Sigokat   11-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Ok I'm reading Hosts right now and I came across this line that I just didn't get. Stand and Joe were talking about the Savior possibly being their guy. Well then Joe is all pissed and then he is spouting on about some crap and he says "We used to watch our ankles through our socks. Remember that?"

Ok, maybe its a NYC/NJ slang or mobster/criminal thing, but what the hell does that mean? I'm from Chicago and I've never heard it. I reread the line like 5 times thinking I would get it, but I just didn't. Any help?

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Ken Valentine   11-01-2006, 01:02 PM
sigokat Wrote:Ok I'm reading Hosts right now and I came across this line that I just didn't get. Stand and Joe were talking about the Savior possibly being their guy. Well then Joe is all pissed and then he is spouting on about some crap and he says "We used to watch our ankles through our socks. Remember that?"

Ok, maybe its a NYC/NJ slang or mobster/criminal thing, but what the hell does that mean? I'm from Chicago and I've never heard it. I reread the line like 5 times thinking I would get it, but I just didn't. Any help?

I don't know whether I'm right or not, because I'd never heard it before either, but what that meant to me was that they were financially well off and wore expensive silk socks instead of cotton or polyester.

Ken V.
fpw   11-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I don't know whether I'm right or not, because I'd never heard it before either, but what that meant to me was that they were financially well off and wore expensive silk socks instead of cotton or polyester.

Ken V.

[SIZE="3"]Ken's got it.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Sigokat   11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I don't know whether I'm right or not, because I'd never heard it before either, but what that meant to me was that they were financially well off and wore expensive silk socks instead of cotton or polyester.

Ken V.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks, Ken, I would have never made the connection!

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck