Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
fpw   07-10-2004, 08:27 AM
According to a number of sources (http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/nov04.php), Paramount Home Entertainment is releasing "The Keep" on DVD this fall (street date = 11/30) with no extras.

I’m considering remedying that. I’ve spoken to Doug Winter (critic, biographer, novelist, columnist for Video Watchdog) and David Schow (screenwriter and novelist) – both acerbic wits with strong opinions about the film – and asked them if they’d be interested in joining me for a commentary track. They are.

The plan: We’ll sit down in a studio sometime in August when David is on the East Coast. We’ll run the film and shoot our mouths off for 96 minutes. Then we’ll put it onto CDs and sell them to anyone who’d want to play it along with the movie.

A commentary track that trashes the film…I don’t think this has ever been done before. Could get a lot of press.

Then again, it may not.

Either way it’ll be a kick.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   07-10-2004, 09:41 AM
fpw Wrote:According to a number of sources (http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/nov04.php), Paramount Home Entertainment is releasing "The Keep" on DVD this fall (street date = 11/30) with no extras.

I’m considering remedying that. I’ve spoken to Doug Winter (critic, biographer, novelist, columnist for Video Watchdog) and David Schow (screenwriter and novelist) – both acerbic wits with strong opinions about the film – and asked them if they’d be interested in joining me for a commentary track. They are.

The plan: We’ll sit down in a studio sometime in August when David is on the East Coast. We’ll run the film and shoot our mouths off for 96 minutes. Then we’ll put it onto CDs and sell them to anyone who’d want to play it along with the movie.

A commentary track that trashes the film…I don’t think this has ever been done before. Could get a lot of press.

Then again, it may not.

I LOVE IT! Big Grin

But then I'd have to buy a copy of the movie in order to play along with the commentary wouldn't I?

They sell a DVD, you sell a commentary, and I have a CVA from laughing while watching it -- almost a win-win situation! Big Grin

Ken V.
Lisa   07-10-2004, 09:56 AM
HAHAHAHAHA! You guys should totally do that. It would be awesome. It's also the only thing that would get me to buy the movie. Big Grin

Lisa
Scott Hajek   07-10-2004, 12:51 PM
fpw Wrote:A commentary track that trashes the film…I don’t think this has ever been done before.

The South Park guys did a commentary track that the distribution company (can't remember which) wouldn't put on the DVD. Comedy Central had an offer where you could get commentary tracks on CD if you bought the set from them.

But, a commentary that is brutally honest about the adaptation of a book? Well, it should be done! And this would be the greatest opportunity. Please, oh please, produce this commentary. And then sign me up for one of the first copies.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Blake   07-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Suggestion: How about posting it as a big MP3 file? You could still sell it if you want to make some money off of it, but I think it would broaden the listening audience quite a bit if they didn't have to get CDs. I, for one, would love to listen to it on my iBook from iTunes while I had DVD Player playing the movie.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Richard Kendrick   07-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Blake Wrote:Suggestion: How about posting it as a big MP3 file? You could still sell it if you want to make some money off of it, but I think it would broaden the listening audience quite a bit if they didn't have to get CDs. I, for one, would love to listen to it on my iBook from iTunes while I had DVD Player playing the movie.

Blake

You would likely, eventually run into a frame rate issue that would, over the course of the movie, render the audio quite a bit out of sync. Mp3s software is not very accurate when it comes to time accuracy. Some conversion programs are better than others though. Digidesign (ProTools) makes one that is sample-accurate, so I guess in theory it could be done. The conversion from WAV, AIFF or .SDII (or any other format for that matter) would need to be made with quality software that is designed for that kind of accuracy. In other words just converting a .wav file or CD Audio to an .mp3 using something like Music Match Juke Box, Real Audio, Win Amp, Easy CD Creator or Toast simply won't do.

I like the idea though. And I would be happy to do that .mp3 conversion myself. I'm sure if they record this audio at a decent recording studio they could get an acceptable .mp3 conversion though.

Another potential problem with the entire idea is that if there is a glitch at any point with the DVD (or your player) or if you want to stop the show for a bathroom trip, getting the entire thing back together might not be easy.

That being said, hearing all the stuff that FPW could say about that crappy movie is still worth the trouble. I say go for it.

RIK
Susan   07-11-2004, 02:24 PM
fpw Wrote:

That would be great! Hehehe.

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
fpw   07-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:You would likely, eventually run into a frame rate issue that would, over the course of the movie, render the audio quite a bit out of sync.

I've already worked this out. Since we're doing this months ahead of the DVD release, I have to act on the premise that the DVD will present the same version as the videotape. But it may not. So I'll announce at the beginning that I will at times mention a scene transition to allow anyone out of sync to sync up.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Richard Kendrick   07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
fpw Wrote:I've already worked this out. Since we're doing this months ahead of the DVD release, I have to act on the premise that the DVD will present the same version as the videotape. But it may not. So I'll announce at the beginning that I will at times mention a scene transition to allow anyone out of sync to sync up.

Sounds like a perfect idea to me. Especially if you are watching VHS as your guide to do the commentary track to. (Tape speed and tracking issues...) Wink

It's going to be cool.

RIK
hford713   07-12-2004, 05:01 PM
fpw Wrote:According to a number of sources (http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/nov04.php), Paramount Home Entertainment is releasing "The Keep" on DVD this fall (street date = 11/30) with no extras.

Then again, it may not.

No!
There's deleted scenes, documentaries, commentaries....etc. that have been waiting too long for this to finally see the light of day on DVD. The Tangerine Dream fans alone would chart this release.
FPW... What are your thoughts on [at least] the score done by TD?
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4