fpw   05-10-2006, 09:21 PM
[SIZE="3"]I didn’t have high hopes for this, but with Terry Gilliam at the helm I had hopes. It could have been wonderful (to quote Jeffery Lyons’s re: The Keep). This could have been a puissant story about the power of myth if Gilliam hadn’t played it so broadly. I loved the way elements from Grimm fairy tales were worked into the narrative, but the overall impact was vitiated by silly characterizations. (Though Lena Headey was wonderful, and I liked Heath Ledger as the visionary brother.) I didn’t FF much because the premise was so appealing, but the film didn’t gel. I find this sort of film extremely frustrating because all the elements for greatness are there but they’re squandered.

FF=1.5[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Silverfish   05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I loved the fairy tales as a kid. My favourite story is "One-eye, Two-eyes, Three-eyes." I bought the complete works because I was separated from my copy in a move somewhere and still read them before bed sometimes. I'm about half-way through. Haven't seen the movie yet.

Stephanie Smile

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Scott Hajek   05-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I haven't had the chance to see this one, but I love Gilliam's work. If only he could've done "Watchmen."

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Mark S.   05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
I've loved a lot of Gilliam's previous work, but this movie looked really bad. I still haven't seen it.

But honeslty, I want to. I'll watch anything with Monica Bellucci in it.
jacobm   05-11-2006, 04:06 PM
For some reason watching this movie reminded me of that old movie called "Time Bandits"...did Gilliam do that also? I can't remember...
jimbow8   05-11-2006, 04:13 PM
jacobm Wrote:For some reason watching this movie reminded me of that old movie called "Time Bandits"...did Gilliam do that also? I can't remember...
Yes, he did.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000416/#director
This post was last modified: 05-11-2006, 04:21 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
I like "The Brothers Grimm", but my favorite Gilliam's film is "The Fisher King".
HaroldDemure   05-14-2006, 11:33 AM
this movie is fun and pretty to look at. i have heard mumblings that Gilliam has already been aproached to direct the 6th Harry Potter film.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-14-2006, 08:42 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I didn’t have high hopes for this, but with Terry Gilliam at the helm I had hopes. It could have been wonderful (to quote Jeffery Lyons’s re: The Keep). This could have been a puissant story about the power of myth if Gilliam hadn’t played it so broadly. I loved the way elements from Grimm fairy tales were worked into the narrative, but the overall impact was vitiated by silly characterizations. (Though Lena Headey was wonderful, and I liked Heath Ledger as the visionary brother.) I didn’t FF much because the premise was so appealing, but the film didn’t gel. I find this sort of film extremely frustrating because all the elements for greatness are there but they’re squandered.

FF=1.5[/SIZE]

Always remember, in this world of woe
Sturgeon's Law is running the show