Pages (3): 1 2 3   
saynomore   01-23-2007, 06:50 PM
SPOILERS...

Harbingers is the Empire Strikes Back of the Star Wars Series. It connects the previous episode to the next episode. It is not a stand-alone. But ESB, IMHO, is the best episode of the series.

The previous RJ books have been stand-alones with elements in the books foreshadowing Nightworld. In Harbingers' case, the elements have taken over the rest of the book. The foreshadowing has become the story now.

No characters are developed here. Here we find answers to all the mysterious elements found in the rest of the RJ series to date. The Nightworld storyline looms, and we see in Harbingers the light at the end of the tunnel leading to Nightworld.

We won't know if Bloodline will continue this trend or work as a stand-alone with new elements foreshadowing RJ's role in Nightworld.

For me, this marks the beginning of the end for the RJ series that we have grown to love. It's Nightworld's RJ that will take over now for what remains of the series. There are still some questions that remain unanswered (where did Jack's brother go? how was Kate a "branch" that was cut by the Ally?).

I'm awaiting my copy of Borderlands revised Nightworld that may explain answers to these questions and others left hanging (Diana & the yeniceri, i.e.,).

However, Harbingers is a great Q & A chapter in the RJ series, but could someone explain how the title Harbingers fits the story. I chose the title Blindsided (which turns out to be a title being used by another author) for this RJ book. After reading it, the Blindsided title seems more appropriate, given Jack being blindsided by the Ally.

But perhaps I am not looking at the big picture, but this is not something I had to do with the other RJ books, which had beginnings, middles, and endings, yet kept the Adversary Cycle rolling along.

I guess I'll have to wait for Bloodline and the revised Nightworld books to tie up the loose ends that Harbingers left me with. Remember when Luke found out that Darth was his father and then bam, the movie ended. That's how I felt at the end of Harbingers: Great book, but will the rest of the series live up to it. In Star Wars, after ESB, the series wasn't quite the same nor did it live up to the build-up of ESB.

Let's hope I am wrong in this observation.

AC
This post was last modified: 01-23-2007, 07:15 PM by fpw.
Dr. Trilobite   01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
saynomore Wrote:However, Harbingers is a great Q & A chapter in the RJ series, but could someone explain how the title Harbingers fits the story.
It's clearly referring to the clairvoyant visions the Oracles have, but also to how the story's events are announcing the series' new direction. Most of all, though, it just sounds really cool and ominous.
Auskar   01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Harbingers of Doom!

"We're Doomed! Doomed, I tell you!"
Sourdoughs   01-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't seen "Empire Strikes Back" yet, so I can't comment on your conclusion. What's this about Darth and Luke's father?

(just kidding...)Big Grin
KRW   01-26-2007, 12:47 AM
saynomore Wrote:SPOILERS...

Harbingers is the Empire Strikes Back of the Star Wars Series. It connects the previous episode to the next episode. It is not a stand-alone. But ESB, IMHO, is the best episode of the series.

The previous RJ books have been stand-alones with elements in the books foreshadowing Nightworld. In Harbingers' case, the elements have taken over the rest of the book. The foreshadowing has become the story now.

No characters are developed here. Here we find answers to all the mysterious elements found in the rest of the RJ series to date. The Nightworld storyline looms, and we see in Harbingers the light at the end of the tunnel leading to Nightworld.

We won't know if Bloodline will continue this trend or work as a stand-alone with new elements foreshadowing RJ's role in Nightworld.

For me, this marks the beginning of the end for the RJ series that we have grown to love. It's Nightworld's RJ that will take over now for what remains of the series. There are still some questions that remain unanswered (where did Jack's brother go? how was Kate a "branch" that was cut by the Ally?).

I'm awaiting my copy of Borderlands revised Nightworld that may explain answers to these questions and others left hanging (Diana & the yeniceri, i.e.,).

However, Harbingers is a great Q & A chapter in the RJ series, but could someone explain how the title Harbingers fits the story. I chose the title Blindsided (which turns out to be a title being used by another author) for this RJ book. After reading it, the Blindsided title seems more appropriate, given Jack being blindsided by the Ally.

But perhaps I am not looking at the big picture, but this is not something I had to do with the other RJ books, which had beginnings, middles, and endings, yet kept the Adversary Cycle rolling along.

I guess I'll have to wait for Bloodline and the revised Nightworld books to tie up the loose ends that Harbingers left me with. Remember when Luke found out that Darth was his father and then bam, the movie ended. That's how I felt at the end of Harbingers: Great book, but will the rest of the series live up to it. In Star Wars, after ESB, the series wasn't quite the same nor did it live up to the build-up of ESB.

AC
SPOILERS!!!!!

Good analogy for the "ESB". I also see this one as a book that brings things together that the previous ones did not. But it is a stand alone. You would be lost on the whole scale of this book if you hadn't read any of the previous books in the series, but this book is as stand alone as "Hosts", "The Haunted Air", or "Criss Cross". All of these are progressing a deeper story, but each is a separate story. This one just jumped into the fast lane.Smile (Then again, maybe all these books rely on the ongoing saga to have any merit????)
webby   01-26-2007, 12:40 PM
saynomore Wrote:SPOILERS...

AC

More Spoilers

I think the title Harbingers is more than just a reference to the Oracles, altough that is the most obvious. There was also a certain older gentleman hanging around Jack's apartment and there was a direct confrontation between The Lady and Rasalom. I'd say those two things are pretty big Harbingers of things to come in the series.

BTW - I like your ESB analogy in the sense that Harbingers, like ESB, is a bridge between much of what came before and what is yet to come.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auskar   01-27-2007, 12:47 AM
I was reading, and suddenly I was thinking...

"ESB? What's ESB?" I had to go back, reread previous posts, and trouble my feeble aging mind (and remember, I had a stroke in August that made me slightly less than brilliant for about three months)...

Then I figured it out.

Duh.

So, our intrepid poster Webby (sorry to use you as an example, Webby, but I don't want to say "some people" or else I might get yelled at by "some people")... Anyway, Webby saved some time by typing ESB instead of "The Empire Strikes Back." I wondered how much time was saved? ESB vs. Empire Strikes Back. So I timed myself typing ESB vs. Empire Strikes Back. It probably takes me about four less seconds to type ESB. (Or so).

Reading ESB, though, caused me to THINK. A grueling and painful process and consumed more than three or four seconds.

What's my point?

I don't really have one. I've just always had a pet peeve against abbreviations that aren't immediate obvious, so I rant and rave and jump up and down like a lunatic, typing long meaning entries like this one. LOL. ROFL. Ha ha! (humor). Big Grin Like WTF is immediately obvious. In another thread, someone typed CH and BOB like we all understood Dog Show Jargon.

If dog shows interested me, I would have written this post in that thread.

Forgive any lack of tact in this post.

Thank you.
webby   01-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Auskar Wrote:I was reading, and suddenly I was thinking...

"ESB? What's ESB?" I had to go back, reread previous posts, and trouble my feeble aging mind (and remember, I had a stroke in August that made me slightly less than brilliant for about three months)...

Then I figured it out.

Duh.

So, our intrepid poster Webby (sorry to use you as an example, Webby, but I don't want to say "some people" or else I might get yelled at by "some people")... Anyway, Webby saved some time by typing ESB instead of "The Empire Strikes Back." I wondered how much time was saved? ESB vs. Empire Strikes Back. So I timed myself typing ESB vs. Empire Strikes Back. It probably takes me about four less seconds to type ESB. (Or so).

Reading ESB, though, caused me to THINK. A grueling and painful process and consumed more than three or four seconds.

What's my point?

I don't really have one. I've just always had a pet peeve against abbreviations that aren't immediate obvious, so I rant and rave and jump up and down like a lunatic, typing long meaning entries like this one. LOL. ROFL. Ha ha! (humor). Big Grin Like WTF is immediately obvious. In another thread, someone typed CH and BOB like we all understood Dog Show Jargon.

If dog shows interested me, I would have written this post in that thread.

Forgive any lack of tact in this post.

Thank you.

LOL! YCMU!

NP Auskar. MTFBWU, IYKWIM!

SOMY? Smile

GTG - GDR

(SICNR)

Translation:

Laughing out loud! You crack me up!

No problem, Auskar. May the Force be with you, if you know what I mean!

Sick of me yet? Smile

Got to go - grinning, ducking and running.

(sorry, I could not resist)
Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auskar   01-27-2007, 01:26 AM
webby Wrote:LOL! YCMU! NP Auskar. MTFBWU, IYKWIM! SOMY? Smile GTG - GDR (SICNR)
(You made me laugh). Chuckle. Big Grin
Ken Valentine   01-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Auskar Wrote:(You made me laugh). Chuckle. Big Grin

YMML? C?

I have found this site helpful:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Whatsisname
Pages (3): 1 2 3