Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
GunslingerAW   11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Spoilers below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated the ended. It made me feel like I wasted my time watching the movie. Every thing was good up until the end. The spiders creeped me out though. I slept with my 1911 under my pillow last night after watching it. I hate spiders.

I do have a theory about the movie though and a possible upcoming king movie. In the movie Tom Jane's character was an artist who painted posters for movies. If you notice in the back round, at the very begining when he is painting, you can see already finished posters for movies. Among them was the poster for Creepshow. Tom Jane's character was painting a poster for an upcoming movie. The poster was obviously for the Gunslinger. Just look at it. I am not sure what the last report was of an upcoming Dark Tower movie. Could the poster he was painting be a possible clue that it may be in the making?
bkwormonthenet   11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
GunslingerAW Wrote:The poster was obviously for the Gunslinger. Just look at it. I am not sure what the last report was of an upcoming Dark Tower movie. Could the poster he was painting be a possible clue that it may be in the making?

I don't think it was for The Gunsliger, but it did, yes, feature the gunsliger himself in the poster. The painting was closer to the cover of the seventh book in the series, The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower. I say this because of the rose in the poster.

It was recently reported that King sold the film rights to the Dark Tower series to J.J. Abrams for a "symbolic" $19, largely because of King's faith in Abrams' ability to approach a long story series well. King concluded this due to his admiration for the TV series LOST, which Abrams created. I believe I read somewhere that Darabont had previously wanted to buy the rights, but King was seriously considering never allowing them to be adapted to film. Then he changed his mind.

No film for the series or even just the first book is yet in development officially, I think. King has mentioned it might be good as a mini-series vs. feature film(s), too.
This post was last modified: 12-02-2007, 02:45 AM by bkwormonthenet.

Sean

Oblivion   12-02-2007, 02:34 AM
It would appear the J.J. Abrams thing is true, although we would be waiting a long while yet I'm sure.

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/...tory.jhtml

Interestingly, it also says Darabont is looking at doing "The Long Walk" after his next film. That'd be another dark one to tell.
XiaoYu   12-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I saw this movie with a bunch of my classmates; we weren't impressed. I think I was the only one who'd read (heard, actually, on CD) the story beforehand, but I remember I didn't think it was one of King's better works because I hardly remembered any of it. I don't understand the high critical ratings for a movie I feel is rather outdated, both in plot and special effects. Was this a low-budget movie?

Unfortunately some of the scenes made us laugh when they were supposed to be devastating. I personally liked the twist at the end because it was more shocking than the end of the original story, but the rush in the tragic part, before the very end, ruined the effect for me. The decision was made way too fast, and that took away the logic of the main character's actions. Maybe if there had been something attacking, the hurry would've made more sense.

I don't know if anyone else found the reason for the mist to be cheesy.

I liked the study on human nature though, which I guess is the main theme of the movie anyway. The religious carping was overdone, but the fall of civility through fear made me think of the Lord of the Flies.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Maggers   12-07-2007, 11:52 PM
XiaoYu Wrote:....I don't know if anyone else found the reason for the mist to be cheesy....

SPOILERS..........................

I got a kick out of that. If you read back over this thread, you'll see that not a few of us saw a resemblance to NIGHTWORLD, both in the things in the mist and the reason for the mist, i.e., a rent in the fabric of reality that allowed Otherness-like beings to come into our world. Cheesy is not a word I'd use to describe NIGHTWORLD, but, hey, that's what makes this board go 'round. Wink

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

XiaoYu   12-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Maggers Wrote:SPOILERS..........................

I got a kick out of that. If you read back over this thread, you'll see that not a few of us saw a resemblance to NIGHTWORLD, both in the things in the mist and the reason for the mist, i.e., a rent in the fabric of reality that allowed Otherness-like beings to come into our world. Cheesy is not a word I'd use to describe NIGHTWORLD, but, hey, that's what makes this board go 'round. Wink
Maybe I should've been more specific; I love the idea of alternate realities and holes connecting one world to another. After all, some of my favorite books revolve around that theme, Jack novels included.

What I thought was cheesy was the execution of introducing the source of the mist: the soldier sniveling and pointing a finger and saying, "the scientists did it, they opened a portal into another world". Just having a character state it outright like that was really corny to me. I wish they had either built on that more, and made it more real to the audience, or just never said it at all, but stayed with the subtle hints. They were doing enough with the whispers of the government project and the tanks whizzing by in the beginning.

(Edit: that's why I like how the Otherness is explained in Jack's world. Whenever it first comes up in any novel, FPW's always included an explanation geared especially towards the skeptic or starting reader, or even had a skeptical character, but then draws the skeptic character/reader into the reality of the Otherness through the plot. I think that's how it should've been done.)
This post was last modified: 12-08-2007, 12:13 AM by XiaoYu.

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
redheadmargo   12-08-2007, 12:55 AM
I don't know, saw the movie tonight and my husband, son and I all LOVED it....

Redheadmargo

"Freedoms just another word for nothin left to lose"

"Teen-agers scare the living s**t out of me"
Marc   12-08-2007, 01:08 AM
For all the comparisons to Nightworld one must remember "The Mist" was written first. So we must give credit where credit's due. Smile
jimbow8   12-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Marc B. Wrote:For all the comparisons to Nightworld one must remember "The Mist" was written first. So we must give credit where credit's due. Smile
I was going to post this same thing:

The Mist © 1980

Nightworld © 1993

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Aprilis   04-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I just watched it and
[spoiler]I thought the ending was better than in the book. Well, it was more optimistic ... for the world.
Less optimistic for Drayton.
I also think the ending was just wrong. and wrong doesnt make a bad ending.[/spoiler]
not really sure that is a spoiler but better safe than sorry Smile

Did anyone else think that Thomas Jane would make a good Jack?
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5