Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Ken Valentine   12-05-2006, 11:25 PM
T-Bone Wrote:I don't really like stainless blades. I just can never get a good enough edge on them.

Stainless blades tend to be harder than many kinds of carbon steel blades and are therefore more difficult to sharpen. But you can get a really good edge on them . . . it just takes longer.

I'm sure you can find sharpening information on the web.

Ken V.
Andrew   12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
law dawg Wrote:If you're going to go with Spyderco the only knife, IMO, is the Civilian:
http://www.bestknives.com/spydcivc1.html . Everything else is just a knife. The Civilian is a beast. It can be seen in technicolor in the last Hannibal Lector movie.

Actually, I believe the knife in Hannibal was the Spyderco Harpy. The civilian is substantially bigger; it's the new version of the old Spyderco "SpyderHawk".

I agree though, the Civilian is an awesome knife; probably one of the best personal-defense knives they make. I was going to get one, but ended up with a Spyderco Karambit instead. It was down to $85 from $160!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Andrew Wrote:Actually, I believe the knife in Hannibal was the Spyderco Harpy. The civilian is substantially bigger; it's the new version of the old Spyderco "SpyderHawk".

I agree though, the Civilian is an awesome knife; probably one of the best personal-defense knives they make. I was going to get one, but ended up with a Spyderco Karambit instead. It was down to $85 from $160!

How do you rate Buck knives, Andrew?
law dawg   12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Andrew Wrote:Actually, I believe the knife in Hannibal was the Spyderco Harpy. The civilian is substantially bigger; it's the new version of the old Spyderco "SpyderHawk".

Ah, thanks for the correction. Thought it was the Civilian.

Regardless, though, like you say - the Civilian is an awesome knife.
Andrew   12-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:How do you rate Buck knives, Andrew?

Buck is a great company! They build strong knives & stand behind their product.

After years of using & selling knives, I’ve come to realize that you really do get what you pay for. If you opt for something like a Gerber Paraframe, you’re getting a $25 knife that will be built to a $25 standard. That, or you could buy an super-neat tactical knife like the Buck Strider Solution that’s worth every penny of it’s $200+ price tag.

Most knife companies make low-end knives as well as high-end knives (some are VERY high end!) It’s all a matter of what you want to use the knife for & how much you’re willing to pay for it.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-11-2006, 09:42 PM
law dawg Wrote:Ah, thanks for the correction. Thought it was the Civilian.

Regardless, though, like you say - the Civilian is an awesome knife.

Dawg, let me ask you, then. I carry a Buck knife and a Swiss Army knife. The latter as a tool, the first as a hopefully never-needed defense weapon. I can draw the Buck and get the blade out pretty fast, but in a grim situation, fractions of a second can mean all the difference. What would =you= recommend?
law dawg   12-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Dawg, let me ask you, then. I carry a Buck knife and a Swiss Army knife. The latter as a tool, the first as a hopefully never-needed defense weapon. I can draw the Buck and get the blade out pretty fast, but in a grim situation, fractions of a second can mean all the difference. What would =you= recommend?
My brother, a piece of steel in the gut is just that - a piece of steel in the gut. The markings don't matter much. That said, what model you have? I ask for draw considerations. Is it a folder or fixed blade?

My preference for self defense is literally cut and run. Remember to use a knife you need lethal force justification, so you need to be in fear of death or serious bodily injury. If you cut and stick around, then it becomes a knife fight, which is not self defense per se, especially because you other guy will be defending himself, which will give wounds in the arm and wrist area, which look like defense patterned wounds. Then you'll be looking at attempted murder......

As for pulling the blade, that's a tough call. Pulling one is tough unless you have practice doing it and have the forewarning to know to pull it. Practice pulling it under stress, because that's what you'll be under.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-11-2006, 10:52 PM
law dawg Wrote:My brother, a piece of steel in the gut is just that - a piece of steel in the gut. The markings don't matter much. That said, what model you have? I ask for draw considerations. Is it a folder or fixed blade?

My preference for self defense is literally cut and run. Remember to use a knife you need lethal force justification, so you need to be in fear of death or serious bodily injury. If you cut and stick around, then it becomes a knife fight, which is not self defense per se, especially because you other guy will be defending himself, which will give wounds in the arm and wrist area, which look like defense patterned wounds. Then you'll be looking at attempted murder......

As for pulling the blade, that's a tough call. Pulling one is tough unless you have practice doing it and have the forewarning to know to pull it. Practice pulling it under stress, because that's what you'll be under.

I have a Ranger, think it's called. I don't have a ruler here in the cybercafe, but the blade's 3.5 inches, seems. Folding knife. And of course you're right about its use. I would =never= draw it unless I thought lives were in imminent danger. Guy wants to rob me, got the drop? Fine. Just take the coin, and you go your way and I'll go mine. Money we can always make. To escalate an unpleasant situation into a deadly one...well, it just ain't smart.
law dawg   12-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I have a Ranger, think it's called. I don't have a ruler here in the cybercafe, but the blade's 3.5 inches, seems. Folding knife. And of course you're right about its use. I would =never= draw it unless I thought lives were in imminent danger. Guy wants to rob me, got the drop? Fine. Just take the coin, and you go your way and I'll go mine. Money we can always make. To escalate an unpleasant situation into a deadly one...well, it just ain't smart.
Good thoughts.

Is this your knife? http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/226/238
law dawg   12-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Here are some of my faves, other than the Civilian, Perrin knives and the Ka-bar:http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/masters/

I like the LadyHawke, the Scorpion and the Caracara. They work well with the "cut and run" philosophy. Stab wounds are more lethal, but a good cut across the gut and then run. Even if the guy runs he won't run for long, he'll bleed out.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5