Scott Miller   05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
The Aussie import, Little Fish is a three-run homer to Requiem For a Dream's Grand Slam of grungy people you probably wouldn't want to know but somehow are compelled to watch in a film. Outstanding acting by Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and the remaining cast make the gritty realism of the script come to life. It highlights how those unfortunate enough to be born without the silver spoon are often led astray by drugs and alcohol and how the 'real world' doesn't much care how or if you've managed to redeem yourself. A solid movie worth renting, but not if you're looking for peppy.

Sam Neill also makes an extended cameo as a drug dealer. For a guy who has been in some blockbusters, he certainly isn't afraid of taking smaller roles in indie fare. Too bad more actors can't seem to follow suit.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Marc   05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my Netflix queue.
Maggers   06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Scott, I can always count on you to have seen the odd little indies that I generally love.

I caught "Little Fish" the other day. I needed a translator. Those Aussie accents are HEAVY. I also needed a map. I kept asking myself who are these people and how are they related? "Little Fish" is one of those movies that folds in on itself and out again. It seems that time is tricky and the movie appears not to be linear. It took me a while to catch on, a long while. It wasn't until the end of the movie that I could look back and figure out what I'd seen.

I am a huge fan of Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving and Sam Neill. I love that they all enjoy working in indies, taking the role for the role and not necessarily for the money.

I'm not crazy about "Little Fish," but I do recommend it for those who like the unusual. It's a movie that requires thought. I don't think you can watch it casually.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like it. It's just that watching it was so damn confusing.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd