Pages (2): 1 2   
Dalt   08-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Hello again folks,
Is anyone here familiar with Robert Crais's work in the form of his Elvis Cole novels? I don't know whether 'Our Fearless Leader', FPW, knows Crais or is aware of him or not but there are some remarkable similarities between the characters and their relationships, allow me to elaborate.

-Elvis Cole is a dangerous and very capable 'mr fixit', albeit a PI.

-He has unquestionable integrity and who always looks out for the little guy.

-He operates outside of the law in most cases and has resourceful team of people he calls on for information.

-He works out rigorously; Tai Chi, Tai Kwon Do katas, Sun Salutes and so on.

-He has a friend who owns a gun shop, whom he calls on for back up and supplies.

-He's in love with a woman called Lucy, who is divorced and has a son.

I could go on if I thought about it long enough.

Of course, FPW created RJ first, so I suspect inspiration has been taken...or just coincidence...? Anyone have an opinion or inside knowledge?

Hope your lives are fulfilled and your spirits large.
Dalt
XamberB   08-28-2006, 07:46 AM
Elvis Cole and Joe Pike are my second best detective favorites. I don't think Repairman Jack inspired Elvis. Jack deals with the supernatural, while Elvis is strickly a detective. Also, Elvis gets help from a friend on the police department, and that's obviously not true for Jack.

I do think both were inspired by Robert Heinlein. On Robert Crais's website he used to have a picture of himself in Heinlein's Colorado bomb shelter. There are several of his stories with Heinlein characters - Peewee from Have Spacesuit Will Travel among others.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
Dalt   08-28-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm a big fan of the duo and particularly enjoy the relationship Elvis and Pike have. Having said that, I'd like to see Pike take out one of these bigger villains (like Fallon, Rene, or the Hawaiian, for instance) using a little more brawn than brains though. His hand to hand combat skills haven't fully been represented yet, I feel. A couple of 'stopper' shots with his canon into the chest of some 'leviathan', (who has usually been built up in reputation over 400 pages) is a real anticlimax for me.

RJ is my first love though, no question.

I'm not asserting that Crais took inspiration from FPW but the similarities are there.

You said Elvis is your 'second favourite detective'. I'm assuming you're counting Jack as your first, in the detective genre, or is there another similar franchise I'm missing out on?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Dalt Wrote:I'm a big fan of the duo and particularly enjoy the relationship Elvis and Pike have. Having said that, I'd like to see Pike take out one of these bigger villains (like Fallon, Rene, or the Hawaiian, for instance) using a little more brawn than brains though. His hand to hand combat skills haven't fully been represented yet, I feel. A couple of 'stopper' shots with his canon into the chest of some 'leviathan', (who has usually been built up in reputation over 400 pages) is a real anticlimax for me.

I'm not asserting that Crais took inspiration from FPW but the similarities are there.

You said Elvis is your 'second favourite detective'. I'm assuming you're counting Jack as your first, in the detective genre, or is there another similar franchise I'm missing out on?

Do you know Andrew Vachss' character Burke, Dalt? That is a great series of books. I'd jump up and click my heels like Uncle Scrooge if Jack and Burke ever met and worked on a "job" together.
Dalt   08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Do you know Andrew Vachss' character Burke, Dalt? That is a great series of books. I'd jump up and click my heels like Uncle Scrooge if Jack and Burke ever met and worked on a "job" together.

I've had a look on Ebay, Mike, but there's little to be found on Vachss' stuff. Is there a website I can peruse perhaps?

Should I read them in any particular order?
luthie2   08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Do you know Andrew Vachss' character Burke, Dalt? That is a great series of books. I'd jump up and click my heels like Uncle Scrooge if Jack and Burke ever met and worked on a "job" together.

I just started reading the Burke books as well and am really enjoying them. I've read the first 5 books so far and am waiting for some more that I ordered to arrive.

I've never heard of the Elvis Cole novels. I might need to check these out next. Smile

-Luthie
Scott Miller   08-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Dalt Wrote:I've had a look on Ebay, Mike, but there's little to be found on Vachss' stuff. Is there a website I can peruse perhaps?

This will give you the order...http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/v/andrew-h-vachss/

I haven't read the entire series, maybe 4 or 5 of them, and there is no doubt Burke is a badass, but the subject matter is pitch black.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Dalt Wrote:I've had a look on Ebay, Mike, but there's little to be found on Vachss' stuff. Is there a website I can peruse perhaps?

Check out andrewvachss.com. The hombre is =intense.= But we know that, seeing he's an eyepatch man. Cosmetic surgery could give him his good looks back (haw!), but Vachss =wants= to wear that patch. Why? To let you know... You might as well fuck with a shaved-head man before you mess with an eyepatch man. I'm talkin' truth now!
XamberB   08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Dalt Wrote:I'm a big fan of the duo and particularly enjoy the relationship Elvis and Pike have. Having said that, I'd like to see Pike take out one of these bigger villains (like Fallon, Rene, or the Hawaiian, for instance) using a little more brawn than brains though. His hand to hand combat skills haven't fully been represented yet, I feel. A couple of 'stopper' shots with his canon into the chest of some 'leviathan', (who has usually been built up in reputation over 400 pages) is a real anticlimax for me.

RJ is my first love too. Of Elvis and Pike, I think Pike is the more interesting character. Somehow I feel that there is a Heinlein link, just because both authors are such good storytellers. I remember reading The Tery and Dydeetown, before F. Paul Wilson became famous and thoroughly enjoying both books.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
Dalt   08-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm now on the prowl for Vachss bargains on Ebay, thanks for the tip.
Beside Heinlen,anyone else have any recommendations on the same theme?
Pages (2): 1 2