Kenji   07-04-2004, 05:55 AM
One day I bought very interesting DVD. It is "Flash Gordon conquers the univers".This is 1940's TV program(what a old!). So of course, B/W, sound is noisy, film has blemish, special effect is cheap. But this is nice. Smile
From episode1 to 12. All episodes's last are "To be continue",then finish. I like this style!

Is this released in U.S.?
fpw   07-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:One day I bought very interesting DVD. It is "Flash Gordon conquers the univers".This is 1940's TV program

Is this released in U.S.?

It's not a TV show, Kenji. It was a serial in movie theaters in the 1930s. They showed one chapter a week in addition to the movies.

I own the DVDs of all three Flash Gordon serials (which were based on a popular comic strip of the 1930s). Conquers the Universe is the third in the series. I still like the first (Space Soldiers) the best the best. If you can find that, get it.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   07-04-2004, 11:07 AM
fpw Wrote:It's not a TV show, Kenji. It was a serial in movie theaters in the 1930s. They showed one chapter a week in addition to the movies.

Is this a movie? I didn't know that! I saw 80's movie version.

Quote:I own the DVDs of all three Flash Gordon serials (which were based on a popular comic strip of the 1930s). Conquers the Universe is the third in the series. I still like the first (Space Soldiers) the best the best. If you can find that, get it.

I wish I can get it.
Ken Valentine   07-05-2004, 01:45 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Is this a movie? I didn't know that! I saw 80's movie version.

These were originally shown in movie theaters Kenji. One episode every saturday afternoon. You've got to remember, this was before people had television in their homes. Later on, in the mid '50's, it was shown on television. I used to watch it when I was a kid.

I loved the background music. It took me nearly twenty five years to learn that the music they used in the show was Les Preludes, by Franz Liszt. The search for that music turned me into a classical music enthusiast.

Funny that you should mention it today. I got the time to sit down and watch a couple of episodes just this afternoon. The sets are hoaky, the effects are laughable, the continuity is virtually nonexistent, (by todays standards) but it's still fun to watch. The dialogue however is excellent.

I just love Charles Middleton as Ming The Terrible.

Ken V.
Kenji   07-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:These were originally shown in movie theaters Kenji. One episode every saturday afternoon. You've got to remember, this was before people had television in their homes. Later on, in the mid '50's, it was shown on television. I used to watch it when I was a kid.

In the mid 50's!! Oh, my........that's right! I'm so silly. :o

Quote:I loved the background music. It took me nearly twenty five years to learn that the music they used in the show was Les Preludes, by Franz Liszt. The search for that music turned me into a classical music enthusiast.

Funny that you should mention it today. I got the time to sit down and watch a couple of episodes just this afternoon. The sets are hoaky, the effects are laughable, the continuity is virtually nonexistent, (by todays standards) but it's still fun to watch. The dialogue however is excellent.

Wow, that's coincidence! It's a small world. Big Grin

Quote:I just love Charles Middleton as Ming The Terrible.

Ken V.

Ken, did you see 1980's color film version movie? In this movie, Max Von Sydow as Ming.
Ken Valentine   07-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Ken, did you see 1980's color film version movie? In this movie, Max Von Sydow as Ming.

I saw it. But I don't remember much about it. As out dated as it is, I still like the original best.

Ken V.