Pages (3): 1 2 3   
fpw   06-14-2004, 03:31 PM
I watched every episode of this. I kept saying I wasn't coming back, but then I would.

Maybe because I kept wondering about Timothy Olyphant without the facial hair. He has an intensity and demeanor that I can see in Jack. Right age too.

But the reason I think I kept coming back was Ian McShane's job of playing Al Swearengen, the most complex villain I've ever encountered. He's a lying, cheating, murdering whoremonger who beats up women when he's in the mood. And yet...and yet...

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   06-14-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm not even sure what Deadwood is. Is it a TV series or a mini-series?

Timothy Olyphant might make a good Jack. The only thing I really remember him in is Dreamcatcher, which was not a good movie, but that was not the fault of the actors. The actors did a good job in my opinion.

I'm intriqued by your description of the villain. More complex than Hans Gruber or The Cigarette Smoking Man?

Check out IMDb for pics of TO without whiskers: Timothy Olyphant
This post was last modified: 06-14-2004, 04:05 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Dave   06-14-2004, 05:44 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Check out IMDb for pics of TO without whiskers: Timothy Olyphant

You should check him out in "Go" and "The Girl Next Door". He plays a similar character in both who is charming, but with a heavy vein of darkside running through.

I think he could do well. Again, people know the face, but not the name.

Dave
jimbow8   06-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Dave Wrote:You should check him out in "Go" and "The Girl Next Door". He plays a similar character in both who is charming, but with a heavy vein of darkside running through.

I think he could do well. Again, people know the face, but not the name.

Dave
I never saw The Girl Next Door, but I HATED Go

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
The Mad American   06-14-2004, 06:05 PM
fpw Wrote:I watched every episode of this. I kept saying I wasn't coming back, but then I would.

Maybe because I kept wondering about Timothy Olyphant without the facial hair. He has an intensity and demeanor that I can see in Jack. Right age too.

But the reason I think I kept coming back was Ian McShane's job of playing Al Swearengen, the most complex villain I've ever encountered. He's a lying, cheating, murdering whoremonger who beats up women when he's in the mood. And yet...and yet...

I have had the same reaction to Deadwood. The storyline seems confused and weak and I keep telling myself I am not going to watch it anymore, but then I find myself watching it again. Timothy Olyphant as Jack I can definately see. Never occurred to me but he does have a lot of the qualities that I would imagine Jack would have physically.

Don't you find the language in Deadwood has gone overboard and kind of turned into a parody of "tough" movie language? I think that along with the story line seeming to be dragging at a snails pace that the language seems to be comical to me. I have no problems with language in movies, I really enjoy Tarantino films and the like but it just seems like they are trying to overdue the language in Deadwood.

But, as I said I keep finding myself watching it. I think it must be the great character work by the actors as it is most definately not the story.
jimbow8   06-14-2004, 06:59 PM
I had possibly a similar experience watching American Gothic (TV series produce by Shaun Cassidy starring Gary Cole). The acting, atmosphere, everything about it was incredible, but the plot never seemed to take off. It eventually got bogged down and cancelled before it could reach its full potential. Pity!

SDSwami   06-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Being from SD and knowing quite a bit about the history of the Black Hills and Deadwood, I really enjoyed this series. There were noticeable differences between the series and reality, but overall, I thought they did a very good job. I must say I even learned a few things that I didn't know (mostly that there really was an Al Swearingen and a Gem Saloon).

There's been a lot of talk in the paper and news here about the swearing in the series, and a lot of the historians they've talked to have said that it's more accurate than most people want to believe.

I found Swearingen's character very interesting. You start out hating him and then, as you get to know him, you begin to like him (I probably won't go as far as loving him). Even more interesting to me was the relationship between Swearingen and Bullock. For two people that have a hatred between each other, they have grown to this understanding to tolerate each other. It will be interesting to see if that get's strained now that Bullock is sheriff during next season.

Now that FPW mentioned TO as Jack, I'm all for it. The rage he showed during this series is perfect for Jack. If you haven't seen the series, try to find a copy of the season finale.
fpw   06-14-2004, 10:03 PM
SDSwami Wrote:Now that FPW mentioned TO as Jack, I'm all for it. The rage he showed during this series is perfect for Jack. If you haven't seen the series, try to find a copy of the season finale.

Bullock (Olyphant) has a great slow burn, but when he ignites, even his partner Sol knows to get out of the way. The one-fisted beating he administered in the last episode was something to behold.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   06-15-2004, 12:34 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I had possibly a similar experience watching American Gothic (TV series produce by Shaun Cassidy starring Gary Cole). The acting, atmosphere, everything about it was incredible, but the plot never seemed to take off. It eventually got bogged down and cancelled before it could reach its full potential. Pity!

My son is named after Caleb, Lukas Black's character. Apt description of the show.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Dave   06-15-2004, 06:31 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I had possibly a similar experience watching American Gothic (TV series produce by Shaun Cassidy starring Gary Cole). The acting, atmosphere, everything about it was incredible, but the plot never seemed to take off. It eventually got bogged down and cancelled before it could reach its full potential. Pity!

Word is they may be making a movie version. Gary Cole is lined up to play the same character but they're on the lookout for a new Caleb (the old one having grown up and all). I believe Sam Raimi was behind the show and is at least producing the movie version.

Dave
Pages (3): 1 2 3