Pages (2):    1 2
Auskar   01-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Aw, that's just mean. When has the NYT critic shown his stuff on screen? Unless you've =done= what you presume to criticize ( like Spider Robinson's old book reviews in ANALOG), I can't take you seriously.
You can't review novels unless you're published as a novelist? You can't review a restaurant unless you are accomplished as a chef? You cannot review BB King's performance unless you can play a guitar?

The world doesn't work that way, nor should we want it to. People know what they like, and some are good at convincing others whether a movie, book, restaurant, painting, etc., is worth their attention or not.
This post was last modified: 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM by Auskar.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Auskar Wrote:You can't review novels unless you're published as a novelist? You can't review a restaurant unless you are accomplished as a chef? You cannot review BB King's performance unless you can play a guitar?

The world doesn't work that way, nor should we want it to. People know what they like, and some are good at convincing others whether a movie, book, restaurant, painting, etc., is worth their attention or not.

To repeat, Auskar, in the friendliest way, I do not take the opinions of those who have not =done= what they're passing judgement on very seriously. Whose opinion would carry more weight with you?--a master chef's idea of a restaurant's cuisine, or someone who's never put the white hat on? Spider Robinson's review of an sf novel, or someone who's never won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards? A guitarist's review of a BB King show, or someone who can't even tune a guitar? I'd pay more heed to the first in every case.
Biggles   01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:To repeat, Auskar, in the friendliest way, I do not take the opinions of those who have not =done= what they're passing judgement on very seriously. Whose opinion would carry more weight with you?--a master chef's idea of a restaurant's cuisine, or someone who's never put the white hat on? Spider Robinson's review of an sf novel, or someone who's never won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards? A guitarist's review of a BB King show, or someone who can't even tune a guitar? I'd pay more heed to the first in every case.

Auskar has a point though. I would be an excellent food critic, as long as my audience was satisfied with non-technical assessments. In the movie "Sideways", I'm somewhere between Niles and the other guy.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Biggles Wrote:Auskar has a point though. I would be an excellent food critic, as long as my audience was satisfied with non-technical assessments. In the movie "Sideways", I'm somewhere between Niles and the other guy.

I know Auskar had a point, Biggles. I wuz just bustin' balls. I'm a semi-pro in that game.Wink
Pages (2):    1 2