Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
NewYorkjoe   12-04-2006, 03:33 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:[QUOTE=Maggers]
But avoid the cabs, please.
QUOTE]

NY'ers hate cabbies, Lon. Don't let em fool ya!

This post was sponsored in part by the NY Cab Drivers Association
. Wink
With good reason, they play "chicken" with pedestrians! They try to see how close they can drive on your heels while making a right turn. Just because you have the light, don't expect cabbies to give you the right of way! ("Hey! I'm walkin' here!")

Cabbies use only the horn and the accelerator! Turn signals are for sissies, you don't warn your competition!

I once got into a cab driven by a guy from the Italian neighborhood. He said, "Let me tell you, it takes a real man to drive a cab in New York! I use my left hand for signals and my right hand to wave at women!" "But, how do you steer?" "I just told you, it takes a REAL man to drive a cab in New York!"
Big Grin

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Maggers   12-04-2006, 03:56 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:[QUOTE=Maggers]But avoid the cabs, please.

ccosborne3 Wrote:NY'ers hate cabbies, Lon. Don't let em fool ya!Wink

Not true, my friend. Wink I love cabs and take them all the time, but there's a time and place for them.

Daytime is not the time right now; not with so much extra traffic in midtown.

Nighttime is fine with less traffic, besides, the Christmas lights are pretty.

Cabs comprise a goodly precentage of my weekly budget, I just won't do one during midday and especially not in midtown.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lon   12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the great input, everyone. I did get schooled a bit today by one of my co-workers who spends a lot of time in the city coordinating Fleet Week. Forget Geico, this guy saved me a bundle in 15 minutes by explaining the glory that is MTA Rail. So now I have the whole day to spend and it'll cost about 2/3 less than Amtrak and a short drive over to New Haven. So it looks like I'll be entering the city at Grand Central Terminal vice Penn Station.

Thanks especially Maggers for the scene location list. I'll probably steer clear of any cabs unless my ankle starts acting up late in the day.

Anyone in town wants to meet somewhere I can find for a drink, let me know. I'll be the guy celebrating his first birthday as a single guy in 12 years. Wink

Coming Soon:
"Something to Hold the Door Closed" in Frontier Cthulhu

[SIZE="1"]Web: www.lonprater.com
LJ: lonfiction.livejournal.com[/SIZE]
ccosborne3   12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Lon Wrote:I'll be the guy celebrating his first birthday as a single guy in 12 years. Wink

Congratulations!

I think. Smile

Anyways, Happy Birthday. I've been in NYC every Saturday for the past five Saturdays. Not this week though. Too bad, would have been glad to hoist a couple with you.
Lon   12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks! The "single" part was rather rudely foisted upon me unawares (and just in time for the holidays, how thoughtful!) but I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Cool

Coming Soon:
"Something to Hold the Door Closed" in Frontier Cthulhu

[SIZE="1"]Web: www.lonprater.com
LJ: lonfiction.livejournal.com[/SIZE]
cobalt   12-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Well Happy Birthday and ?congrats? about being single. Have a great time in the city. Smile

EWMAN
Maggers   12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Lon Wrote:Wow! Thanks for all the great input, everyone. I did get schooled a bit today by one of my co-workers who spends a lot of time in the city coordinating Fleet Week. Forget Geico, this guy saved me a bundle in 15 minutes by explaining the glory that is MTA Rail. So now I have the whole day to spend and it'll cost about 2/3 less than Amtrak and a short drive over to New Haven. So it looks like I'll be entering the city at Grand Central Terminal vice Penn Station.

Thanks especially Maggers for the scene location list. I'll probably steer clear of any cabs unless my ankle starts acting up late in the day.

Anyone in town wants to meet somewhere I can find for a drink, let me know. I'll be the guy celebrating his first birthday as a single guy in 12 years. Wink

If you are coming in at Grand Central Station, the first thing to do is walk around Grand Central Station. It's a beautiful station. Take a look up at the ceiling and see the constellations painted there. There are lots of new, cute stores in Grand Central now, and lots of quick, cheap places to eat. Beware that the homeless also like to sit at the nice, quick, cheap places there, too. That can be startling if you are not expecting it.

If you've read any of the Preston/Child novels, some of them take place way UNDERNEATH Grand Central, deep in the bowels of New York City.

When you come out of Grand Central, walk west towards 5th Avenue and head north. It's just a block or two. Don't worry, people will direct you gladly, really they will. As you walk north, towards Central Park, you'll see the stores lit up in their Christmas finest, and eventually you'll come upon St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center, which will be CRAZY CROWDED with tourists. But if you want to see the famous tree at 30 Rock, it's there and looking lovely.

If you continue walking up 5th Avenue to 84th Street, you'll hit the Metropolitan Museum, known as the Met. Those are the famous "All the Rage" stairs. It's a longish walk, but lots of fun, especially at this time of year.

Actually, if you were to head due west on 42nd Street (Grand Central is on 42nd Street), you'll head towards Time Square, and if you've never been to NY, you really have to see that. It's best after sundown, though, to get the full impact of all those crazy lights.

It really doesn't matter where you go or what you see, once you get out of Grand Central, let your feet guide you. You'll have fun no matter what.
This post was last modified: 12-04-2006, 07:31 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   12-04-2006, 07:29 PM
http://nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuit...601c789a0/

There's a link for you. It's the official "what to do in NY" guide from the Mayor!

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/vg/nyovg306/index.php

And there's another.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   12-04-2006, 07:38 PM
If you are really adventurous, get on the subway at Grand Central. Again, ask anyone and they will direct you. Or you could follow the signs for the #6 Lexington Avenue local subway. Pay our $2 and take the UPTOWN #6 to 59th Street. You'll be getting out at BLOOMINGDALE'S, my favorite store! When you get to the street, head south (follow the traffic on Lexington, as it heads south), and walk downtown to 58th Street, just one block. Then turn left and head east. Go as far east as you can on East 58th Street, and you will find lovely Sutton Square, the block Gia lives on. It's not a long walk, and it is an interesting one.

Since you will be so nearby at Grand Central, Gia's place is a must see.

That's also my neighborhood. I'm about 10 blocks uptown from there.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Dave F   12-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Lon Wrote:Thanks! The "single" part was rather rudely foisted upon me unawares (and just in time for the holidays, how thoughtful!) but I'm starting to warm up to the idea. Cool

I've been there, took me about 6 months to fully come to terms with it (after being married for 11 years)

Now with a new partner & could't be happier

Good luck - hope things work out for you

The artist formally known as Britfan
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4