Pages (2): 1 2   
fpw   07-12-2004, 10:20 AM
This was a pleasant surprise. The trailers had had a reverse effect on me: Convinced me I did not want to see it. I mean, it stars Adam Sandler, and there’s something about him—a smug undertone? an air of self-satisfaction, like I’m Adam Sandler and you’re not? I’m not sure. Whatever it is, it puts me off. But my daughter rented it over the weekend and I got stuck watching it.

To my amazement, I liked it. Sandler didn’t bring a whole lot to the table. Drew Barrymore and the supporting cast were good, but the warm, wry, and clever script made the film. Sometimes great preformances can save a mediocre script, but I suspect this was one of those films where it was all on the page before the first frame was exposed.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   07-12-2004, 11:27 AM
fpw Wrote:This was a pleasant surprise. The trailers had had a reverse effect on me: Convinced me I did not want to see it. I mean, it stars Adam Sandler, and there’s something about him—a smug undertone? an air of self-satisfaction, like I’m Adam Sandler and you’re not? I’m not sure. Whatever it is, it puts me off. But my daughter rented it over the weekend and I got stuck watching it.

To my amazement, I liked it. Sandler didn’t bring a whole lot to the table. Drew Barrymore and the supporting cast were good, but the warm, wry, and clever script made the film. Sometimes great preformances can save a mediocre script, but I suspect this was one of those films where it was all on the page before the first frame was exposed.
I am a big Adam Sandler fan. I love his humor, but I can also understand why many people don't like him.

I would suggest you check out The Wedding Singer (a good straightforward comedy) and Punch-Drunk Love (spectacular performance by Sandler, though the movie is somewhat odd).

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Noelie   07-12-2004, 12:08 PM
I loved The Wedding Singer, and I thought Anger Management was the funniest movie I had seen in a long time. However, Jack Nicholson had a lot to do with that. I like Adam Sandler but, like Jimbo, I can understand why some folks don't like him.
Terry Willacker   07-12-2004, 12:58 PM
I would also recommend The Wedding Singer. It is the only Sandler movie I have liked. Of course, it also stars Drew Barrymore, who I usually like. (Although the second Charlie's Angels was awful.) I have actually skipped the last few Sandler movies because I thought The Water Boy and Big Daddy were pretty bad.
Lisa   07-12-2004, 01:35 PM
I love The Wedding Singer too, although I can't say much for most of his other comedies. I did try to watch Punch Drunk Love but it was just too weird for me to get through. He was good in it, though.

Lisa
Kenji   07-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately,Adam Sandler is not popular in Japan. Maybe, almost Japanese people doesn't know about him. Nevertheless, I like his movies. Specially,Anger Management is very funny. Punch Drunk Love is not comedy, but he was good.

Today, Saturday Night Live complete box DVD release in Japan. Contents are Best of Eddy Murphy, Best of Mike Myers, Best of Adam Sandler, and 25th anniversary.
Richard Kendrick   07-12-2004, 06:29 PM
12 Crazy Nights was really cute. The Water Boy and Billy Madison are good if you are into slapstic. I laughed.

RIK
Annice Burdeos   07-12-2004, 06:44 PM
I don't care much for Sandler and his type of comedy

And now he is remaking one of the best football films ever in The Longest Yard......
SDSwami   07-12-2004, 07:42 PM
I've always been mixxed about his movies. I loved The Wedding Singer and Billy Madison, but hated Big Daddy and The Waterboy. I did enjoy 50 First Dates though.
Hung By The Neck Til Dead   07-13-2004, 04:01 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I am a big Adam Sandler fan. I love his humor, but I can also understand why many people don't like him.

I would suggest you check out The Wedding Singer (a good straightforward comedy) and Punch-Drunk Love (spectacular performance by Sandler, though the movie is somewhat odd).

Sorry Jimbo, but I hated Punch Drunk Love, too much that was filmed didn't make sense.
Pages (2): 1 2