fpw   05-17-2006, 06:01 PM
[SIZE="3"]Y'know what? Not bad. Better than not bad. Fun. But you've got approach it as what it is: a film based on a videogame. The storyline offered some surprises and is more intelligent than it needs to be. I think if you've played this game, (as I have -- and very few males out there haven't), you'll have a good time. The first-person shooter sequence is straight out of the game -- that and the BFG (wow) had me grinning. Favorite line: The Rock saying, "I'm not supposed to die!" as he gets pulled through a grate by one of the mutants.

FF=0[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Y'know what? Not bad. Better than not bad. Fun. But you've got approach it as what it is: a film based on a videogame. The storyline offered some surprises and is more intelligent than it needs to be. I think if you've played this game, (as I have -- and very few males out there haven't), you'll have a good time. The first-person shooter sequence is straight out of the game -- that and the BFG (wow) had me grinning. Favorite line: The Rock saying, "I'm not supposed to die!" as he gets pulled through a grate by one of the mutants.

FF=0[/SIZE]
I think Rock's charisma pulls this movie along. Not a great movie, but it had some fun moments as you say.

I hope you watched the extras. There was a "documentary" about the evolution of the FPS video game which was, IMHO, better than the movie.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Jay #1   05-18-2006, 10:33 AM
The impression I got was as follows.

"It's Rock. There's Rock again. Oh wait, it's some guy. Hey, There's The Rock again!"
Noelie   05-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I was dragged into watching this kicking and screaming, but I really enjoyed it. Not great, but I've certainly seen worse.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Biggles   05-18-2006, 04:57 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Y'know what? Not bad. Better than not bad. Fun. But you've got approach it as what it is: a film based on a videogame. The storyline offered some surprises and is more intelligent than it needs to be. I think if you've played this game, (as I have -- and very few males out there haven't), you'll have a good time. The first-person shooter sequence is straight out of the game -- that and the BFG (wow) had me grinning. Favorite line: The Rock saying, "I'm not supposed to die!" as he gets pulled through a grate by one of the mutants.

FF=0[/SIZE]

I enjoyed it as well. And the FPS part was the best. I wish the entire movie had been FPS (although I realize it wouldn't have worked).

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Kenji   08-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Last night I saw DOOM.

I knew it was based on a videogame, but it was better than I expected. The first-person shooter sequences were pretty good. Better than "Alone In The Dark". AITD was worst.

Anyway, one of reasons which I enjoyed were THE ROCK. He was exactly game character. His features, his moves, his speaking.....everything's unrealistic.Big Grin
Jamo   08-13-2006, 06:25 AM
i haven't seen it yet, but my friends said its pretty good. So, i will have to watch it ^^

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Visit my private Portfolio on www.manufolio.de
Sigokat   08-13-2006, 07:05 AM
wow, I'm surprised so many people out there liked this movie.

I for one am glad that I did not pay to see it. Having played DOOM I was expecting alot, however for me i was highly disappointed. They changed the whole basic concept of the storyline and honestly I thought the acting was rather dull. The Rock, surprisingly, can act, he just chose not to in this movie.

The BFG was cool except, to paraphrase PC Gamer, if you're going to put the BFG in a movie at least KILL something with it!! Also, I personally did not like the FPS thing. It started out alright, but lasted too long, IMO. If I wanted to play a video game I would, but I wanted to see a movie.

Oh well, like I said, at least I didn't have to pay to watch it.

Just my two Lincolns

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Barry Lee Dejasu   01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
One of my Christmas presents this year, I finally saw DOOM for the first time today. It was not great, not at all, but...I liked it! I think half of the reason I enjoyed it so much was due to how silly it was at times.

FPW Wrote:Favorite line: The Rock saying, "I'm not supposed to die!" as he gets pulled through a grate by one of the mutants.
...exactly what I mean. Because of scenes like that and typical "Hey, it's a dark spooky room, let's go investigaaa--glck!" actions, and not to mention more than a few unbelievable characters and other moments, I enjoyed this movie on a Cliffhanger level.

...the other half of the reason I enjoyed this movie, however, was due to it being downright cool. I loved the Universal logo swirling around Mars at the beginning (dorky, I know), and of course there was a certain scene involving FPS...and that was just frickin' awesome.

I was a little disappointed with the Rock this time. I realize the only movies that I've seen him in were The Mummy Returns and The Scorpion King, but I liked him in the latter - really got to show off his humor abilities (and he does have them - and I don't mean at times when you're not supposed to be laughing). 'twas a shame he was so straight-faced (and not to mention, more than a few times, bug-eyed) in this movie.

I also like how Karl Urban's scar on his cheek completely vanished after the FPS scene...hehe. Good times.

I'd give this movie 3 1/2 stars out of 5. Fun, wild thriller.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
jimbow8   01-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:One of my Christmas presents this year, I finally saw DOOM for the first time today. It was not great, not at all, but...I liked it! I think half of the reason I enjoyed it so much was due to how silly it was at times.

...exactly what I mean. Because of scenes like that and typical "Hey, it's a dark spooky room, let's go investigaaa--glck!" actions, and not to mention more than a few unbelievable characters and other moments, I enjoyed this movie on a Cliffhanger level.

...the other half of the reason I enjoyed this movie, however, was due to it being downright cool. I loved the Universal logo swirling around Mars at the beginning (dorky, I know), and of course there was a certain scene involving FPS...and that was just frickin' awesome.

I was a little disappointed with the Rock this time. I realize the only movies that I've seen him in were The Mummy Returns and The Scorpion King, but I liked him in the latter - really got to show off his humor abilities (and he does have them - and I don't mean at times when you're not supposed to be laughing). 'twas a shame he was so straight-faced (and not to mention, more than a few times, bug-eyed) in this movie.

I also like how Karl Urban's scar on his cheek completely vanished after the FPS scene...hehe. Good times.

I'd give this movie 3 1/2 stars out of 5. Fun, wild thriller.
I think I posted this earlier: make sure you check out the DVD extras. The feature about the game was really cool and nostalgic.

Check out the Rock in Be Cool if you want to see funny. Big Grin

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft