Maggers   01-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Has anyone seen this?

I'd give it a marginal thumbs up. I have to give credit to the director, Bill Condon, for expanding the musical format to an almost operatic scale, where ordinary dialogue is not spoken but sung. It's ambitious.

The movie runs a little over 2 hours but somehow feels very long. It needs editing. Any side story involving Beyonce should have been cut. It's a sleepy movie unless Jennifer Hudson or Eddie Murphy are on screen. Hudson is wonderful. What a voice! And she embodies her character to a T. Eddie Murphy was better than I've seen him in a long time. Both of them were quite moving.

The music is great, but there's just too much of it. I think they could have cut several songs.

At any rate, I recommend the film, if you like musicals, and do try to see it in the theater. It's a larger than life movie.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

saynomore   01-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Maggers Wrote:Has anyone seen this?

I'd give it a marginal thumbs up. I have to give credit to the director, Bill Condon, for expanding the musical format to an almost operatic scale, where ordinary dialogue is not spoken but sung. It's ambitious.

The movie runs a little over 2 hours but somehow feels very long. It needs editing. Any side story involving Beyonce should have been cut. It's a sleepy movie unless Jennifer Hudson or Eddie Murphy are on screen. Hudson is wonderful. What a voice! And she embodies her character to a T. Eddie Murphy was better than I've seen him in a long time. Both of them were quite moving.

The music is great, but there's just too much of it. I think they could have cut several songs.

At any rate, I recommend the film, if you like musicals, and do try to see it in the theater. It's a larger than life movie.

Yes, I saw this last week, but didn't want to post it until someone else did. After all, my manhood was at stake here. Wink I liked the music more than the movie. I liked the story more than the music. This is one of those movies that no one would go see with me, so I braved it alone. Eddie Murphy just might take the Oscar. His performance reminded me of Richard Pryor's in that Billie Holliday movie with Diana Ross. And I can see Jennifer Hudson thumbing her nose at the American Idol voters. Good for her.

AC
Kenji   01-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm going to see Dreamgirls.....in March.

Eddie Murphy took Golden Globe Award! First I couldn't believe he took award. What a big surprise! But as I saw trailer, I realized this Eddie Murphy is a little different than his other movies. Lookin' cool!
fpw   01-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Maggers Wrote:The music is great, but there's just too much of it. I think they could have cut several songs.

[SIZE="3"]Mary and I heard some of the music and decided we didn't want to see it without the good ol' FF button handy.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   02-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Today I went to see Dreamgirls.

It was good. But a lot of songs tired me. Too many songs! I gotta headache when the movie finished! :eek:

But Jenifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy were excellent. I have some of Eddie Murphy's albums, so I already knew he can sing. But again I realized he's awesome singer. They deserve Oscar.