Pages (14):    1 10 11 12 13 14   
webby   10-11-2006, 12:03 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:Obssess away.... When someone gets the connection or doesn't....asking or exploring an idea just gets us all in the process. Thoughts are posted and shared, we all learn. There's things we pick up and post....and when you think again about them, they =click=. Okay I'm tired and rammbling away again...Wink

By the by, neat avitar....who's the fuzz critter?

Warm fuzzy moment: I just love being able to discuss books (and other things) with this group. Not enough readers in the rest of my life, and not all of them like the kinds of books I like. I'd just be a tangled little knot of frustration if I didn't have you guys! Group Hug! Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tenebroust   10-11-2006, 12:04 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:Obssess away.... When someone gets the connection or doesn't....asking or exploring an idea just gets us all in the process. Thoughts are posted and shared, we all learn. There's things we pick up and post....and when you think again about them, they =click=. Okay I'm tired and rammbling away again...Wink

By the by, neat avitar....who's the fuzz critter?

That would be my cat SMOKEY! He's the bomb, and knows it, that's why I'm not going to tell him you thought his pic was neat! Thanks!

Make copies for yourself YOU HANGMAN ROPE GANGSTER SCUM-ON-TOP! Laugh your MAD GIGGLE NOW!
Francis E. Dec Esquire
Visit the Official Francis E. Dec fan club at http://www.bentoandstarchky.com

For the politically active you might like my website at:
http://www.platformforthefuture.com/main
tenebroust   10-11-2006, 12:07 AM
webby Wrote:Warm fuzzy moment: I just love being able to discuss books (and other things) with this group. Not enough readers in the rest of my life, and not all of them like the kinds of books I like. I'd just be a tangled little knot of frustration if I didn't have you guys! Group Hug! Big Grin

I couldn't agree more! Sometimes I read something that is so good that I tell my girlfriend about it and she patiently listens to me as I drone on and on, and end up telling her the whole story! She's a sweetheart that way, but she has slightly different tastes than me! It's great to be able to toss up ideas with people who already know the background and the story, so you can get down to the nuances and ideas that the story invokes.

Make copies for yourself YOU HANGMAN ROPE GANGSTER SCUM-ON-TOP! Laugh your MAD GIGGLE NOW!
Francis E. Dec Esquire
Visit the Official Francis E. Dec fan club at http://www.bentoandstarchky.com

For the politically active you might like my website at:
http://www.platformforthefuture.com/main
furin   10-14-2006, 06:29 PM
This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, especially

*Spoiler warning.. which if you hadn't figured their would be spoilers in here that's rather sad*

when Gia and Vicky got hit by the truck. I literally felt my stomach drop when I read that. I was very thinking that Dov was gonna be able to stop them and keep their attention long enough for them not to get hit but then... wow. Even more so my stomach dropped when it was confirmed Emma was dead. Wow.. just..wow

I've also fallen in love with that "A spear has no branches" concept. That gave the story a whole new dimension in my eyes.
cobalt   10-15-2006, 06:54 PM
furin Wrote:This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, especially

*Spoiler warning.. which if you hadn't figured their would be spoilers in here that's rather sad*

when Gia and Vicky got hit by the truck. I literally felt my stomach drop when I read that. I was very thinking that Dov was gonna be able to stop them and keep their attention long enough for them not to get hit but then... wow. Even more so my stomach dropped when it was confirmed Emma was dead. Wow.. just..wow

I've also fallen in love with that "A spear has no branches" concept. That gave the story a whole new dimension in my eyes.
Ah, but this spear is going to do things HIS WAY.

EWMAN
furin   10-16-2006, 12:57 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:Ah, but this spear is going to do things HIS WAY.

Oh quite quite.. spears don't always fly in the path you throw them Wink
Ken Valentine   10-16-2006, 02:28 AM
furin Wrote:Oh quite quite.. spears don't always fly in the path you throw them Wink

Yes they do . . . it just may not be the path you intended. Wink

This particular spear however, happens to have a mind of his own.

Ken V.
Mike Hanson   10-16-2006, 01:42 PM
** Potential Spoiler **

Some fun Spear quotes...

Now which one would should our, umm, talking spear...shout out to The Adversary? :p

"Faith laughs at the shaking of the spear;
unbelief trembles at the shaking of a leaf."

-- Robert Cecil

"I have, by long experience,
found women to be like Telephus's spear:
if one end kills, the other cures."

-- Philip Dormer Stanhope

"My words the words that priest and soldier said,
My deed the spear to desecrate the dead."

-- Mary Elizabeth Coleridge

"Remember, Hector, every valor of yours,
for now the need comes hardest upon you to be a
spearman and a bold warrior.
There shall be no escape for you,
you will pay in a lump for all those
sorrows of my companion's you killed
in your spear's fury!"

-- Achilles, The Iliad

"Bring me my spear: O clouds unfold!"

-- William Blake, Jerusalem

"Come, behold the works of the LORD,
what desolations he hath made in the earth.
He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth;
he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder!"

-- Psalm 46, The Bible
Mick C.   10-25-2006, 09:00 PM
MAJOR SPOILER ALERT...

Just finished reading HARBINGERS, one of the best RJ books yet!

I also am glad that Jack didn't go to Europe to switch identities, "Repairman Mirko" just doesn't have the same elan...

After R slaughtered the Oculus and the Yeniceri, I was suspicious about Diana, and whether she was all she seemed to be after the Yeniceri found her unharmed in the next room. Given R's capabilities as a shape-shifter, and that he has, after all, taken the shape of a female before. As R appears later in his own form, and given the events at the end, it seems like just a subtle head-fake by fpw. I think.

Re the significance of the dogs, it could just be an efficient calling card - a woman alone in different guises wouldn't be as instantly recognizable to Jack.

I think it may be that dogs are our closest contact with the natural world. With cats and horses close behind in the running, they are the species with which we have the closest symbiotic relationship. A woman with a cat might bring unwanted Wicca connotations, and a woman with a horse would be unwieldy in most situations.

I always liked the legend (said to be Native American, but I doubt it) from an old Classics Illustrated comic about how God decided man was too close to the animals so he caused a great chasm to open between man and all other animals. All the other animals began to walk away from the widening gorge, but at the last moment the dog leaped across the chasm and landed at man's side, where he has stayed ever since. That's kind of the feeling I get about dogs - they're our interface with the animal world.

Another thought - maybe it is the dog who is calling the shots and the lady who is the dog's mouthpiece...

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Maggers   10-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Mick C. Wrote:[...Another thought - maybe it is the dog who is calling the shots and the lady who is the dog's mouthpiece...

I like the way you think!

It's good to hear from you again, Mick.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (14):    1 10 11 12 13 14