Pages (2): 1 2   
RichE   07-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I've been hammering TCM to get them to run new copies of THE BOWERY BOYS which are now owned by Warner Brothers. How about some help from you lovers of the lowbrow?
Go to TCM website and hit "Suggest A Movie".
I used to watch them on WNEW Channel 5 NY back in the 60's-80's and got hooked and actually saw a copy of "THE PHYNX" just for the Gorcey/Hall cameo.
Name your favorites!
Ken Valentine   07-19-2007, 04:17 AM
RichE Wrote:I've been hammering TCM to get them to run new copies of THE BOWERY BOYS which are now owned by Warner Brothers. How about some help from you lovers of the lowbrow?
Go to TCM website and hit "Suggest A Movie".
I used to watch them on WNEW Channel 5 NY back in the 60's-80's and got hooked and actually saw a copy of "THE PHYNX" just for the Gorcey/Hall cameo.
Name your favorites!

I remember seeing some of them back in the '50's, but that's all I remember.

Ken V.
RichE   07-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Watching and hearing Leo Gorcey murder the English language is worth the price of admission!
NewYorkjoe   07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
RichE Wrote:Watching and hearing Leo Gorcey murder the English language is worth the price of admission!

RichE I don't know if you are aware of how The Bowery Boys got their start. First there was a Broadway play, then a film of the same name, starring Humphrey Bogart called "Dead End." Originally, they were called "The Dead End Kids." The Dead End where the film/play takes place looked a lot like old York Ave., down in the Fifties, not far from Sutton Place/Square.

Then, they started making B movies as "The East Side Kids." That Sunday afternoon show on WNEW (Channel 5) was titled "East Side Comedy." The same studio on East 68th St. gave us "Wonderama" and "The Soupy Sales Show." Later, they became "The Bowery Boys," but the Bowery is some miles from the Dead End, where the "Dead End Kids" got their start (they were all sons of Broadway actors/actresses). The first demonstration I ever saw was when WNEW was going to cancel Soupy Sales. Kids picketed the studio for days.

I met Huntz Hall briefly backstage of the Johnny Carson Show (before it moved to California). Did you know that Louie, who ran Louie's Sweet Shop, was Leo Gorcey's father? Also, "Slip" Mahoney was supposed to have started out as "Spit" Mahoney, but I like "Slip" better.

I just bought "One-Eyed Jacks," on DVD and in the case was a brochure showing a lot of other old movies you can order, among them about a dozen "Bowery Boys" films, like "Bowery Brigade," and two or three with Bela Lugosi!

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
RichE Wrote:Watching and hearing Leo Gorcey murder the English language is worth the price of admission!

He didn't =murder= it, Rich. He just smacked it around some. And it had it comin'.
fpw   07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:He didn't =murder= it, Rich. He just smacked it around some. And it had it comin'.
[SIZE="3"]There was no murder involved, only "moidah."[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-29-2007, 09:59 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]There was no murder involved, only "moidah."[/SIZE]

Spoke like wonna de boys!
RichE   07-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Dat was indeed da most skinualting discussin about the rotovation about Slip, Satch and de gang. As I was perhoving the memory of de boys I couldn't help but be Philitatin in myrth.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-29-2007, 10:51 PM
RichE Wrote:Dat was indeed da most skinualting discussin about the rotovation about Slip, Satch and de gang. As I was perhoving the memory of de boys I couldn't help but be Philitatin in myrth.

Clearly, a fella who saw de inside of junior high school before de winds of fate sailed him to destiny!
phoenix rising   07-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Or bought the Mike Tyson Edition of Hooked on Phonics
Pages (2): 1 2