Pages (3):    1 2 3
Terry Willacker   10-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Do you remember:

It's Howdy Doody time. It's Howdy Doody time.
Buffalo Bob and Howdy too
Say Howdy Do to you
So give a rousing cheer
Cause Howdy Doody's here
It's time to start the show
So, kids, let's go!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Terry Willacker Wrote:Do you remember:

It's Howdy Doody time. It's Howdy Doody time.
Buffalo Bob and Howdy too
Say Howdy Do to you
So give a rousing cheer
Cause Howdy Doody's here
It's time to start the show
So, kids, let's go!

=Remember= it, Terry? Damn, hombre, that's how I get myself started in the morning!
Maggers   10-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Terry Willacker Wrote:I recently met the "real' Lois Lane, Noel Neill at a convention. She insists that George Reeves did not commit suicide. She says the show had been picked up for another season, that Reeves was going to get to direct some episodes, and that he was in great spirits with everything to live for.

You might like the movie, Terry. It's an interesting study of Reeves, controversy and all.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   10-03-2006, 12:36 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I bought a cheap DVD set of LR episodes, and it was horrible. The last two episodes of the 2-DVD set were episode #2, then episode #1 (in that order), of the original 3-part Butch Cavendish story. Episode #3 is not on the set.

The one I bought had the movie "Hi-Yo Silver" on one side, and the first three Clayton Moore episodes -- the Butch Cavendish story -- on the other. I had to return it as the second side was seriously scratched, but the replacement was perfect.

Ken V.
saynomore   10-03-2006, 02:48 PM
As "film noir" I was very disappointed by "Hollywoodland." As a George Reeves fan I was also disappointed. When the gumshoe of the movie (played by Adrien Brody) throws up his hands and figures, "This is Hollywoodland. Who knows what is real or not?", and then sobers up to make up with his estanged family, we know we haven't seen true noir. Can you imagine Marlowe or Spade (or even Gittes) giving up on a case?

I've followed the Reeves case for many years and his best friend, Gene Lebell, told the best version of what happened. On Lebell's website he has started a chapter by chapter account of his friendship with Reeves; it is building to his version of Reeve's death. Those who don't remember Gene Lebell will recognize him when they visit his website: http://www.genelebell.com. He's come out in hundreds of movies, was a wrestler on circuit, and wrote his share of books on Hollywood and wrestling.

AC

P.S. I recommend "The Black Dahlia" for those who prefer bad film noir.
Kenji   06-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Last week was the opening day in Japan. And last night I went to a theatre see "Hollywoodland". And.....you know what? Particularly I'm not Ben Affrec fan. But he was brilliant in this movie. Not only him. Adrian Brody and Diane Lane were terrific. Also Bob Hoskins, he was outstanding.

Actually, I saw "this" Superman on TV. Of course it was a rerun. After I saw Christopher Reeve's Superman, so old version was not my tastes. But now I want to see it again.
Mike Hanson   06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
saynomore Wrote:I've followed the Reeves case for many years and his best friend, Gene Lebell, told the best version of what happened. On Lebell's website he has started a chapter by chapter account of his friendship with Reeves; it is building to his version of Reeve's death. Those who don't remember Gene Lebell will recognize him when they visit his website: http://www.genelebell.com. He's come out in hundreds of movies, was a wrestler on circuit, and wrote his share of books on Hollywood and wrestling.

I skimmed his website and Gene definitely appears to be the real deal.

However, his amazing lifetime experience of having worked with so
MANY big-named action stars and martial arts actors, is so overwhelming
that he "almost" comes off like Paul's eponymous "Effster" character
of past sci-fi convention fame.

And speaking of "The Effster," I for one still hold out hope (however
faint) for his return! So much has happened in the world in the past
25 years that I just KNOW The Effster has intersected with in fun and
interesting ways. Rolleyes

Mike Big Grin
volshan   06-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Ah...the =real= SUPERMAN... I don't recall it, but I'm told my foster-father had to grab me from the window after my announcement, "I can fly like Superman!"

*chuckle*

When I was 4 my folks got me a Superman costume for Halloween. I didn't think I could fly, mind you, but wanted to pretend. So I jumped from a chair in the kitchen, pretending I was flying. That worked just fine!

Jumping back to the chair, however, didn't work out so well. My feet hit the front edge of the chair, just as I'd planned. I hadn't counted on the chair then sliding away from me on the vinyl floor.

A broken coccyx doesn't hurt much though, as long as you don't sit down. Smile

I happen to like character-piece movies, and don't necessarily expect non-stop-action all the time. I loved Hollywoodland, for what it's worth.

Volsh
Annice Burdeos   06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
This was one of those films that deserved to be seen by a wider audience and never was able to. The releasing studio had a small gem on their hands and gave it a severely limited theatrical release.

The final scenario as to how Reeves might have met his end was such a poignant one- I didn't think Aafleck had it in him and he was just fine.

Brody, I could have lived without but within the confines of the narration , he was okay.

Glad some of us are discovering this on DVD.............
Pages (3):    1 2 3