Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Noelie   07-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Hrm. When I read Reprisal, I didn't even think about cell phones. Maybe I went into it mindful of when it was written. Or something.
jimbow8   07-15-2004, 12:43 PM
Like Scott, I never got the impression that Rafe or anyone else was actually calling, but more that it was a curse or a haunting. It came directly from the Otherness, not from an agent of the Otherness, per se.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   07-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Ken V. Wrote:Well, what do you think?

Scott Miller Wrote:As a rule I try not to and most will tell you I'm pretty successful.

I understand. They used to tell me it would make me go blind.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   07-15-2004, 01:02 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Like Scott, I never got the impression that Rafe or anyone else was actually calling, but more that it was a curse or a haunting. It came directly from the Otherness, not from an agent of the Otherness, per se.

These different interpretations are interesting.

My impression is that Rafe hates Will, and was doing the phone thing as a form of torture.

Ken V.
jimbow8   07-15-2004, 01:07 PM
BTW, Catman,
***MAJOR SPOILER ALERT***
You may not want to read these.

Ken Valentine Wrote:These different interpretations are interesting.

My impression is that Rafe hates Will, and was doing the phone thing as a form of torture.

Ken V.
So you thought it was Rafe doing an "impersonation" on the phone? Hmmm. I always interpretted it as coming "from the past," or "through the ether," or from the ghost of the "speaker" on the other end. Admittedly, controlled by Rafe and/or the Otherness but not directly perpetrated by Rafe.
This post was last modified: 07-15-2004, 01:12 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
InfinityLtd   07-15-2004, 01:40 PM
fpw Wrote:Catman: Jack will have no part in Reprisal, so read it. (Just remember that cell phones weren't in everyone's pocket when it was written.) But once you finish that you'll want to move on to Nightworld. Go ahead. I'm not going to change the storyline much. The only major change is that Jack won't have a Otherness learning curve. The minor things will be like, say, when he spots his first chew wasp, he'll recognize it, etc.

Paul and board:

Are these changes to Nightworld , etc., only for that fancy set or will the new editions also be released to the mass market?

Just curious.

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

"All things serve the Beam." -- Stephen King

Paper clips: the larval stage of coat hangers.
fpw   07-15-2004, 03:22 PM
InfinityLtd Wrote:Are these changes to Nightworld , etc., only for that fancy set or will the new editions also be released to the mass market?

Any new editions will be the revised and definitive text.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
catman9   07-16-2004, 12:52 AM
fpw Wrote:Catman: Jack will have no part in Reprisal, so read it. (Just remember that cell phones weren't in everyone's pocket when it was written.) But once you finish that you'll want to move on to Nightworld. Go ahead. I'm not going to change the storyline much. The only major change is that Jack won't have a Otherness learning curve. The minor things will be like, say, when he spots his first chew wasp, he'll recognize it, etc.

For all the responses. FPW, if you aren't going to change much, will there be another opportunity somewhere for Jack to take on Rasalom (remember I haven't read Reprisal or Nightworld so I don't know how final the end is). It looks like you've been leading up to Jack taking on the Otherness in a larger way, and I for one would love to see his story arc end in an apocolyptic confrontation (after at least a few more books to lead up to it. They are so good I don't want it to end soon),
catman9   07-16-2004, 12:57 AM
So thanks again for all of the input. Can't deal with not knowing everything I can.
Still hoping that there will be something major for Jack to do post Nightworld when I read it. Would hate to see it as the end of the "Great Battle". That would seem to make all Jack's other efforts against the Otherness mere footnotes in an epic that has already been decided.
This post was last modified: 07-16-2004, 12:58 AM by catman9.
jimbow8   07-16-2004, 09:28 AM
catman9 Wrote:(remember I haven't read Reprisal or Nightworld so I don't know how final the end is). It looks like you've been leading up to Jack taking on the Otherness in a larger way, and I for one would love to see his story arc end in an apocolyptic confrontation
That final apocalyptic confrontation IS Nightworld.

Pages (4):    1 2 3 4