Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5
Barry Lee Dejasu   05-02-2008, 07:38 AM
For me, the ending was just a cheap way of being clever for cleverness' sake. It was a wholly unnecessary (and overly negative) gimmick to get people to remember the movie and to talk about it, and it really had little to do with the rest of the story in both tone and plot. I was sorely disappointed with the ending.

Funny things people complained about I Am Legend (the special effects and the ending) are the same problems I had with The Mist - except as a big fan of both respective books, I loved Legend, and was very mixed (mostly negative) about Mist.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Schwinn160   05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
You didn't think the rest of The Mist was true to the book?

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write something worth reading or do things worth the writing."
Benjamin Franklin

I'm the original me©. Big Grin
Kenji   05-10-2008, 05:56 AM
"Skeleton Crew" published in 1986 in Japan, and I read THE MIST in that book. 22 years later, finally I saw the movie version today. Today is the opening day.

I really enjoyed it. This is definitely Stephen King's typical story, like "The Langoliers" and "Desperation". The religious woman reminded me of Carrie's mother.

In this movie, the religious woman Mrs.Carmody annoyed me, but it was good effect for this movie. When old woman threw canned food to her, I wanted to shout "Good work!" :thumbsup:

Thomas Jane was okay. I'm glad Tom Cruise or Nicolas Cage didn't play David.

As for special effect, I liked rubber-made tentacles. If it was CG and it had speedy moves, I wouldn't feel it realistic. Giant bugs and bird-like creatures were very creepy. And a lot of little spiders in the drugstore! Ewwwwww! :yikes: Those scenes truly looked like NIGHTWORLD.

[SIZE="3"]:crossedlips: * * * * * Spoilers * * * * *[/SIZE]

[SPOILER]I know some people hated that ending. But to me, it was okay. If it was typical happy end, there's nothing. Just the end and get out, then it would become one of forgettable movies. :dontknow:

I won't forget that ending. THE MIST's ending was hopeless like "Pet Sematary".[/SPOILER]
Barry Lee Dejasu   05-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Schwinn160 Wrote:You didn't think the rest of The Mist was true to the book?

Well, the REST of the movie was pretty well-adapted, but the ending...ugh, it really did ruin the story for me.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
webby   05-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Kenji Wrote:
[SIZE="3"]:crossedlips: * * * * * Spoilers * * * * *[/SIZE]

[SPOILER]I know some people hated that ending. But to me, it was okay. If it was typical happy end, there's nothing. Just the end and get out, then it would become one of forgettable movies. :dontknow:

I won't forget that ending. THE MIST's ending was hopeless like "Pet Sematary".[/SPOILER]

Kenji, the last part of your spoiler is a very good observation. I didn't make that connection, but you are absolutely right. The film ending for The Mist is very much a Stephen King ending, which is probably why I also thought it worked just fine. :yesnod:

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maggers   05-10-2008, 02:59 PM
webby Wrote:Kenji, the last part of your spoiler is a very good observation. I didn't make that connection, but you are absolutely right. The film ending for The Mist is very much a Stephen King ending, which is probably why I also thought it worked just fine. :yesnod:
I agree with Kenji and Webby. The staggering ending resonates. I like movies that jar, that don't wrap things up nice and tidy.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

RichE   05-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I had mixed feelings about "The Mist". "I Am Legend" was to me just a pretty unoriginal remake of "The Omega Man" and a very sad example of the state of Hollywood. Some years ago Spielberg said he wanted to do "War Of The Worlds" as a peroid piece set in England. When he finally did it it became a crummy remake of the 1953 George Pal classic. I'll stick with the novels!
Miskatonic & Gin   05-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Weeks after I saw it I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending.

Cthulhu for President!

Why vote for a lesser evil? I can think of none better than the great old one, who should return from his slumber to take over the U.S. government and make this country a whole hell of a lot better as the leader of our executive branch. Or destroy it and drive everyone insane, kill us all, or something really nasty! Remember, Cthulhu for President, why vote for the lesser of two evils? Wink
Barry Lee Dejasu   05-11-2008, 09:34 AM
RichE Wrote:I had mixed feelings about "The Mist". "I Am Legend" was to me just a pretty unoriginal remake of "The Omega Man" and a very sad example of the state of Hollywood. Some years ago Spielberg said he wanted to do "War Of The Worlds" as a peroid piece set in England. When he finally did it it became a crummy remake of the 1953 George Pal classic. I'll stick with the novels!

It's funny how I'm the exact opposite of most people on these movies: I hated the ending of The Mist, I loved I Am Legend (and of *course* it was a remake, by the way - it was a re-adaptation of the original Richard Matheson novel; if anything, The Omega Man could be called a pretty unoriginal remake of The Last Man on Earth, and a very sad example of the state of Hollywood *then*), and I loved Spielberg's War of the Worlds. There, I said it.

Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5