Pages (2):    1 2
Ken Valentine   09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yes, at first, Jack's fixes jobs are his business, but soon his fix-jobs replace personal revenge.

There's a fine line between getting revenge and dispensing justice. In Jack's case, I think it's more a case of dispensing justice.

Ken V.
Kenji   09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:There's a fine line between getting revenge and dispensing justice. In Jack's case, I think it's more a case of dispensing justice.

Ken V.

Dispensing justice........yeah, I agree to that.
Auskar   09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Since reviews of this film (The Brave One) seem to be somewhat lukewarm, I'll probably wait to see it once it comes to cable. I didn't take the poll, so I don't know what is winning.

As far as the comparisons to Repairman Jack go, I still don't see it. The clip of Jodie Foster in the movie shows that she sets herself up to be a victim then shoots them. Jack helps people who have problems, though he will occasionally take care of someone he sees victimizing other people.

What Jack does differently is that he chooses a deserving target and, like Ken says, he dispenses justice. He doesn't wander the city looking for targets of opportunity. In my mind, there is a difference.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Auskar Wrote:Since reviews of this film (The Brave One) seem to be somewhat lukewarm, I'll probably wait to see it once it comes to cable. I didn't take the poll, so I don't know what is winning.

As far as the comparisons to Repairman Jack go, I still don't see it. The clip of Jodie Foster in the movie shows that she sets herself up to be a victim then shoots them. Jack helps people who have problems, though he will occasionally take care of someone he sees victimizing other people.

What Jack does differently is that he chooses a deserving target and, like Ken says, he dispenses justice. He doesn't wander the city looking for targets of opportunity. In my mind, there is a difference.

I have not seen the film, but the reviewers in the NY POST and DAILY NEWS liked it. John Podhoretz in NR found it a lame and contrived remake of DEATH WISH. And I trust Podhoretz's opinion a little more. (Well, as far as you can take seriously the opinion of someone who cannot =do= what he's passing judgement on, anyway.)
Pages (2):    1 2