saynomore   06-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Just came from seeing this movie. Wondered what Costner would do in serial killer territory. Liked the movie, though it was unnessarily busy for a simple horror flick.

Basically: Costner likes to kill people on the sly, but being a family man for years now, he's thinking about giving up the serial killing business. But his alter-ego, played by William Hurt (who steals the movie), keeps urging our Mr. Brooks not to give up the hobby that he loves. Demi Moore plays the detective tracking down the "thumbprint killer."

But rather than settle for a simple protagonist/antagonist plot, the powers-that-be decide to throw in another serial killer, a wannabe serial killer, and a messy divorce (for Detective Demi) that require some nimble knitting needles to tie up all these loose threads at the end.

And the movie seems to have two endings. The audience applauded the first ending, and awwwwed the second ending. I preferred the latter.

Still, I recommend the movie, if you catch it on a double feature (wink, wink, nod, nod); otherwise, wait for the rental.

AC
Kenji   06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Just now I checked trailer. Looks good. I didn't care about recent Costner's movies. "3000 Miles to Graceland" was silly. "Dragonfly" was boring. And I won't see "The Guardian". Though "Open Range" was good.....

Anyway, Costner's serial killer sounds interesting. I'll go to see it.

But, the title..."Mr.Brooks" is not good for thriller. "Mr.Brooks" remind me of Mel Brooks or Albert Brooks. "Mr.Brooks" feels like a comedy. Big Grin
saynomore   06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Kenji Wrote:Just now I checked trailer. Looks good. I didn't care about recent Costner's movies. "3000 Miles to Graceland" was silly. "Dragonfly" was boring. And I won't see "The Guardian". Though "Open Range" was good.....

Anyway, Costner's serial killer sounds interesting. I'll go to see it.

But, the title..."Mr.Brooks" is not good for thriller. "Mr.Brooks" remind me of Mel Brooks or Albert Brooks. "Mr.Brooks" feels like a comedy. Big Grin

One movie reviewer called Costner's character "the Batman of serial killers." He does dress to kill. Smile

AC
Tony H   06-04-2007, 09:27 PM
The second ending is due in part to this being a planned franchise. Costner wants to do at least three movies, says there is way more than meets the eye. I am interetsed in seeing where this goes.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
saynomore   06-05-2007, 08:25 PM
AsMoral Wrote:The second ending is due in part to this being a planned franchise. Costner wants to do at least three movies, says there is way more than meets the eye. I am interetsed in seeing where this goes.

Wow, a three parter? That's something I would like to see. So many doors were left open. And I'd love to see William Hurt's character again.

AC

P.S. The average age of the audience whom I saw the movie with was 50. Not one 20 to 30 year old in sight. A few couples walked out about 1/3 into the movie, but the people who remained applauded at the movie's end.
Kenji   02-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Just now I saw it on DVD. I enjoyed it, but it reminded me of "American Psycho" and "Raising Cain".

But it was not bad. That last scene was..........:yikes: