Pages (2):    1 2
Ken Valentine   09-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Maggers Wrote:I couldn't disagree more. Luis Guzman is the consummate Latino New Yorker and his body shape should have no bearing on his ability to play the role. He's always fun to watch and he's sly. I think he'd make a great Julio.

The "image" of Julio that I get from the novels is as he's described: short, very heavily muscled, pencil line moustache, slicked-back hair, tends to wear sleeveless sweatshirts and nasty-smelling cologne. There's no mention of his age.

Although Louis Guzman doesn't fit the image in my mind, I agree that he'd still be great for the part.

Ken V.
GeraldRice   09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Maggers Wrote:I couldn't disagree more. Luis Guzman is the consummate Latino New Yorker and his body shape should have no bearing on his ability to play the role. He's always fun to watch and he's sly. I think he'd make a great Julio.

To me, Julio's physical condition plays into his character. He's short and heavily muscled, a Napoleon complex if there ever was one. I wouldn't have a problem with Guzman if he had the will to get muscled up. He just wouldn't look right if he was the same chubby chub that he is in every movie. But I have no problem with Guzman as an actor.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Dave F   09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:Luis Guzman is too fat to play Julio (and too old). Unless he can slim down and muscle up I can't agree.

Not sure about too old, but I agree there someone with a better build

Danny Trejo

I seem to be alone on this one - but the guy is Julio for me

[Image: desperado_20.jpg]

The artist formally known as Britfan
Kenji   09-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I think John Leguizamo is perfect to Julio.
webby   09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Britfan Wrote:Not sure about too old, but I agree there someone with a better build

Danny Trejo

I seem to be alone on this one - but the guy is Julio for me

[Image: desperado_20.jpg]

Too tall.

Kenji Wrote:I think John Leguizamo is perfect to Julio.

Too young.

A somewhat more muscular Luis Guzman... Perfect!

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Al-Dog   09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
webby Wrote:Too tall.
I had thought Danny Trejo was tall, but according to IMDb he’s only 5' 6½".

Quote:A somewhat more muscular Luis Guzman... Perfect!
How about Oscar Gutiérrez (aka Rey Mysterio)? I don’t know if he can act, but physically, he’d be perfect for the part.
webby   09-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Al-Dog Wrote:I had thought Danny Trejo was tall, but according to IMDb he’s only 5' 6½".

:eek: That's amazing - I had no idea! Man, you just can't trust Hollywood! :p

Al-Dog Wrote:How about Oscar Gutiérrez (aka Rey Mysterio)? I don’t know if he can act, but physically, he’d be perfect for the part.

I'm still pretty well set on Luis Guzman, although now that I know Danny Trejo is barely taller than me, I may eventually change my mind. More importantly, they're both fine actors.

I'd rather compromise a little bit on the physical attributes if necessary to get good actors.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Noelie   09-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Even though Luis Guzman's build is wrong, he's still who I have seen (and heard) in my head since the first RJ book I ever read. He just fits the part, to me. Wink

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
GeraldRice   09-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd rather see a guy we're not familiar with. Danny Trejo would probably be fine (despite his advanced age- I think he's near 60) if not for the fact we've seen him EVERYWHERE. He's almost a ca-ri-ca-ture (I just realized I'm not sure how to spell that).

I always pictured Julio as younger. Maybe 20-ish looking but somewhere in his 30s. How about Jay Hernandez from Hostel? Give him a little mustache and throw some muscle on him; I think he could work. And he's a pretty good actor.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Pages (2):    1 2