Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Maggers   10-01-2006, 01:52 AM
I am really glad I saw "Hollywoodland." It's a slow moving period piece that carefully builds its characters and draws together pieces of fact and fiction leaving the viewer to decide what really happened to "Superman" George Reeves.

Every actor is superb. Ben Affleck was terrific, better than I've ever seen him. I was touched by his poignant portrayal of Reeves. I'm a huge fan of Bob Hoskins and he was wonderful, as always. Diane Lane and Adrian Brody were great, especially Lane who was not afraid to play a woman terrified of aging in a land where only youth is valued.

I was delighted to see '50's kids loving "Superman." I mouthed the show's famous opening as it played on the screen...."Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerfull than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" Didn't we all know it by heart. That show really did affect kids, and the movie shows that, too.

The film does move slowly, but purposefully. Perhaps they could have cut 15 minutes, but I could live with the pace as it is.

I will say that I'll never think of George Reeves in the same way again.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

XamberB   10-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Maggers Wrote:I was delighted to see '50's kids loving "Superman." I mouthed the show's famous opening as it played on the screen...."Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerfull than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" Didn't we all know it by heart. That show really did affect kids, and the movie shows that, too.

I remember coming home from school and turning on TV for Superman and The Lone Ranger. My boss said he didn't like it, but I think I'll try to see it today. I remember how shocked I was to hear that George Reeves had committed suicide.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
Maggers   10-01-2006, 02:19 PM
XamberB Wrote:I remember coming home from school and turning on TV for Superman and The Lone Ranger. My boss said he didn't like it, but I think I'll try to see it today. I remember how shocked I was to hear that George Reeves had committed suicide.

Yes, those were great shows back then.

Your boss might not have liked it because of its slow moving pace. Be prepared for that. These days, many movie goers demand action-packed, breakneck speed paced films. "Hollywoodland" is not one of them.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

XamberB   10-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Maggers Wrote:Yes, those were great shows back then.

Your boss might not have liked it because of its slow moving pace. Be prepared for that. These days, many movie goers demand action-packed, breakneck speed paced films. "Hollywoodland" is not one of them.

Howdy Dooty Saturday morning -- made the whole week worthwhile. Buster Brown Show on the radio with Froggie the Gremlin -- "Wave your magic twanger, Froggie!" That would have a whole new meaning nowadays. Big Grin

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
Maggers   10-01-2006, 03:45 PM
XamberB Wrote:Howdy Dooty Saturday morning -- made the whole week worthwhile. Buster Brown Show on the radio with Froggie the Gremlin -- "Wave your magic twanger, Froggie!" That would have a whole new meaning nowadays. Big Grin

I come from a family of redheads, and one of my brothers looked just like Howdy Doody. He and my oldest brother were members of the Peanut Gallery! They appeared on TV while I sat home and watched; I was too young. But it was sure fun to see my brothers interacting with Buffalo Bob and Clarabell.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   10-02-2006, 12:50 AM
XamberB Wrote:Howdy Dooty Saturday morning -- made the whole week worthwhile. Buster Brown Show on the radio with Froggie the Gremlin -- "Wave your magic twanger, Froggie!" That would have a whole new meaning nowadays. Big Grin

I had forgotten that it was the Buster Brown Show until you mentioned it. All I remembered was "Andy's Gang," hosted by Andy Devine.

And someone correct me If I'm wrong, but wasn't it "Plunk your magic twanger, froggy."

Anybody notice how "The Golden Age of Television" was a time when the sponsors had the greatest input into program content?

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   10-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Maggers Wrote:I am really glad I saw "Hollywoodland." It's a slow moving period piece that carefully builds its characters and draws together pieces of fact and fiction leaving the viewer to decide what really happened to "Superman" George Reeves.

Every actor is superb. Ben Affleck was terrific, better than I've ever seen him. I was touched by his poignant portrayal of Reeves. I'm a huge fan of Bob Hoskins and he was wonderful, as always. Diane Lane and Adrian Brody were great, especially Lane who was not afraid to play a woman terrified of aging in a land where only youth is valued.

I was delighted to see '50's kids loving "Superman." I mouthed the show's famous opening as it played on the screen...."Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerfull than a locomotive. Able to leap tall buildings at a single bound! Look up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!" Didn't we all know it by heart. That show really did affect kids, and the movie shows that, too.

The film does move slowly, but purposefully. Perhaps they could have cut 15 minutes, but I could live with the pace as it is.

I will say that I'll never think of George Reeves in the same way again.

Sounds good to me Maggers. I don't mind slow-paced movies a bit if they have good character development.

I'm sure we all knew the Superman intro by heart. But do you remember the Lone Ranger intro?

"Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. A firey horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty HI-O Silver! The Lone Ranger!"

I briefly met Clayton Moore at "The End of Trail" International Cowboy Action Shooting Match back in the late '80's.

He still wore his white hat, his black mask, and lived by the Lone Ranger creed which began, "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

There's still controversy over whether George Reeves commit suicide or was murdered.

Ken V.
Maggers   10-02-2006, 01:45 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:And someone correct me If I'm wrong, but wasn't it "Plunk your magic twanger, froggy."

I'd be hard put to tell you what show it was from, but I do remember Andy Devine in a kids' show on TV and yes, the phrase was "Plunk your magic twanger, froggy." Good lord, it's amazing how those phrases from so long ago become lodged indelibly in a nearly inaccessbile part of the brain.

Ken Valentine Wrote:I'm sure we all knew the Superman intro by heart. But do you remember the Lone Ranger intro?
All I remember is "hearty, heigh-ho Silver!"

Quote:There's still controversy over whether George Reeves commit suicide or was murdered.
Indeed, that's what the movie is all about.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   10-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Maggers Wrote:Indeed, that's what the movie is all about.

Here's what IMDB has to say about it:

"What raised eyebrows regarding Reeves' death is that he was found naked in his bedroom by his guests during a small gathering at 1:59 a.m.; his guests waited 45 minutes to call police; detectives found additional bullet holes in the floor of his bedroom; bruises were found on Reeves' body; shell casings were discovered in strange locations; and a jilted lover of an MGM executive and a volatile, overly-possessive fiancée also figured into the unhappy storyline.

"Had attempted suicide twice before. Also, his stepfather committed suicide."

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   10-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Maggers Wrote:All I remember is "hearty, heigh-ho Silver!"

You had to highlight it on my post, but it went:
"Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. A firey horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust, and a hearty HI-O Silver! The Lone Ranger!"

(I can still hear the announcers voice.)

And it is strange . . . the things we remember.

For example I still remember some of the radio programs that later transitioned to television. Gunsmoke being one of them. "With William Conrad as Matt Dillon." He had a voice that was just as unforgettable as James Earl Jones'.

Ken V.
Pages (3): 1 2 3