Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7   
Kenji   07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
A few weeks ago, I received email from Thomas Monteleone of Borderlands Press. He asked me about Japanese title of "Black Wind". You know it's "Kuroi Kaze". So I built Japanese characters by paint, and I sent it to him.

Now, finally, the cover design has finished. This is it!

http://www.borderlandspress.com/

I checked it, but...... Second character's position is a wrong. It need to turn 90 degree left!

I'm not sure it's intentionally or typo....well, but it's cool. Wink
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Kenji Wrote:A few weeks ago, I received email from Thomas Monteleone of Borderlands Press. He asked me about Japanese title of "Black Wind". You know it's "Kuroi Kaze". So I built Japanese characters by paint, and I sent it to him.

Now, finally, the cover design has finished. This is it!

http://www.borderlandspress.com/

I checked it, but...... Second character's position is a wrong. It need to turn 90 degree left!

I'm not sure it's intentionally or typo....well, but it's cool. Wink

I'd bet it was just carelessness, Kenji, but why not ask them? Explain that your good reputation has suffered, and that unless they come up with a few free copies, they might be facing a trans-Pacific lawsuit.:eek:
Blake   07-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Has it gone to print yet? Maybe it can still be fixed. I know the book itself hadn't gone to print as of about two weeks ago. I'm not sure about now....

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Biggles   07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I'd bet it was just carelessness, Kenji, but why not ask them? Explain that your good reputation has suffered, and that unless they come up with a few free copies, they might be facing a trans-Pacific lawsuit.:eek:

I'd settle for one of the misprints--should be worth millions, millions I say! Wink

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Biggles Wrote:I'd settle for one of the misprints--should be worth millions, millions I say! Wink

Millions in a law suit, maybe. How could Paul hold his head up at the many conventions he attends with such a cover disfiguring his work? His peers snickering behind his back... And when the strong wine flows in the shank of the evening, laughing aloud in his face? Oh, the embarassment, oh, the despair!
Biggles   07-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Millions in a law suit, maybe. How could Paul hold his head up at the many conventions he attends with such a cover disfiguring his work? His peers snickering behind his back... And when the strong wine flows in the shank of the evening, laughing aloud in his face? Oh, the embarassment, oh, the despair!

Come on, Paul's peers will never snicker at him. They ENVY him! Even Steven King and Dean Koontz don't have a "cult"! You should have been at GU3. His fellow authors were mostly talking to us (Paul's "posse") at the breakout sessions. Everywhere Paul went he was followed by us acolytes. You tell 'im, brethren and sistern who were there!

Oh, and Paul was the only author whose fans got together in a separate banquet room for a wine reception and book signing session after the regular banquet.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Biggles Wrote:Come on, Paul's peers will never snicker at him. They ENVY him! Even Steven King and Dean Koontz don't have a "cult"! You should have been at GU3. His fellow authors were mostly talking to us (Paul's "posse") at the breakout sessions. Everywhere Paul went he was followed by us acolytes. You tell 'im, brethren and sistern who were there!

That was =before= this disgraceful cover. Nothing delights human beings more than to find the tiniest reason to bring down Those-On-High. See Dylan's career for illuminating examples. If Paul were driven, by this
artistic fiasco, to deal out his own brand of knuckleduster Jersey justice, why, I'd feel obligated to provide him with an alibi. Wouldn't you? (Though maybe that's not a question to ask a black-robed arbiter...Wink )
Kenji   07-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I'd bet it was just carelessness, Kenji, but why not ask them? Explain that your good reputation has suffered, and that unless they come up with a few free copies, they might be facing a trans-Pacific lawsuit.:eek:

I sent email to Mr. Monteleone about it, but no reply.....

I'm really worrying about it.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Kenji Wrote:I sent email to Mr. Monteleone about it, but no reply.....

I'm really worrying about it.

Well, I wouldn't gnaw my head off over it, Kenji. As the English say, "Worse things happen at sea."Wink
Paul R   07-18-2007, 06:20 AM
A similar (but by no means as serious) story....
When Wifey and I bought our house, we got it from two ladies, one of whom was a feng shui consultant, with her office decked out in feng shui wallpaper. She swore by this feng shui business, going so far as to drawing up each of us a feng shui plan. (Perhaps we should have guessed at this stage as to how clueless she was - according to her calculations, Wifey should have been sleeping in the east of the house and I had to sleep in the west!.... then again, maybe she was rightRolleyes !)
Anyway, a few weeks later, we had Wifey's brother and his wife over to stay. His wife speaks fluent Chinese. She took one look at the feng shui wallpaper in the office and pulled me aside to tell me that it was hung upside down.
Although on the surface it's a funny story, the sad thing is that people paid (and still pay, as far as I know) for her feng shui services.
Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7