Marc   05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
I saw this last night and while it was slightly better than "Pirates 2" it still was WAY to long at 2 hours and 40 min. As usual the action goes on too long and story points are thrown out the window. We never learn why the voodoo lady resurrects Barbossa, Keith Richard's makes his cameo as Jack's father (though it is a completely wasted and pointless cameo), they introduce a new "character", Eclipso, for no reason and when they release her she doesn't do anything except create a whirlpool.

This is an action movie all the way with story as filler.
Kenji   05-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Today I saw "At World's End".

[SIZE="3"]*****SPOILER*****[/SIZE]

First, just one thing...EDIT!

Action scenes were great and I was excited, but, alas, 2 hours and 50 min were too long, indeed. Unfortunately, too many characters and abrupt forced plots messed up this movie. Depp was okay because he is main character. But I didn't care about Bloom as Will Turner and Knightley as Elizabeth any more. While fighting on the ship, their wedding scene was too silly.....oh, I forgot this is Disney movie. Rolleyes

I agree with Marc. This is great action flick with messes up the story.

[SIZE="5"]**********Major Spoiler**********[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]The best scene was an appearance of Will Turner as new captain of the Flying Dutchman. I think that scene was cool.[/SIZE]
Mike Hanson   05-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I saw this last night and while it was slightly better than "Pirates 2" it still was WAY to long at 2 hours and 40 min. As usual the action goes on too long and story points are thrown out the window. We never learn why the voodoo lady resurrects Barbossa, Keith Richard's makes his cameo as Jack's father (though it is a completely wasted and pointless cameo), they introduce a new "character", Eclipso, for no reason and when they release her she doesn't do anything except create a whirlpool. This is an action movie all the way with story as filler.

**Spoilers**

I pretty much agree with Marc's assessment of the film. It basically
left me as nonplussed as I felt after I had seen Spiderman III. I
just don't care about the characters anymore...they're...tired.

As for the VooDoo Lady, it seems to be more than strongly
implied that her resurrection of Barbossa was part of a
longshot albeit desperate plan on her part to kick off a series
of events that would eventually and inevitably lead to the
"freeing" and "release" of Calypso...and there are probably
expository scenes explaining such that were edited from
a longer cut of this still too lengthy movie.
This post was last modified: 05-27-2007, 10:01 AM by Mike Hanson.
Dave   05-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Mike Hanson Wrote:**Spoilers**
As for the VooDoo Lady, it seems to be more than strongly
implied that her resurrection of Barbossa was part of a
longshot albeit desperate plan on her part to kick off a series
of events that would eventually and inevitably lead to the
"freeing" and "release" of Calypso...and there are probably
expository scenes explaining such that were edited from
a longer cut of this still too lengthy movie.
SPOILERS..........

Calypso required the nine pieces of eight to be set free, Barbossa had on of the nine, ergo, she needed him to be back.

I think.

I didn't feel it was too long, but some of the characterisation was a bit dodgy, and the first thirty minutes I couldn't understand half the dialogue. Yes, everyone double crossed everyone, which make few of them likeable, but it's a pirate movie, so fit. I do think the Will and Elizabeth love story was a bit hackneyed.

I liked it, but it (and the second) didn't come close to the first.

Dave
Ashe   05-31-2007, 01:01 PM
The first 30 minutes or so of the movie just made me think I missed a movie somewhere.
Too much stuff going on where you had to ask yourself "Why are they doing that? Thats not how they were in the last movie."
jimbow8   05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Dave Wrote:I liked it, but it (and the second) didn't come close to the first.

Dave
The perfect summation

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft