Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Noelie   10-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Maggers Wrote:My problem with Gia, and I do have one, is that she is too perfect. She's just the best. Her short, perky blond hair feathers just so. Her blue eyes always gleam, except when they are brimming with tears as she looks at AIDS kids, or lost puppies or anything else guaranteed to make anyone cry. As I've stated a few million times, she wouldn't be caught dead farting or burping, even in private. I wonder if she CAN move her bowels; maybe she is so perfect she can live without that function. I bet she doesn't have bed hair in the morning or wake up with crusties in her eyes.
Wow, Maggers... you hit the nail right on the head. She's the kind of woman who makes me go, "Ugh, whatever," when I encounter them in real life.

When I think of the kind of woman Jack seems like he should be with, I always think of someone a little more gritty, a little less perfect, a lot more ballsy, and a lot less of a quivering lower lip, "Oh Jack, what should I do?" dumbass.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
GeraldRice   10-31-2006, 05:51 PM
I personally would have liked Jack to have stayed with Kolabahti.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Scott Miller   10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Noelie Wrote:Wow, Maggers... you hit the nail right on the head. She's the kind of woman who makes me go, "Ugh, whatever," when I encounter them in real life.

When I think of the kind of woman Jack seems like he should be with, I always think of someone a little more gritty, a little less perfect, a lot more ballsy, and a lot less of a quivering lower lip, "Oh Jack, what should I do?" dumbass.

I must admit to a bit of surprise at the dislike of Gia simply because we see her through Jack's eyes. We see her as he does and he can't find fault with her. I've never found her to be stupid or anything other that an ideal partner for Jack. In fact, FPW writes her like how I describe my wife. I'm sure she farts and has all the typical concerns that go with being a woman, but her description is painted through the rose-colored glasses on the end of Jack's nose.
This post was last modified: 10-31-2006, 06:19 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Auskar   10-31-2006, 07:21 PM
webby Wrote:No! Without Gia and Vicky, Repairman Jack would be about the same as Jack Reacher in the novels by Lee Child. Reacher is interesting but he comes off as way too cold and selfish.
I like Jack Reacher, but he does have no center -- and that is what Gia provides for Repairman Jack. But yeah, she doesn't have to be so "nice" -- which is sort of what leads me to believe she will get killed off one day. Name a famous "lone hero" type character who keeps his main squeeze through ten novels (except Spenser).
Maggers   10-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I must admit to a bit of surprise at the dislike of Gia simply because we see her through Jack's eyes. We see her as he does and he can't find fault with her. I've never found her to be stupid or anything other that an ideal partner for Jack. In fact, FPW writes her like how I describe my wife. I'm sure she farts and has all the typical concerns that go with being a woman, but her description is painted through the rose-colored glasses on the end of Jack's nose.

She's just not real enough for me, just too one-sided. Sorry, rose colored glasses or no, she is not three dimensional, IMO.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Noelie   10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I must admit to a bit of surprise at the dislike of Gia simply because we see her through Jack's eyes. We see her as he does and he can't find fault with her. I've never found her to be stupid or anything other that an ideal partner for Jack. In fact, FPW writes her like how I describe my wife. I'm sure she farts and has all the typical concerns that go with being a woman, but her description is painted through the rose-colored glasses on the end of Jack's nose.

Yeah, I have thought about the fact that perhaps we're supposed to be seeing her through Jack's eyes. Maybe I'm just not enough of a romantic or something, but I sure wouldn't want anyone seeing me or describing me that way. (Not that there's much danger of that... I'm a really nice person, but I'm also too sarcastic and snarky for that to ever happen, I think Wink ). I think it bugs me because Jack is so realistic to me, despite all the crazy stuff he's been through, and Gia just... isn't.

And as far as me seeing her as stupid, well... that mostly has to do with the things that she has seen and experienced that should have scared the shit out of her and made her not quite so... I'm not sure how to describe it. Happy go lucky isn't right, but it's close to what I mean. Someone mentioned something in another thread about how all the bad things haven't touched her, but to me, stuff like that should leave a mark.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
cobalt   10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
*****SPOILERS***** for Harbingers

I must say, I agree.....Gia must stay....but....could FPW give her some brains. Let's see Gia help Jack with a fix, take the initiative or as Magger's said....fart. Make her human and we might like her more.
But now that she has suffered after the car accident, I hope she rages at the Ally and the Otherness. If she sits in a corner and mopes about......I sure as hell will like her even less.
Why does Jack keep her around? I've said it before....Love is blind....our hero is in love.
This post was last modified: 11-04-2006, 12:20 AM by cobalt.

EWMAN
Scott Miller   11-01-2006, 01:24 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:I must say, I agree.....Gia must stay....but....could FPW give her some brains. Let's see Gia help Jack with a fix, take the initiative or as Magger's said....fart. Make her human and we might like her more.
But now that she has suffered after the car accident, I hope she rages at the Ally and the Otherness. If she sits in a corner and mopes about......I sure as hell will like her even less.
Why does Jack keep her around? I've said it before....Love is blind....our hero is in love.

Noelie Wrote:And as far as me seeing her as stupid, well... that mostly has to do with the things that she has seen and experienced that should have scared the shit out of her and made her not quite so... I'm not sure how to describe it. Happy go lucky isn't right, but it's close to what I mean. Someone mentioned something in another thread about how all the bad things haven't touched her, but to me, stuff like that should leave a mark.

She can't with you all. Here you point out her lack of intelligence(a flaw from the flawless one) and you rag on her for it. Big Grin

Scott

Scott Miller   11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Maggers Wrote:She's just not real enough for me, just too one-sided. Sorry, rose colored glasses or no, she is not three dimensional, IMO.

That is the best argument yet(she is not my favorite either), it is the hatred of her I find alarming. I think it is one of the pitfalls of writing a series, characters who weren't meant to be around for such a long time suddenly need to be fleshed out. And I think that FPW has taken such pains to make each book work on its own so that any new readers won't be completely at sea that we are forced to be introduced her in each book even though she is forever on the periphery in the books.

Scott

Ken Valentine   11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:That is the best argument yet(she is not my favorite either), it is the hatred of her I find alarming. I think it is one of the pitfalls of writing a series, characters who weren't meant to be around for such a long time suddenly need to be fleshed out. And I think that FPW has taken such pains to make each book work on its own so that any new readers won't be completely at sea that we are forced to be introduced her in each book even though she is forever on the periphery in the books.

Exactly . . . she's a background character in the novels. Gia and Vicky give Jack a center, a reason to go on living, a reason to go on fighting. They are the high point in Jacks otherwise depressing life. His reward for doing the right thing.

Ken V.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5