Pages (2): 1 2   
Barry Lee Dejasu   09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I wonder if this is what Tom's new home is like? And when he first arrived, things looked a bit like this?

Well, doesn't that thing floating before the man(-like character) almost resemble the Lilitongue? And like in "The Barrens," I wonder if a whole new range of senses and appearances exist around Tom, now that he's in a very "Other" world?

...now that would be a cool spin-off story: Tom's new life in...?

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
jimbow8   09-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:I wonder if this is what Tom's new home is like? And when he first arrived, things looked a bit like this?

Well, doesn't that thing floating before the man(-like character) almost resemble the Lilitongue? And like in "The Barrens," I wonder if a whole new range of senses and appearances exist around Tom, now that he's in a very "Other" world?

...now that would be a cool spin-off story: Tom's new life in...?
I don't think that even Paul would dispute that The Otherness has some similarities and was somewhat inspired by Lovecraft.

Cool pics, BTW.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Barry Lee Dejasu   09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I don't think that even Paul would dispute that The Otherness has some similarities and was somewhat inspired by Lovecraft.

Cool pics, BTW.

Oh no, of course he wouldn't. Hell, just look at the books being mentioned in The Keep: Al-Azif, De Vermis Mysteriis, The Book of Eibon, The Pnakotic Manuscripts...all are totally either Lovecraft or second-generation Mythos.

And yes, they are cool pics. I love Giacomo Carmangola's artwork. Total Lovecraft (more about the ambient feelings rather than the actual monsters).

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
jimbow8   09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:(more about the ambient feelings rather than the actual monsters).
Well stated. I've tried rather unsuccessfully to verbalize that sentiment. I may have to steal this. Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Blake   09-28-2006, 01:39 PM
*** MAJOR SPOILERS FOR INFERNAL AND HARBINGERS!!! ***

*** I'M NOT KIDDING!!! ***

But is the Lilitongue necessarily related to the Otherness? In Harbingers we get told that a lot of Jack's losses are related to the Ally, not the Otherness. And the Lilitongue was created by a wizard to "elude his enemies", but that doesn't necessarily indicate the wizard was evil and related to the Otherness (not that it would be a stretch), nor that he would fashion an infernal to escape there. Maybe Tom isn't in the Otherness, but somewhere associated with the Ally power. And maybe that's not necessarily any better....

Just a thought.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
webby   09-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Blake Wrote:*** MAJOR SPOILERS FOR INFERNAL AND HARBINGERS!!! ***

*** I'M NOT KIDDING!!! ***

But is the Lilitongue necessarily related to the Otherness? In Harbingers we get told that a lot of Jack's losses are related to the Ally, not the Otherness. And the Lilitongue was created by a wizard to "elude his enemies", but that doesn't necessarily indicate the wizard was evil and related to the Otherness (not that it would be a stretch), nor that he would fashion an infernal to escape there. Maybe Tom isn't in the Otherness, but somewhere associated with the Ally power. And maybe that's not necessarily any better....

Just a thought.

Blake

Very interesting thought! It's possible that the Lilitongue didn't take Tom to the Otherness, but wherever he went, it can't be anyplace good because:

:eek: The Lilitongue is an Infernal. That can't be something good.
:eek: The only information about it was in a "Forbidden" book. Also not looking good.
:eek: The girl with the dog told Tom to throw it back in the water. Definitely not a good sign.

I sure hope we get more clues about what happened to Tom in the remaining RJ books!

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cobalt   09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
webby Wrote:Very interesting thought! It's possible that the Lilitongue didn't take Tom to the Otherness, but wherever he went, it can't be anyplace good because:

:eek: The Lilitongue is an Infernal. That can't be something good.
:eek: The only information about it was in a "Forbidden" book. Also not looking good.
:eek: The girl with the dog told Tom to throw it back in the water. Definitely not a good sign.

I sure hope we get more clues about what happened to Tom in the remaining RJ books!
******SPOILERS BELOW******

An interesting idea here. Maybe Tom DID get sent to the Ally. This may not be all bad though.
If the infernal Lilitongue could transport a person from their enemies, protection from the Otherness was something sought when the Lilitontongue was made. It's been hidden for hundreds of years, made in a time when the Ally was more interested in us.
As to the forbidden books.......well they were seen by humans as bad or evil. Several could have been written by forces of the Ally.....and just grouped with the evil texts, because humans didn't understand them.
Now on the subject of the girl with the dog on the dock. She tells Tom to throw the Lilitongue away. Could this be because she =only= now represents humanity and doesn't depend/trust the ally anymore?
****Super Spoiler****Revised Nightworld
I also remember a passage in the Revised Nightworld by Jack before he heads back to Glaeken's apt. About checking with Tom, he's dead but able to communicate with Jack, as a ghost.

EWMAN
Blake   09-28-2006, 05:19 PM
SPOILER WARNING... YADDA YADDA YADDA...

cobalt79 Wrote:****Super Spoiler****Revised Nightworld
I also remember a passage in the Revised Nightworld by Jack before he heads back to Glaeken's apt. About checking with Tom, he's dead but able to communicate with Jack, as a ghost.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Charlie from The Haunted Air? If not, I missed something pretty major in the revised Nightworld....

Blake

Blake   09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
One more thought: If the Otherness really wanted to piss Jack off, wouldn't it want to keep Tom around? Big Grin

Blake

cobalt   09-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Blake Wrote:SPOILER WARNING... YADDA YADDA YADDA...

Are you sure you're not thinking of Charlie from The Haunted Air? If not, I missed something pretty major in the revised Nightworld....

Blake
I lent my copy of the revised Nightworld to Dan, so I can't quote you a page. But I think I remember Jack going back to speak with Tom and Charlie before he goes back to the apt. If I'm wrong.....well I'm wrong.

EWMAN
Pages (2): 1 2