Sam   03-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I hadn't heard of this film and just stumbled upon it at the local video shop. The story seems to be a bit like Pan's Labyrinth - young girl faced with terrible situation uses her imagination to escape reality. Tideland isn't as visually imaginative as PL but it is a Gilliam film which are always striking in their own way.

The actors were great and the story was weird, of course. Not a lot of characters but each were eccentric. As if the outcome of the girl's father wasn't disturbing enough, there was a sexual element to the story that I won't say anything about because it will spoil the emotional impact it creates. I will say this - it will make you squirm, worry, and feel nauseous. Gilliam describes the film as Alice in Wonderland meets Psycho, the Psycho reference being a bit of a joke. An interesting story and a good film but not one of his best, IMO. It's still one to catch for all the Gilliam fans.

"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K
Kenji   03-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Last year I saw Tideland, and it was boring to me. This is not Gilliam's best movie (To me, his best movie was "Fisher King").

That girl's acting was good, but I couldn't get into a story...