RepairmanJack.com Forums
A 'Magger's Specialty' - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: A 'Magger's Specialty' (/thread-1595.html)

A 'Magger's Specialty' - Scott Miller - 04-09-2006

Outside of the occasional kids movie, I haven't been watching hardly anything and what I've seen hasn't really made much of an impression. That changed last night with What Alice Found, an excellent little drama about a disenfranchised teen who leaves New Hampshire for Florida. Along the way she experiences car problems and is picked up by an older, nomadic couple traveling endlessly in their RV. Judith Ivey is great as Sandra and Emily Grace is a newcomer worth keeping an eye on. So if you like character-driven fare, this is a ticket that should be punched.

A 'Magger's Specialty' - Maggers - 04-10-2006

Wow, Scott. Thanks for the nod. I will check out this little movie.

A 'Magger's Specialty' - Scott Miller - 04-10-2006

Maggers Wrote:Wow, Scott. Thanks for the nod. I will check out this little movie.

No problemo. I know you have a penchant? for intelligent, character-driven dramas that feature bravura performances and I think this one fits the bill. Not to mention it introduces a world that I haven't seen on the silver screen before.

A 'Magger's Specialty' - jimbow8 - 04-10-2006

Scott Miller Wrote:No problemo. I know you have a penchant? for intelligent, character-driven dramas that feature bravura performances and I think this one fits the bill. Not to mention it introduces a world that I haven't seen on the silver screen before.
For reasons unknown, I was reading some recent Roger Ebert reviews this weekend and came across a movie called "Sorry, Haters" in which he describes the performance by Robin Wright Penn:

Quote:"Sorry, Haters" is a film that begins in intrigue, develops in fascination and ends in a train wreck. It goes spectacularly wrong, and yet it contains such a gripping performance by Robin Wright Penn that it succeeds, in a way, despite itself. To see great work is a reason to see an imperfect movie, and to observe how the movie loses its way may be useful even if it's frustrating. My inclination was to give the film a negative star rating, but that would mean recommending you not see this performance by Penn, and that I am unwilling to do.
He ultimately gave the film THREE STARS.

A 'Magger's Specialty' - Maggers - 04-10-2006

Scott Miller Wrote:No problemo. I know you have a penchant? for intelligent, character-driven dramas that feature bravura performances and I think this one fits the bill. Not to mention it introduces a world that I haven't seen on the silver screen before.

I do indeed have such a penchant. Wink

I've also developed a sudden and inexplicable desire to go RV'ing. I don't know why but it seems so exotic to travel and take your whole house with you. God knows I'd never be able to drive the damn thing, but the thought intrigues me nevertheless.

Is that the world that you are seeing for the first time in this movie...the RV world?

A 'Magger's Specialty' - Scott Miller - 04-10-2006

Maggers Wrote:I do indeed have such a penchant. Wink

I've also developed a sudden and inexplicable desire to go RV'ing. I don't know why but it seems so exotic to travel and take your whole house with you. God knows I'd never be able to drive the damn thing, but the thought intrigues me nevertheless.

Is that the world that you are seeing for the first time in this movie...the RV world?

Only a little; the world I was mentioning is a bit darker.