Pages (12): 1 2 3 4 5 12   
saynomore   05-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I thought it was too soon for this movie, and after seeing it, I know so: Not a dry eye in the house. This movie was shown without ads or previews. Straight to the movie. Nothing shown before or after. The movie plays like a docu-drama in real time. I hadn't planned to see United 93 as I did believe it was too soon for a 9/11 movie, but I'm glad I did see it. I recommend it.

AC

P.S. What was the first Pearl Harbor movie and what year? Was it From Here to Eternity? Just asking. How long did Hollywood wait to make a PH movie?
Scott Hajek   05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
From everything I've heard or read about this movie, it is pretty good and done without dishonoring the victims of that flight.

However, being the skeptic/cynic/conspiracy theorist that I am, I will not see this one in the theater. I will wait for it to come to DVD and further wait for it to be available at the library so I don't have to pay for it. Shortly after the events of 9-11, I became thoroughly disgusted by the elevated figurehead status of Todd "Let's Roll" Beamer and the non-reference to the remaining victims. His widow far exceeded her 15 minutes of fame and was herself elevated to holy status only because her husband could be overheard saying two words. She was paraded through the media circus by the evangelicals and capitalized by publishing a book. What happened to all of the other victim's families? They were screwed over. This movie does acknowledge that there were other people on that flight, but this is where it comes TOO LATE instead of being too early.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
law dawg   05-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:
From everything I've heard or read about this movie, it is pretty good and done without dishonoring the victims of that flight.

However, being the skeptic/cynic/conspiracy theorist that I am, I will not see this one in the theater. I will wait for it to come to DVD and further wait for it to be available at the library so I don't have to pay for it. Shortly after the events of 9-11, I became thoroughly disgusted by the elevated figurehead status of Todd "Let's Roll" Beamer and the non-reference to the remaining victims. His widow far exceeded her 15 minutes of fame and was herself elevated to holy status only because her husband could be overheard saying two words. She was paraded through the media circus by the evangelicals and capitalized by publishing a book. What happened to all of the other victim's families? They were screwed over. This movie does acknowledge that there were other people on that flight, but this is where it comes TOO LATE instead of being too early.

See the movie. The "let's roll" comment is not a battle cry but like a guy with a dirty job to do.

The movie honors all of them. No one is singled out.

It is a powerful piece of moviemaking.
Scott Hajek   05-18-2006, 11:33 PM
law dawg Wrote:See the movie. The "let's roll" comment is not a battle cry but like a guy with a dirty job to do.

The movie honors all of them. No one is singled out.

It is a powerful piece of moviemaking.

I'm sure the movie does portray everything as real as possible, it's just that it's all too soon for me. Not because of the tragedy, but because of the exploitation of the tragedy for political and financial reasons.

I will see it, but only when I can do it for free.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
saynomore   05-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:

Okay, I'll treat. Thirty bucks is on the way. Email me the address I should ship the money to, or, if you use paypal, the email where I can post the $$ to your account. No tricks. One catch. Go see the movie.

AC

P.S. This offer void to all relatives and friends to whom I owe money.
Marc   05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I won't see it because I don't believe this is the way it happened. There's too much evidence that disputes the passengers bringing down the plane, so I refuse to see an exploitive "patriotic" movie.
jimbow8   05-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Marc B. Wrote:I won't see it because I don't believe this is the way it happened. There's too much evidence that disputes the passengers bringing down the plane, so I refuse to see an exploitive "patriotic" movie.
It reminds me of A Perfect Storm, where, since everyone dies, no one knows what really happened.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   05-19-2006, 11:00 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:It reminds me of A Perfect Storm, where, since everyone dies, no one knows what really happened.

"A Perfect Storm"... now that was a good movie.

Scott Hajek

Scott Hajek   05-19-2006, 11:03 AM
saynomore Wrote:Okay, I'll treat. Thirty bucks is on the way. Email me the address I should ship the money to, or, if you use paypal, the email where I can post the $$ to your account. No tricks. One catch. Go see the movie.

AC

P.S. This offer void to all relatives and friends to whom I owe money.

I appreciate the offer, but I will wait until it comes out on DVD. Besides, if I'm going to squeeze out enough time to see a movie at the theater, I'll be seeing X-Men 3 or some other blockbuster movie. I won't be seeing "The DaVinci Code, however, since it apparently sucks as a movie and I've got better things to do than spend $10+ on a 2-1/2 hour crapfest.

Scott Hajek

hford713   05-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:

I'm sure the movie does portray everything as real as possible, it's just that it's all too soon for me. Not because of the tragedy, but because of the exploitation of the tragedy for political and financial reasons.

That's precisely how I feel about it.

The day its director comes out and states that he is going to donate EVERY penny of profit from B.O. receipts to whatever charity, is the day I'll rent it.

The director obviously spent a good chunk of his time bringing this project to fruition - and he did it for money, not a message.

I usually don't take stances like this, but this is one that just kind of made me sick.
Pages (12): 1 2 3 4 5 12