Pages (2):    1 2
Mick C.   11-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Tempest Wrote:Kenji, he said "I can't recommend this movie enough", which is another way of saying "I highly recommend this movie".

Kenji That's one of those odd ambiguous colloquialisms in English you just have to experience. Like saying "you can't have too much of a good thing." It could mean either:

o Too much of a good thing isn't enough

or:

o Too much of a good thing is dangerous.

There was an old skit on Saturday Night Live where the retiring technician at a nuclear plant tells his co-workers on his last day: "Always remember one thing: You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor's cooling system." He leaves, and the other workers can't decide if he meant "a lot of water is good" or "too much water is bad". They dither until the nuclear plant blows up. The retired worker, sitting with his neighbor miles away sees a glow on the horizon and they think it's the setting sun. The retired worker says to his neighbor, "Remember: You can't look too long into the setting sun" and walks away obliviously as the skit ends.

English must seem like a really bizarre language.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Kenji   11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Mick C. Wrote:Kenji That's one of those odd ambiguous colloquialisms in English you just have to experience. Like saying "you can't have too much of a good thing." It could mean either:

o Too much of a good thing isn't enough

or:

o Too much of a good thing is dangerous.

There was an old skit on Saturday Night Live where the retiring technician at a nuclear plant tells his co-workers on his last day: "Always remember one thing: You can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor's cooling system." He leaves, and the other workers can't decide if he meant "a lot of water is good" or "too much water is bad". They dither until the nuclear plant blows up. The retired worker, sitting with his neighbor miles away sees a glow on the horizon and they think it's the setting sun. The retired worker says to his neighbor, "Remember: You can't look too long into the setting sun" and walks away obliviously as the skit ends.

English must seem like a really bizarre language.

Oh, well, Mick.........now you really confused me. :dontknow:
Mick C.   11-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Kenji Wrote:Oh, well, Mick.........now you really confused me. :dontknow:

Sorry! I should have left well enough alone.

It just goes to show: you can't have too much information...Wink

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Libby   11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I loved that movie! I love mysteries, and I am in high school, what more could one ask for?

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Paige   11-09-2008, 03:37 AM
Just got home from a screening of Brothers Bloom, a movie by Rian Johnson, the creator of Brick. What an amazing movie. Hands down the best thing I've seen all year.

It's a very classy, dramatic comedy about two brothers who happen to be confedence men, staring Mark Ruffalo and Adrien Brody.

If you enjoyed Brick, you'll love Brothers Bloom.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
Pacal   11-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Paige Wrote:If you enjoyed Brick, you'll love Brothers Bloom.

Brick was smart and entertaining, go figure. Brothers Bloom just made my list.
Pages (2):    1 2