian themes. Sam Neill is a great actor and of course the film wouldn't have been nearly as good without him though or Jurgen Prochnow (sp?)

The brief view of the monsters in the film were very Lovecratian/Cthulu and the storys' of the missing writers were close as well.

It was definitely better then any movie that has been made that was actually based off of a Lovecraft story IMO...remember The Dunwich Horror?

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
RichE   01-10-2008, 03:38 PM
sigokat Wrote:I thought that In the Mouth of Madness was a decent film with Lovcraftian themes. Sam Neill is a great actor and of course the film wouldn't have been nearly as good without him though or Jurgen Prochnow (sp?)

The brief view of the monsters in the film were very Lovecratian/Cthulu and the storys' of the missing writers were close as well.

It was definitely better then any movie that has been made that was actually based off of a Lovecraft story IMO...remember The Dunwich Horror?

Don't forget "THE HAUNTED PALACE" (Case Of Charles Dexter Ward) which I thought was pretty good. Also "THE CRIMSON CULT" (Dreams Of The Witch House) with Karloff and Lee.
Sigokat   01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
RichE Wrote:Don't forget "THE HAUNTED PALACE" (Case Of Charles Dexter Ward) which I thought was pretty good. Also "THE CRIMSON CULT" (Dreams Of The Witch House) with Karloff and Lee.

Ah I can't remember every seeing those...so I will retact my earlier statement and say the best film with Lovecraftian themes that I have seen...that way I don't piss anyone off (which I'm extremely good at on this board) Wink

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
RichE   01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Don't woory Bud-no offense here! As big the film buff/collector as I am I think I've pissed off just about every fanboy in creation (although my friends Bill Knight-MIDNIGHT VIDEO and Keith Crocker-Cinefear-might contest that!)
Seriously-track them down and check them out. I think you will really like what you see......
Wapitikev   04-24-2008, 11:44 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:IMDb Link

I'm sure it's entirely too early to get excited over this, and yet . . . :eek:

Cronos, The Devils Backbone, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth. . . this guy's done some incredible movies, can't wait to see how he handles this! Hellboy has so much Lovecrafty references in it that he's a perfect choice to do this.

It was announced today that GDT will move to NZ for 4 years to do the Hobbit and the LOTR sequel.

This means 2 things.

ATMOM will not appear until 2014. :mad:

GDT will have insane (no pun intended) amounts of money to devote to doing ATMOM properly. Cool

That means that 2010 to 2014 will be almost as big a dream come true for a geek like me as was 2001 to 2005 with LOTR and KONG.

Could you imagine how freaking amazing ATMOM could be if GDT directed ATMOM and co-produced it with PJ! :eek:

I am offically in JRRT and HPL geek heaven!

Now, if only we can get them to do RJ1 in there somewhere. Hmmn.

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 04-24-2008, 11:51 PM by Wapitikev.

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
jimbow8   04-25-2008, 09:11 PM
RichE Wrote:And don't forget all-Sean Branney and his crew (who did the 2005 silent "THE CALL OF CTHULHU") are working on "WHISPERERS IN THE DARKNESS". More Lovecraft Please!

I found Call of Cthulhu to be very effective. The silent-movie style negated any "corniness" in the script or the acting. The stop-action monster at the end could've been better, though; that was the only thing that detracted, imho.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (2):    1 2