Pages (2):    1 2
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:The music's been playing on the PA system at BN Lincoln for a couple of days. Why, I canna tell yez. Got a new guy, cool young hombre, asked me, trying to be sardonic, I guess, "Boss Blues, isn't this song incredibly corny?" The song was, "The Quest,"and I hadda give the newby my thoughts: "No, Peter, it's not corny at all. It's great."

Dadburnit, I got my "Men" confused! Of course A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS is about Sir Thomas More. I wuz thinkin' MAN OF LA MANCHA, for some reason. ("Your brain's gone bad. That's the reason, Mike." Oh, shut up.) But I would say MAN OF LA MANCHA is equally worthy, if 180* different.
Ken Valentine   03-27-2007, 03:24 AM
Terry Willacker Wrote:It is one of my favorites, too. I've had the VHS for years and recently bought the DVD.

Well, the local video rental place didn't have it, so I bought the DVD. It was excellent!

I also bought the DVD of a fictional story that sort of follows it . . . sort of. Mark Twain's The Prince And The Pauper, starring Errol Flynn. The "prince" in this story is the son of Henry VIII. Montague Love played a very good Henry.

Ken V.

P.S. It seems that I did see A Man For All Seasons, but had forgotten it. What brought it back to me was the scene where Orson Wells heated a drink by putting a hot fireplace poker into it.

What a weird memory I have.

Ken V.
Maggers   03-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Showtime (cable channel) has a new series called "The Tudors" about Henry VIII who's played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. It's very good. I've seen the first two episodes, and it's been enjoyable.

But the script for "A Man For All Seasons" can't be beat.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Weatherford   04-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Haven't seen the movie or play in eons - but I did stand where he was killed when I was in Canterbury this past summer....

Did you know he wore a hair shirt - that is a shirt made of an animal's skin worn hair side inward.... lice and fleas etc etc.... never taken off.... considered penance or something like that...
Pages (2):    1 2