Pages (3):    1 2 3
Marc   02-01-2007, 10:20 AM
The scariest part, for me, was how realistic it is. In my pessimistic way I can easily see us in a similar situation (economically and socially) in 20 years.
Scott Miller   02-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Auskar Wrote:I've never been able to figure out whether I should see this movie or not. Some people, who's opinion I respect, have said it was a simply terrible movie. Others, who's opinion I also respect, have only said nice things about the movie. No one says much about WHY they like it or don't like it, and that makes it harder to decide.

I liked it because every aspect of the film is brilliantly executed. It's an utterly realistic portrayal of a dystopian future full of amazing action sequences, excellent acting and great sound. But what really separates it for me from others of its ilk is it full of thought provoking ideas on what it is to be human.

I'm still buzzing.
This post was last modified: 02-01-2007, 03:06 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
cobalt   02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Dave Wrote:It's a fairly simple story that doesn't try to explain why these things have happened. But the heart of the story is one of hope, and the execution is rivetting.

If you like films that leave the answers to your own imagination, but tell a simple story in a mind blowing way, then I heartily recommend it.

If you don't like being left with questions, then you may not like it, no matter how well directed it is.

Another factor is that it is grim. It shows a future world that is from your nightmares, but close enough to how things are now that it seems all the more prophetic. I live in London and the future vision they showed chilled me to the bone, I think they got it spot on. However, as I said above, the story is about hope, so the grimness is there for a reason.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS it deserved more Oscar consideration than it got IMO.

I think Dave has it all here. But I do want to add the following. The film SHOULD be seen in a theater, with as big of a screen as available. See it with someone that has empathy. I REALLY enjoyed this one.

EWMAN
webby   02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
If apocalyptic tales interest you, this one is not to be missed. Excellent filmmaking, excellent direction, excellent acting and a story that you'll still be thinking about days, weeks, maybe even years later.

I agree completely with what the others have said - Dave, Marc, Scott and Cobalt.

Scott said "it is full of thought provoking ideas on what it is to be human". I'd expand on that to say it explores to the very extremes of what it means to be human. It is a very violent film in one sense, showing us at our very worst. It is also a very hopeful film, when it shows the best we can be.

And Dave is more than right in saying it deserved more Oscar consideration. I'm so disappointed that something this amazing was all but ignored by the Academy.

Go see it at a matinee if you aren't sure it will be worth the ticket price. I can't imagine you'll feel the same way after seeing it, but if you do, you at least will have only paid the lower matinee price.

And as Cobalt said, see it with someone who has a lot of empathy. I went with my best friend - one of the sweetest, most caring and loving people on the planet. It had her in tears, but she absolutely loved it.
This post was last modified: 02-01-2007, 04:13 PM by webby.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **

Ok, for those of you who've seen the movie...

One of the things my friend (the one with tons of empathy) noticed in the film was how all the animals in the movie seemed to instictively trust and be drawn to Theo...

Jasper's cat

The dogs at the Fishes hideout (and here one of the Fishes specifically said something like, "they like you - strange, they don't like anybody")

Also at the Fishes hideout when they are having the big meeting, there's a kitten that insists on climbing up Theo's leg

Ok, it makes sense to show that Theo is trustworthy, but do you think there might be a larger statement being made with this, since it is emphasized so much? I'm thinking it might be meant to show that for all our brains and technology, humans are still just another animal with the capacity for everything good and everything bad implied by that. The fact that Kee instictively trusts Theo with her life and her baby's life, just like the animals trust him, I think shows that connection between humans and other animals on the planet.

Thoughts?

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scott Miller   02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
webby Wrote:** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **

One of the things my friend (the one with tons of empathy) noticed in the film was how all the animals in the movie seemed to instictively trust and be drawn to Theo...

Jasper's cat

The dogs at the Fishes hideout (and here one of the Fishes specifically said something like, "they like you - strange, they don't like anybody")

Also at the Fishes hideout when they are having the big meeting, there's a kitten that insists on climbing up Theo's leg

Ok, it makes sense to show that Theo is trustworthy, but do you think there might be a larger statement being made with this, since it is emphasized so much? I'm thinking it might be meant to show that for all our brains and technology, humans are still just another animal with the capacity for everything good and everything bad implied by that. The fact that Kee instictively trusts Theo with her life and her baby's life, just like the animals trust him, I think shows that connection between humans and other animals on the planet.

Thoughts?

I initially thought, during the movie, that is was because he was fertile, but that obviously wasn't correct. Now I would say that I think you are on to something there. Animals and little children have a greater intuitive sense than most adults. Plus they served as a reminder to Theo of who his true inner self is.

Scott

webby   02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
** Spoilers Below **

Scott Miller Wrote:Animals and little children have a greater intuitive sense than most adults. Plus they served as a reminder to Theo of who his true inner self is.

Good point - I hadn't thought of that, but it really makes sense when you consider how Theo's character developed. At the beginning of the movie he was disgusted by all the people around him crying over "Baby Diego", but by then end he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for Kee's baby.

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scott Miller   02-01-2007, 10:59 PM
webby Wrote:** Spoilers Below **

Good point - I hadn't thought of that, but it really makes sense when you consider how Theo's character developed. At the beginning of the movie he was disgusted by all the people around him crying over "Baby Diego", but by then end he was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for Kee's baby.

I saw Theo as symptomatic of the entire world; the loss of Dylan caused him to lose his ideals and it took Kee's dilemma to re-awaken in him what should never have been lost.

Scott

saynomore   02-02-2007, 01:23 AM
webby Wrote:** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **

Jasper's cat

Thoughts?

The animal theme struck me more as cilivization reverting back to nature. On second viewing of the movie, you can't help but notice how animals are in many of the scenes.

Recently, deer have been entering the areas populated by people in the San Gabriel area. Scientists are theorizing that this increase in deer visits reflects the decrease in deer habitats due to man's expansion. When the news showed that footage of the deer rampaging through the market, seeking an escape, it reminded me of COM. Eerie.

AC

P.S. COM=Children of Men, he typed redundantly.
webby   02-02-2007, 01:24 AM
** Spoilers Below **

Scott Miller Wrote:I saw Theo as symptomatic of the entire world; the loss of Dylan caused him to lose his ideals and it took Kee's dilemma to re-awaken in him what should never have been lost.

I think you're absolutely right. [Image: thumbsup-1.gif]

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pages (3):    1 2 3