Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
Scott Miller   11-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Having just started a new job, I have a new batch of co-workers and the topic of reading came up in conversation. The one person(out of nine) who reads mentioned she enjoyed King and Koontz so I casually asked if she knew F. Paul, she didn't Sad . I decided to correct that deficiency with The Keep. She started it right away and yesterday informed me that she wasn't sure she could continue because it was scaring her so badly. I convinced her to keep going, though.

Thought it might provide a smile for FPW.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
:d .............

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Noelie   11-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Honestly, I think The Keep is one of the scariest books I've ever read. :eek:

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Hyjinx   11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
well I can say that it didn't "scare" me in the traditional sense. But I did get many a shiver from the detail of the murder scenes. I can just picture and feel what it would be like...very creepy stuff
metllicamilitia   11-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I guess I'm just strange, I have yet to be scared by a book and since I was about 12 I have yet to be scared by a movie, although people will argue with that since I jump at some parts because of the loud noises. I hate that, it's really quite and then BOOM! I think it's becuase my imagination is about 10 times worse than anything I've ever read or seen.

"And the rain will kill us all, we throw ourselves against the wall, but no else can see, the preservation of the martyr in me" - [B]Corey Taylor
---------------------------------------------------
[/B]"I, am a worm before I am a man, I, was a creature before I could stand, I, will remember before I forget, before I forget this" - [B]Corey Taylor
---------------------------------------------------
[/B]"Dead visions in your name, dead fingers in my veins, dead memories in my heart" - Corey Taylor
linusvanpelt   11-03-2007, 04:48 PM
My wife and I went to Conn. to a B&B right after I finished The Keep. There was a room that was all brick. There was a wooden sign above the doorway to the room. It was labled The KEEPING ROOM!!!. It scared the heck out of me.

Linus
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Having just started a new job, I have a new batch of co-workers and the topic of reading came up in conversation. The one person(out of nine) who reads mentioned she enjoyed King and Koontz so I casually asked if she knew F. Paul, she didn't Sad . I decided to correct that deficiency with The Keep. She started it right away and yesterday informed me that she wasn't sure she could continue because it was scaring her so badly. I convinced her to keep going, though.

Thought it might provide a smile for FPW.

I'd say that's a =fine= tribute to Paul's fictioneering! (Assuming she was being honest, of course. She might have meant, "This book is boring the living life out of me, but I don't want to insult my new friend.")
redheadmargo   11-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know about that scenario, bluesman.....I stumbled across the Keep years ago at the library. I hadn't yet read any FPW and I was intrigued by the Nazi symbolism ( I have a HUGE fascination with WW2).

Well, to sum up, I was hooked on the man from that day on. I read everything the library had and then started my own library with anything and everything that I could find.

I have never looked back...lol

Redheadmargo

"Freedoms just another word for nothin left to lose"

"Teen-agers scare the living s**t out of me"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-05-2007, 09:43 AM
redheadmargo Wrote:I don't know about that scenario, bluesman.....I stumbled across the Keep years ago at the library. I hadn't yet read any FPW and I was intrigued by the Nazi symbolism ( I have a HUGE fascination with WW2).

Well, to sum up, I was hooked on the man from that day on. I read everything the library had and then started my own library with anything and everything that I could find.

I have never looked back...lol

I just suggested it as a possibility, redheadmargo. And you're certainly not alone in your WW2 interest. I think of the 1914-1918 as the start of Europe's self-immolation. A breather...then 1939-1945 finished the job. After the Reich's surrender, who was left on their feet with a hard punch left to throw? Stalin's USSR and the Good Old USA. The Grim Empire proved a hard nut to crack, but they cracked at last. "Internal contradictions," as a Marxist might say.Wink

And don't ever look back.

A rakosh might be gaining on you.:p
Scott Miller   11-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I just suggested it as a possibility, redheadmargo.

I don't think it is the case in her situation, she seemed to be legitimately horrified and drawn to it simultaneously.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4