Scott Miller   04-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Outside of the occasional kids movie, I haven't been watching hardly anything and what I've seen hasn't really made much of an impression. That changed last night with What Alice Found, an excellent little drama about a disenfranchised teen who leaves New Hampshire for Florida. Along the way she experiences car problems and is picked up by an older, nomadic couple traveling endlessly in their RV. Judith Ivey is great as Sandra and Emily Grace is a newcomer worth keeping an eye on. So if you like character-driven fare, this is a ticket that should be punched.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   04-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Wow, Scott. Thanks for the nod. I will check out this little movie.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Maggers Wrote:Wow, Scott. Thanks for the nod. I will check out this little movie.

No problemo. I know you have a penchant? for intelligent, character-driven dramas that feature bravura performances and I think this one fits the bill. Not to mention it introduces a world that I haven't seen on the silver screen before.

Scott

jimbow8   04-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:No problemo. I know you have a penchant? for intelligent, character-driven dramas that feature bravura performances and I think this one fits the bill. Not to mention it introduces a world that I haven't seen on the silver screen before.
For reasons unknown, I was reading some recent Roger Ebert reviews this weekend and came across a movie called "Sorry, Haters" in which he describes the performance by Robin Wright Penn:

Quote:"Sorry, Haters" is a film that begins in intrigue, develops in fascination and ends in a train wreck. It goes spectacularly wrong, and yet it contains such a gripping performance by Robin Wright Penn that it succeeds, in a way, despite itself. To see great work is a reason to see an imperfect movie, and to observe how the movie loses its way may be useful even if it's frustrating. My inclination was to give the film a negative star rating, but that would mean recommending you not see this performance by Penn, and that I am unwilling to do.
He ultimately gave the film THREE STARS.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Maggers   04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:No problemo. I know you have a penchant? for intelligent, character-driven dramas that feature bravura performances and I think this one fits the bill. Not to mention it introduces a world that I haven't seen on the silver screen before.

I do indeed have such a penchant. Wink

I've also developed a sudden and inexplicable desire to go RV'ing. I don't know why but it seems so exotic to travel and take your whole house with you. God knows I'd never be able to drive the damn thing, but the thought intrigues me nevertheless.

Is that the world that you are seeing for the first time in this movie...the RV world?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   04-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Maggers Wrote:I do indeed have such a penchant. Wink

I've also developed a sudden and inexplicable desire to go RV'ing. I don't know why but it seems so exotic to travel and take your whole house with you. God knows I'd never be able to drive the damn thing, but the thought intrigues me nevertheless.

Is that the world that you are seeing for the first time in this movie...the RV world?

Only a little; the world I was mentioning is a bit darker.

Scott