fpw   05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
http://www.physorg.com/news97553109.html

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
bones weep tedium   05-06-2007, 07:45 AM
"He has a real personality. It strikes you immediately: This is an individual. You just have to look him in the eye to see that."

The same is true of any animal. My pet rats have all got very individual and distinct personalities, and when playing with them you can sometimes think you're playing with a friend who just can't speak.

This reminds me of a story I read in Wizard magazine a couple of years ago. The headline said something about 'Mutant's rights being contested in court' and the article started out by saying that the story line from the Xmen comics had finally bled over into the real world; there was a court in China who was deciding whether the characters from the XMen comics were Animanls or People.

As here, the point behind it all was cash; the import/export taxes are different on teddy bears from figurines. Because the Xmen are figures of people, they have to pay a higher rate of tax, so they were trying to argue that becasue the figures were of mutant superheroes they weren't people per se, and should really wualify for the lesser rate of tax reserved for toy versions of animals.

I think in the end they got the lower rate of tax. Wink
Barry Lee Dejasu   05-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Hell, if it ever gets that far, I'll vote pro-people for the chimps!

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
bones weep tedium   05-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Hell, if it ever gets that far, I'll vote pro-people for the chimps!

It'd be good if you could get some people legally declared to be animals as well.
Sam   05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
There was a documentary I watched about this chimp a few years ago. Kind of eerie and very sad. Oliver had that "look" in his eyes. Really does make you think.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/...d%3A429272

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
BK Akitas   05-06-2007, 12:26 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:It'd be good if you could get some people legally declared to be animals as well.

May I second this?

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
BK Akitas   05-06-2007, 12:46 PM
And why don't they just try to amend the current donation laws to allow citizens to fund animal care????

this is where the animal activists in the US started- by having 'ownership' replaced in some areas by 'guardianship'. these flakes get their way and there won't be a single companion animal allowed anywhere.

here's where it's going right now in the US...

CA assembly bill AB1634 is in committee now and gets heard again on May 14, this bill, titled the Healthy Pets Act, requires all companion animals be spayed or neutered by 4 months of age. exceptions will be made only for commercial breeers who meet unspecified kennel licensing requirements and unspecified fees (read- No Limit) set individually by each city and county- each city and county also has the right to set forth how many dog a kennel consists of and write their own restrictions for their operations.

Reponsible breeders already ensure that companion quality pets are spayed and nuetered at a reasonable age. They take back their progeny at any time in their lives for any reason. They financially support rescue and rehoming efforts, even removing pets from shelters to lessen the public burden and taking that upon themselves. They also fund research into major diseases and conditions, much of which directly benefits the human race (ie:genome projects). And for those watching the bottom line, competitive events (like the Eukanuba Invitational and Westminster and even the little 3000 dog show at your local fairgrounds) bring much needed tourism dollars to the cities they hold their venues in.

Activists like this would like to see all of that disappear. I look in my dogs' eyes and I can see emotion and intelligence too. Would I have them declared People to protect their rights? Why bother when I already do!

Not enough enforcement of existing laws, and just the same new writing of crap that only hurts the responsible people.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
webby   05-06-2007, 03:43 PM
BK Akitas Wrote:... Not enough enforcement of existing laws, and just the same new writing of crap that only hurts the responsible people.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Not to change the subject, but as I was reading your complete post it occured to me that this is the same kind of thing that's is and has been going on for many years over firearms ownership. More existing laws than you can shake a stick at, inadequate enforcement of said laws, and new laws proposed that do very little other than to hurt the already responsible people.

Either way, it's just more of the usual Nanny State foolishness.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:Hell, if it ever gets that far, I'll vote pro-people for the chimps!

I'm sure there are many animals that are better "people" than a lot of humans.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
fpw   05-06-2007, 10:22 PM
webby Wrote:Either way, it's just more of the usual Nanny State foolishness.
[SIZE="3"]Wendy, that pretty much sums it up. Good for you.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.