fpw   06-09-2004, 10:54 AM
This film is a documentary about the 1999 National Spelling Bee. It follows 8 kids from regional contests to the Nat'l finals. Sounds like a terrible bore, right? That's what I said when someone recommended it. Then someone else recommended it. So I gave it a shot.

Gripping from the git-go.

The amazing thing is how many of the kids are 1st generation Americans; English is a second language for their parents. It's about competition, obsession, and very much about the American dream. Seven of the kids are sweet and charming; one is completely obnoxious (you'll immediately know who), but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a neurological disorder (maybe a Tourette's variant).

Well worth the rental fee.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   06-09-2004, 11:41 AM
fpw Wrote:The amazing thing is how many of the kids are 1st generation Americans; English is a second language for their parents. It's about competition, obsession, and very much about the American dream. Seven of the kids are sweet and charming; one is completely obnoxious (you'll immediately know who), but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a neurological disorder (maybe a Tourette's variant).
I found that I learned to understand English a lot better once I started taking a foreign language (German) in High School. I understood the parts of speech and structure of sentences a lot better than I had before. I had/have always been good with English, but I learning a foreign language helped immensely. I am (naturally) a good speller so I can't speak directly of that, but maybe that is why "1st generation Americans" are good spellers.

Just a theory.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I found that I learned to understand English a lot better once I started taking a foreign language (German) in High School.

English is a ployglot language (much of it Germanic in origin, btw). So knowing another European language can only bolster your English. But I can't see any benefit from having parents who speak Hindi or Urdu.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   06-09-2004, 12:19 PM
But maybe learning the language with spellings and meanings has an advantage to normal child's learning words as a toddler and not having written words to associate the spoken word with.

Does any of that make sense?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   06-09-2004, 02:12 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:But maybe learning the language with spellings and meanings has an advantage to normal child's learning words as a toddler and not having written words to associate the spoken word with.

Does any of that make sense?

Yes.............

FPW
FAQ
Scott Miller   06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE=3]This film is a documentary about the 1999 National Spelling Bee. It follows 8 kids from regional contests to the Nat'l finals. Sounds like a terrible bore, right? That's what I said when someone recommended it. Then someone else recommended it. So I gave it a shot.

Gripping from the git-go.

I found Spellbound fascinating. I was watching some of this year's event and am blown away just by the words that the competitors are asked to spell, let alone their ability to spell them.

One of my professors is one of the judges and can be seen in several shots in the documentary. He is an Asian gentleman, Dr. Low, and the best professor I've had.

Scott-5th grade spelling bee champ (its been downhill since).

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-19-2004, 08:52 AM
fpw Wrote:English is a ployglot language (much of it Germanic in origin, btw). So knowing another European language can only bolster your English. But I can't see any benefit from having parents who speak Hindi or Urdu.

Well, it might help a guy whisper sweet nothings in Kolabati's ear...