Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Kenji   10-28-2006, 05:55 AM
February 23, 1945....Joe Rothenthal took one photo. Four American soldiers hoisted the Star-Spangled Banner on Iwo Jima.

"Frags of Our Father" is not simply war movie. Of course, this movie is battle of America vs. Japan at Iwo Jima. But this movie's story is after three soldiers returned to homeland. And governments used them for War fund's ad, governments made them heroes of war. After all, governments simply needed MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, a lot of MONEY! They don't care about human's lives. Even now, they send soldiers to Iraq...(Sorry, I should stop this. Otherwise, this thread will be political discussion)

Clint Eastwood did great work as usual. "The Heartbreak Ridge" and "Where Eagles Dare" were also great war action (and entertainment) movies. But this "Frags of Our Father"'s battle scenes were like a documentary film. Too realistic like "Saving Private Ryan".

As a result, many American and Japanese died by this war. When one of American soldiers burned Japanese soldier, Japanese soldier screamed, "Tasukete!". Still, I can't take away that word from my head....Sad

I have to see also "Letters from Iwo Jima". "Letters from Iwo Jima" is a point of view from Japanese side. Ken Watanabe(The Last Samurai, Memoir of Geisha) plays Japanese soldier. Also this was directed by Clint Eastwood.
GeraldRice   10-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Kenji, I've read about Letter from Iwo Jima and both movies were filmed at the same time.

And what does tasukete mean?

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Kenji   10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:Kenji, I've read about Letter from Iwo Jima and both movies were filmed at the same time.

And what does tasukete mean?

"Tasukete" is "Help me". If you see the movie, remember this word.
Ken Valentine   10-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Kenji Wrote:February 23, 1945....Joe Rothenthal took one photo. Four American soldiers hoisted the Star-Spangled Banner on Iwo Jima.

Actually, it was six men who raised the second (larger) flag on Iwo Jima. Only three of them lived through the battle.

Quote:"Frags of Our Father" is not simply war movie. Of course, this movie is battle of America vs. Japan at Iwo Jima. But this movie's story is after three soldiers returned to homeland. And governments used them for War fund's ad, governments made them heroes of war. After all, governments simply needed MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, a lot of MONEY! They don't care about human's lives. Even now, they send soldiers to Iraq...(Sorry, I should stop this. Otherwise, this thread will be political discussion)

Clint Eastwood did great work as usual. "The Heartbreak Ridge" and "Where Eagles Dare" were also great war action (and entertainment) movies. But this "Frags of Our Father"'s battle scenes were like a documentary film. Too realistic like "Saving Private Ryan".

As a result, many American and Japanese died by this war. When one of American soldiers burned Japanese soldier, Japanese soldier screamed, "Tasukete!". Still, I can't take away that word from my head....Sad

I have to see also "Letters from Iwo Jima". "Letters from Iwo Jima" is a point of view from Japanese side. Ken Watanabe(The Last Samurai, Memoir of Geisha) plays Japanese soldier. Also this was directed by Clint Eastwood.

I don't know whether I should see these or not. It might bring back bad memories of a battle that didn't need to happen.

(I wasn't there, but my father was.)

Ken V.
Auskar   10-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Kenji Wrote:February 23, 1945....Joe Rothenthal took one photo. Four American soldiers hoisted the Star-Spangled Banner on Iwo Jima.
Actually, Rosenthal took several photos. For the famous photo, Rosenthal didn't even have time to look through the viewfinder when the flag was going up. He just pointed the camera from his hip and clicked the shutter as it was happening. Photographers didn't develop their film in the field but sent it back for developing. As a result, Rosenthal did not know he got anything with that first "point and shoot" attempt to photograph the flag-raising. Later, he gathered a bunch of guys around the flag and took a series of posed shots of marines standing around the flag (not raising it). When his editors called to congratulate him on the shot, they asked if it was posed and he thought they were talking about the second shots -- still not realizing that he actually got that first famous photograph. When the photo was actually published was the first time he realized he actually got something with that first shot.
Kenji   10-29-2006, 03:25 AM
Auskar Wrote:Actually, Rosenthal took several photos. For the famous photo, Rosenthal didn't even have time to look through the viewfinder when the flag was going up. He just pointed the camera from his hip and clicked the shutter as it was happening. Photographers didn't develop their film in the field but sent it back for developing. As a result, Rosenthal did not know he got anything with that first "point and shoot" attempt to photograph the flag-raising. Later, he gathered a bunch of guys around the flag and took a series of posed shots of marines standing around the flag (not raising it). When his editors called to congratulate him on the shot, they asked if it was posed and he thought they were talking about the second shots -- still not realizing that he actually got that first famous photograph. When the photo was actually published was the first time he realized he actually got something with that first shot.

Yes, your details are right. He took several photos.

Have you seen this movie?
Ken Valentine   10-29-2006, 03:44 AM
Auskar Wrote:Actually, Rosenthal took several photos. For the famous photo, Rosenthal didn't even have time to look through the viewfinder when the flag was going up. He just pointed the camera from his hip and clicked the shutter as it was happening. Photographers didn't develop their film in the field but sent it back for developing. As a result, Rosenthal did not know he got anything with that first "point and shoot" attempt to photograph the flag-raising. Later, he gathered a bunch of guys around the flag and took a series of posed shots of marines standing around the flag (not raising it). When his editors called to congratulate him on the shot, they asked if it was posed and he thought they were talking about the second shots -- still not realizing that he actually got that first famous photograph. When the photo was actually published was the first time he realized he actually got something with that first shot.

Everything you have said is correct . . . except the part about his shooting from the hip.

In Joe Rosenthal's own words: "They had just lifted the pole off the ground, and it was on its way up. I swung my 'Graphic around, close up to my face, and held it, watching through the 'finder, to see when I could estimate what's the peak of a picture ... I could only hope that it turned out the way that I looked at it through the 'finder."

http://www.newseum.org/warstories/interv...osenthal_2

Ken V.
Kenji   10-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Eastwood films top 10

1, Million Dollar baby
2, Unforgiven
3, Dirty Harry
4, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
5, A Fistful of Dollars
6, In The Line Of Fire
7, Frags of Our Fathers
8, White Hunter Black Heart
9, The Outlaw Josey Wales
10, Every Which Way You Can
Ken Valentine   10-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Kenji Wrote:Eastwood films top 10

1, Million Dollar baby
2, Unforgiven
3, Dirty Harry
4, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
5, A Fistful of Dollars
6, In The Line Of Fire
7, Frags of Our Fathers
8, White Hunter Black Heart
9, The Outlaw Josey Wales
10, Every Which Way You Can

Flags Kenji . . . flags. Big Grin

Personally, I never did like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, or The Unforgiven, but Bloodwork was pretty good. And so were The Outlaw Josie Wales and Pale Rider.

Ken V.
Kenji   10-29-2006, 04:32 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Flags Kenji . . . flags. Big Grin

Ah!!! :eek: :o

Ken Valentine Wrote:Personally, I never did like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, or The Unforgiven, but Bloodwork was pretty good. And so were The Outlaw Josie Wales and Pale Rider.

Ken V.

You never liked "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"? Oooooh......

I like that movie, especially, three men's last showdown scene. That was cool.
Pages (3): 1 2 3