Pages (9):    1 2 3 4 5 9   
Scott Hajek   10-21-2006, 01:47 AM
saynomore Wrote:Let's see if I can keep this train of thought:

When the scruffy looking Other saw that Sawyer had "earned" a fish bisquit, he said, "The bear did it in to hours," meaning that the bear did it faster than Sawyer--but also that the bear was trained to do "something" (I believe to act as guards for the others, perhaps). Now let's get to this week's episode. Charlie tells Locke that he once saw a Wild Kingdom episode that dealt with Polar Bears and that these bears are supposed to be the Einsteins of all bears. Thus, a trainable intelligent bear. Jack was kept in a "fish tank" where dolphins were supposed to be kept (and trained?). If the bear were ground guards, wouldn't it be possible that the dolphins are sea guards, but to prevent intruders or catch escapees? Keep on eye on this training of the prisoners. Something's afoot.

AC

It may have been a shark tank. If you look closely on the DVD versions, the polar bear and the shark have the Dharma logos on them. Or, so I've read.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Maggers   10-21-2006, 02:40 AM
I wrote on another thread about the island being a place to study the behavior of man and animals....

About the first episode of Season 3:
"The whole set up gave me the feeling of behavioralists studying the behavior of caged animals, human or otherwise, which is what I've always felt the Island was...one big laboratory. Throw people there, mix 'em up and see what happens. Add the mysterious magnetic forces and who knows what they'll do. "

And also...

"I don't disagree with you about the scripted and planned program she [Juliet] has for Jack. That's all part of the behavioral scientist mode that I mentioned in a previous post. Everything they do at that camp or stockade is planned to see how these individuals will respond to specific stimuli."

If you remember back to the first season when Sawyer was being teased and chased by the boar, you could hear whispering in the background, the same susurrant sound we heard that so spooked Ana Lucia and more or less caused her to shoot the blonde. I believed then, during the boar episode, that the boar was a trained animal, being told what to do by the whispers that were unintelligible to us.

The Island is a laboratory, and everyone has a role to play in the experiment. Just exactly what they are studying and why remains to be seen.

And finally, Locke finding that rusted, dented toy dump truck in the polar bear's lair was eerie.
This post was last modified: 10-21-2006, 02:44 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Medusa   10-21-2006, 01:50 PM
That guys at Sledgeworths has re-done his website. He has some cool "catches" in the pictures.

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?ac...lery;cat=5
Auskar   10-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Okay, now I am confused.

*******SPOILERS***********

LOOK AWAY ****

*******SPOILERS***********

Desmond can see the future, Sawyer isn't Sawyer and gets conned, the island isn't an island by itself but *******SPOILERS******** the other island is invisible, and I.....

.....am......

LOST.
cobalt   10-26-2006, 09:43 AM
..........invisible! Thank-you Auskar! Now that is something, another island! All this time I thought it was one island. It now makes much more sense to me.....another experiment with Desmond's hatch filled island and the crash survivors on one island and the Others with their labs and compound safely away on the other. Boggles the mind, no?

EWMAN
Maggers   10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
An episode or two ago, Benjamin said to Jack that "God can't see this island anymore than the rest of the world," or words to that effect. It seems the magnetic anomaly on the island or islands has kept them all out of reach of the rest of the world. Now the Others' "comsats are down after the sky went purple," so they are really out of touch.

Not having basic medical equipment like a crash cart is an eye opener. I don't think any of them can leave, on either island. They all seem stuck there.

I've no idea where this fabulous show is going, I just know I really don't like the Others. They pride themselves on not being killers, yet they use physical and mental abuse on their captives with abandon. Just having captives makes them far worse than the rest of the crash folks who are simply struggling to survive in bizarre and frightening circumstances.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Hajek   10-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Maggers Wrote:I've no idea where this fabulous show is going, I just know I really don't like the Others.

I don't think this show is going to jump the shark... at least not for a long while. I just hope the cliffhanger in two weeks is a good one.

I don't like the Others either. I was actually pretty happy when Sun shot the woman and just as happy that she died. Now they will become the enemy...

But, most important, who the hell is the guy with the golf clubs? Is he a new regular?

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Auskar   10-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I know what "Lost" reminds me of...

After the second Matrix movie, a lot of people went online to discuss the "hidden meaning" of this or that and potential plot twists, and was it metaphysical or philosphical or important...

...and "Lost" reminds me of that feeling. Not the plot, but the feeling of not knowing, of being curious. You never really know what is going on, which leaves you to guess, and get frustrated, but just before the frustration becomes so unbearable you quit watching...

...stuff happens.

Of course, the Matrix people just pissed it all away with a ridiculously banal third installment. I don't know how you tie up all the loose ends on "Lost" if it gets cancelled. I don't know how they maintain the quality. If you look at past similar shows or movies where you didn't know or understand exactly what is going on -- they disappoint you. Let's hope that does not happen with this show now that I am committed to watching it.
mike36799   10-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Maggers Wrote:I wrote on another thread about the island being a place to study the behavior of man and animals....

About the first episode of Season 3:
"The whole set up gave me the feeling of behavioralists studying the behavior of caged animals, human or otherwise, which is what I've always felt the Island was...one big laboratory. Throw people there, mix 'em up and see what happens. Add the mysterious magnetic forces and who knows what they'll do. "

And also...

"I don't disagree with you about the scripted and planned program she [Juliet] has for Jack. That's all part of the behavioral scientist mode that I mentioned in a previous post. Everything they do at that camp or stockade is planned to see how these individuals will respond to specific stimuli."

If you remember back to the first season when Sawyer was being teased and chased by the boar, you could hear whispering in the background, the same susurrant sound we heard that so spooked Ana Lucia and more or less caused her to shoot the blonde. I believed then, during the boar episode, that the boar was a trained animal, being told what to do by the whispers that were unintelligible to us.

The Island is a laboratory, and everyone has a role to play in the experiment. Just exactly what they are studying and why remains to be seen.

And finally, Locke finding that rusted, dented toy dump truck in the polar bear's lair was eerie.

This is a good theory, and gives a great insight on why the Others were so interested in Clair and her baby. After the birth, and so far in the series they have made no advances on retrieving both of them. Perhaps they were looking for a baby with no human interaction to study.

"I have the key to One-Eyed-Willy."
mike36799   10-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Auskar Wrote:I know what "Lost" reminds me of...
Of course, the Matrix people just pissed it all away with a ridiculously banal third installment. I don't know how you tie up all the loose ends on "Lost" if it gets cancelled. I don't know how they maintain the quality. If you look at past similar shows or movies where you didn't know or understand exactly what is going on -- they disappoint you. Let's hope that does not happen with this show now that I am committed to watching it.

I enjoyed Matrix to some degree, but it didnt stretch the envelope for me. A lot of the hype was over the stunning digital effects, and when it came to make a sequel it was evident that there wasn't much to go on. I don't see Lost getting canceled anytime soon.

For me frusteration hasn't set in, and there are constant growing stories. There are a lot of questions, but they have been answering a lot of questions too. That fact was my main concern in thinking, "is this show going to be a hit, or are they going to keep sending us in a loop?" I don't think we are in a loop, but are progressing through a story.

First season was great, but the Second season solidified what the show would be, and what it would become. Now in season 3, seems to me it has just gotten so much more exciting, and where I was getting tired of not knowing anything, like in Season 1, I feel more at ease now with the story, and where it is going. I have to face it, Lost creators have so much talent, and so many ideas I just don't see something disappointing like the Matrix happining.

Well, last night's episode was great, and I have to say that moment with Sawer getting punched by the Others outside Kate's Cell was done well. It was really intense, and I can't tell you the last time I felt so into a TV show where I felt a lump in back of my throat. And finally, we all know "Freakles" was lying when she denied to Sawer that she meant she loved him!! I'm a sucker for their teeder todder romance. Big Grin

"I have the key to One-Eyed-Willy."
Pages (9):    1 2 3 4 5 9