RichE   09-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Intelligent! Insightful! Well Acted!
I thought this was beautifully done and really challanges the viewer. If you liked the original show and tv films you will love this.
Marc   09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
I watched it and thought it was alright. I was disappointed but that's probably because I don't want an extended episode but some sort of conclusion to the series as a whole.
RichE   09-06-2007, 01:44 AM
I always thought there were still stories to be told-before and after B5's destruction. This one really took the time to challange the viewer instead of the usual action story. I hope they really produce more!
SickThing   09-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I thought the Lochley story was pretty pedestrian and really could have been set anywhere---it had nothing to do with Babylon 5.

The second story was much better, overall. However, the entire disc suffered from an obvious incredibly low budget. The sets were virtually non-existent.

And while the dialogue concerning all the other main characters was pretty clunky ("Garibaldi was going to come, but something came up on Mars"), I did like the explanation that Stephen Franklin was off with G'Kar, exploring beyond the Rim (a reference to the late Richard Biggs's and the late Andreas Katsulas's characters).

I thought it was worth buying, but I found it a little disappointing due to the lackluster first story and the low budget.

And this from someone who thinks Babylon 5 is the best show ever made for TV (although Rome ranks right up there beside it). At least this was tons better than Legend of the Rangers.

Hunter
RichE   09-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I thought the first story was well done myself-the role of the church in the future and the idea the Devil really exists and the moral dilemma if one should reveal an exorcist to bring back the masses to the Church. Quite a choice and an excellent conclusion. The second story equally well done. It was because of this I looked past the flaws of the budget. Again, I thought it well done.
Auskar   09-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I don't know where you guys are watching this stuff at, but I lost interest in Babylon 5 before the end. I mean, Straczyinski said there was a five year story arc planned and everything seemed to go haywire before it got anywhere near that point. Babylon 5 lost its way early on.
Marc   09-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Auskar Wrote:I don't know where you guys are watching this stuff at, but I lost interest in Babylon 5 before the end. I mean, Straczyinski said there was a five year story arc planned and everything seemed to go haywire before it got anywhere near that point. Babylon 5 lost its way early on.

Babylon 5 was good through the fourth season. From what I understand he actually had the series outlined for five seasons but when they weren't sure if they were going to have a fifth season they escalated the storyline and wrapped everything up in season four. Then they were renewed for a fifth season, most of which lacked any connection to the overall arcs of the series.

Interestingly enough the series finale (season fives final episode) was actually the season four finale but when they got renewed they wrote a new season four finale.
SickThing   09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Marc B. is correct. The Babylon 5 producers were in fact told that there would be no fifth season because the syndication company was disappearing. So JMS started moving up all the Season 5 events into Season 4 so there would be closure to the series. Then, near the last minute, TNT picked up the show for a fifth season. That left gaping holes in the original Season 5 storyline, and it was filled in as best they could. That meant that the whole telepath storyline was dragged out way too long. On top of that, there was a contract renewal dispute with Claudia Christian (I've given up trying to determine the truth, as both sides present "truths" that differ greatly), so Ivanova disappeared and the remainder of her story arc was shifted to Captain Lochley (Tracy Scoggins), a change that never really worked very well. But none of that would have happened if they'd not been cancelled then got the last-minute reprieve.

I thought the first story in The Lost Tales was good, I just didn't think it was a good B5 story. I expected The Lost Tales to focus on B5-centric stories, and that first story could have been set anywhen, anywhere in the future....
SickThing   09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Auskar Wrote:I don't know where you guys are watching this stuff at,

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales is a new, direct-to-DVD production that came out a couple of months ago.

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales at Amazon.com

Hunter
Flinx   09-20-2007, 01:04 AM
I have to wait until Jan '08 before I can watch. That'ts the release time for Australia.
I could buy the US edition (region 1) but because I have all the rest of the series in Australian (region 4) I'll wait.