Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Maggers   12-13-2006, 12:45 AM
tooleman Wrote:We've discussed our preferences here but aren't getting real serious about an RJ convention; I'd like to hear FPW's opinion on the matter.

I think perhaps many folks don't understand the purpose of a GU and how they started. It was a way of the founding fathers/mothers (Tony, Marc, Dave, Lisa and Susan and others) of meeting one another. They came together on this board long ago and decided it would be cool to meet. They didn't plan it around FPW. As it happened, Paul did come, and I believe the group was quasi astounded and thrilled. Since the first GU, Paul has joined the group at GU's, but the GU's would take place even if Paul couldn't make it. I know that might sound odd, but the event is for the boardwalkers to get together. It's been Lisa and Susan's decision as to where and when the events take place. They are the co-queens of the board, and the official GU's are their babies.

Marc and Fran are getting married in July in Chicago, and some of us will be there for the wedding. Whether or not there will be a gathering of the original GU'ers this year beyond the wedding remains to be seen.

Quote:I'm down for N.Y.C., on the west side, but will go with the flow. Vegas has no character, fine for indulging one's-self but not for getting together as a group and enjoying our mutual interest........Just my opinion.......But I'd enjoy sipping single malt scotch and discussing the nuances and subtleness of Dr. Wilson's genius. He's created a unique world, just like Lovecraft or Tolken, and we have the opportunity to gather as a group while the story unfolds and even talk to the author; possibly contributing to future literary events in the RJ series. We do it now via the web-site but it can be a real paradigm in respect to interactive fan participation. It’s an opportunity to have a whole lot of fun……….Again just my opinion.

My experience of GU's has been fantastic, but seldom do we discuss Paul's work. Am I right, Jim? We laugh, we talk, we listen to Tony and we laugh and laugh and laugh, we sightsee and we laugh some more. And we girls talk A LOT to Mary Wilson if she is there. Mary is FABULOUS fun. Paul is terrific, don't get me wrong, but there is something absolutely special about Mary.

But hey, each GU will be different, especially since the sheer number of people interested in attending a GU has grown exponentially. Each GU has been unique and with a different flavor.

I'm speaking like I'm an expert on GU's and I've only attended two!

As for New York, because I've lived here all my life, I'd prefer to go somewhere else. We still have to get to London so Dave doesn't have to keep traveling to the US. Wink
This post was last modified: 12-13-2006, 01:14 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

webby   12-13-2006, 01:24 AM
KRW Wrote:Does anyone have a problem with Branson Missouri? It's a fun town and centrally located. Just an option.

I don't have a problem with that. Big Grin

Silverfish Wrote:
Where exactly is Missouri? /kidding :p

Stephanie

Just drive south, Stephie. :p

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   12-13-2006, 01:32 AM
Maggers Wrote:I think perhaps many folks don't understand the purpose of a GU and how they started. It was a way of the founding fathers/mothers (Tony, Marc, Dave, Lisa and Susan and others) of meeting one another. They came together on this board long ago and decided it would be cool to meet. They didn't plan it around FPW. As it happened, Paul did come, and I believe the group was quasi astounded and thrilled. Since the first GU, Paul has joined the group at GU's, but the GU's would take place even if Paul couldn't make it. I know that might sound odd, but the event is for the boardwalkers to get together. It's been Lisa and Susan's decision as to where and when the events takes place. They are the co-queens of the board, and the official GU's are their babies.

Marc and Fran are getting married in July in Chicago, and some of us will be there for the wedding. Whether or not there will be a gathering of the original GU'ers this year beyond the wedding remains to be seen.

My experience of GU's has been fantastic, but seldom do we discuss Paul's work. Am I right, Jim? We laugh, we talk, we listen to Tony and we laugh and laugh and laugh, we sightsee and we laugh some more. And we girls talk A LOT to Mary Wilson if she is there. Mary is FABULOUS fun. Paul is terrific, don't get me wrong, but there is something absolutely special about Mary.

But hey, each GU will be different, especially since the sheer number of people interested in attending a GU has grown exponentially. Each GU has been unique and with a different flavor.

I'm speaking like I'm an expert on GU's and I've only attended two!

As for New York, because I've lived here all my life, I'd prefer to go somewhere else. We still have to get to London so Dave doesn't have to keep traveling to the US. Wink

And from what I've read here there are also sometimes "unofficial" gatherings when the opportunity presents itself. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, tooleman. Just keep an eye on the forum to see what's going on, whether there is an official GU announcement or, for example ... the Heinlein Centennial Celebration in Kansas City (July 2007) which FPW is planning/hoping to attend according to his "Where I'll Be" list and which several board members have also expressed an interest in attending.

As long as friends and fans can get together, it will be fun whether it's a GU or some other event.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maggers   12-13-2006, 01:49 AM
webby Wrote:...As long as friends and fans can get together, it will be fun whether it's a GU or some other event.

How's that go...when two or more gather in my name? As you say, Webby, getting together is fun, no matter what.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   12-13-2006, 02:42 AM
Maggers Wrote:How's that go...when two or more gather in my name? As you say, Webby, getting together is fun, no matter what.

Well, I've met with KRW and Scott Miller a couple of times in the past year or so. I really enjoyed it.

Ken V.
Lisa   12-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Thanks Maggers for that wonderful description of the GUs. Smile I am too braindead this time of night to attempt one. I've also been real busy on here deleting spam. :eek:

Lots of boardwalkers plan informal gatherings with a few people and that's great! Keep at it. However, Maggers is right that the official GUs include the core members and although we make every effort to drag Effy along (and happily have succeeded thus far), that is not (and never was) the main intent of the GUs. The focus is on meeting fellow boardwalkers and having fun, not sitting around discussing FPW's works in a scholarly fashion, and I believe even Paul himself would chortle at that notion.

I will say that Missouri is not on the agenda. Here's our list of possibilities for future GUs:

London
NYC
"GU Cruise"
New Jersey

The next GU will most likely be in one of those places.

As Maggers mentioned, Marc's wedding is this summer in Chicago so we are focusing our efforts there right now. We may well have the GU-6 in Chicago again as a result. This would allow some of our old friends to attend as well (Scooter, I'm looking at you!).

Personally, I would really love to do a London GU, but the cost would be prohibitive for many of us (including me, LOL) right now. Poor Dave sure does rack up the flyer miles joining us in the US each year and we'd all like to return the favor someday.

Lisa
Dave   12-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Lisa Wrote:Personally, I would really love to do a London GU, but the cost would be prohibitive for many of us (including me, LOL) right now. Poor Dave sure does rack up the flyer miles joining us in the US each year and we'd all like to return the favor someday.
The current exchange rate is definitely working in my favour at the moment. And Virgin just added Chicago to their US bound routes, woohoo!

I'm always happy to come over to the US, you guys do a mean steak. Big Grin

Dave
jimbow8   12-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Maggers Wrote:My experience of GU's has been fantastic, but seldom do we discuss Paul's work. Am I right, Jim? We laugh, we talk, we listen to Tony and we laugh and laugh and laugh, we sightsee and we laugh some more. And we girls talk A LOT to Mary Wilson if she is there. Mary is FABULOUS fun. Paul is terrific, don't get me wrong, but there is something absolutely special about Mary.
Paul who?!?! Bwahaha!!! Paul's usually too busy keeping his wine hidden under the table to talk about his own work.

I am still mourning the fact that I missed Boston. Sad Was Mary there, too? She is absolutely lovely. That book that she wrote, VIRGIN, ... that was great! Better than that stuff Paul has written!
Bwahahaha!!!! :p Big Grin

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Lisa   12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I am still mourning the fact that I missed Boston. Sad Was Mary there, too?

Mary was there! Big Grin She is so awesome.
Scott Hajek   12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Lisa Wrote:As Maggers mentioned, Marc's wedding is this summer in Chicago so we are focusing our efforts there right now. We may well have the GU-6 in Chicago again as a result. This would allow some of our old friends to attend as well (Scooter, I'm looking at you!).

As long as the next Chicago GU doesn't involve tours of either the John Hancock building or Sears Tower, I'm there. The thought of elevator rides more than one floor associated with a GU is more terrifying than the worst FPW can dream up.Big Grin

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6