Annice Burdeos   06-15-2004, 02:26 PM
THIS IS FROM TODAY'S HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

June 15, 2004

Aarniokoski nails 'Repairman' pic

Helmer Douglas Aarniokoski, who frequently collaborates with Robert Rodriguez, is meeting up with "Repairman Jack" for Beacon Pictures, sources said. The project is described as "Indiana Jones" meets "The Mummy," centering on a man for hire who tries to track down an elusive evil figure and save the world. Bill Borden and Barry Rosebush are producing along with Beacon Pictures, where it's being shepherded by company topper Armyan Bernstein and development and production topper Suzann Ellis. Originally written by Trevor Sands, the project was most recently handled by scribe Chris Morgan. Executives at Beacon could not be reached for comment. Aarniokoski is repped by ICM, Nine Yards Entertainment's Matt Luber and attorney Marc Golden at the law firm Gendler & Kelly. He also is attached to direct "The Courier" for Avi Lerner's Millennium Films and producers Willi Baer and Carmen Miller at their Eternity Pictures. For Rodriguez, Aarniokoski has directed second unit on "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and was first assistant director on "Spy Kids" and "From Dusk Till Dawn." (Chris Gardner)
Marc   06-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Basic recap of what Annice said, but Cinescape has a little more info.

Director Douglas Aarniokoski is now attached to helm REPAIRMAN JACK, a action-adventure with supernatural overtones, for Beacon Pictures. Based upon the character created by F. Paul Wilson, the Repairman is a Manhattan-based guy who exists outside of the system. When you have a problem and the government, police and system can't help you, you turn to Jack.

The script for REPAIRMAN JACK was written by Trevor Sands, with a recent polish by Chris Morgan. Hollywood Reporter describes the movie's premise as about Jack tracking down an elusive evil man who has designs on the world.

I for one am a little concerned with, "Based upon the character created by F. Paul Wilson." But maybe I'm reading too much into it. :confused:
Scott Hajek   06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Marc B. Wrote:Basic recap of what Annice said, but Cinescape has a little more info.

Director Douglas Aarniokoski is now attached to helm REPAIRMAN JACK, a action-adventure with supernatural overtones, for Beacon Pictures. Based upon the character created by F. Paul Wilson, the Repairman is a Manhattan-based guy who exists outside of the system. When you have a problem and the government, police and system can't help you, you turn to Jack.

The script for REPAIRMAN JACK was written by Trevor Sands, with a recent polish by Chris Morgan. Hollywood Reporter describes the movie's premise as about Jack tracking down an elusive evil man who has designs on the world.

I for one am a little concerned with, "Based upon the character created by F. Paul Wilson." But maybe I'm reading too much into it. :confused:

I'm more concerned with the description "an elusive evil man who has designs on the world."

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Marc   06-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I'm more concerned with the description "an elusive evil man who has designs on the world."

Yeah... that's just, if not more, as scary. Maybe we should start praying?
fpw   06-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Marc B. Wrote:The script for REPAIRMAN JACK was written by Trevor Sands, with a recent polish by Chris Morgan. Hollywood Reporter describes the movie's premise as about Jack tracking down an elusive evil man who has designs on the world.[/i]

Let's not worry about what the Hollywood Reporter says. Chris Morgan rewrote Craig Spector's script. Trevor Sands's work play little / no part in it.

Don't worry about "designs on the world" -- that ain't in there.

Douglas Aarniokoski directed Highlander: Endgame and has done lots of 1st AD and 2nd unit work on big pictures. He's also done lots of uncredited reshoots to pull big-name directors' asses out of the fire. The most important thing is he's done a fair amount of work in Shanghai (where the film will be shot) and has worked with Bill Borden, one of the producers.

Negotiations have been in the works for some time but I haven't been able to speak about them. Now that the ink is dry, that's the story.

Familiar with Shanghai...has the confidence of Robert Rodriguez...now has a chance to make his mark...I'm cool with that.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   06-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Are the New York exterior scenes being shot in Shanghai also? I had been under the impression that just the "India" scenes were being shot there.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   06-16-2004, 07:47 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Are the New York exterior scenes being shot in Shanghai also? I had been under the impression that just the "India" scenes were being shot there.

AS I understand it, everything will be shot in and around Shanghai which, I am told, has New York street sets that look New Yorkier and New York itself. And since a lot of action will be switched to NYC's Chinatown, extras will be no problem.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
nijimeijer   06-16-2004, 10:16 AM
In his defense (re: Endgame), he got the rug pulled out from under him on that movie in a terrible way by the studio (not his current studio).

Otherwise, it's the "best" of the Highlander sequels, and could have been better (although the script itself is where most of the problems lay).

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
Dave   07-13-2004, 06:48 AM
It's been a long time coming, but Repairman Jack finally gets a mention in the Development Hell section of SFX (a UK scifi/fantasy genre mag).

Nothing new added that wasn't in the press articles a month back, but they namecheck Paul and The Tomb, citing the original release back in 1984.

I read SFX every month, and it sent a chill down my back when I saw it listed. Smile

Dave