fpw   06-05-2004, 09:09 AM
It's easier for a movie to cast its spell in a theatre than at home, even on a large home screen. I had trouble with the first half of Big Fish -- it seemed unfocused and directionless. I stopped it at the 45-min mark and went and had dinner. After dinner, since I'd allready committed that much time to it, I decided to stick with it.

So glad I did. This is a warm, wise, sweet film that appears on the surface to be about family relationships, but is really about the power of stories and myth. I will confess to being a tad verklempt at the end when the son carries his father down to the river.

See this one.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   06-05-2004, 09:35 AM
fpw Wrote:It's easier for a movie to cast its spell in a theatre than at home, even on a large home screen. I had trouble with the first half of Big Fish -- it seemed unfocused and directionless. I stopped it at the 45-min mark and went and had dinner. After dinner, since I'd already committed that much time to it, I decided to stick with it.

So glad I did. This is a warm, wise, sweet film that appears on the surface to be about family relationships, but is really about the power of stories and myth. I will confess to being a tad verklempt at the end when the son carries his father down to the river.

See this one.

Last month, I saw this movie in a theatre. I like Tim Burton movies, and this is his most fantastic and beautiful movie. You stopped it at the 45-min? I can't! Smile I can't stop the seeing movie,even the DVD or video.

Specially, you mentioned the last sequences, I can't stop tears. Tears flow and flow...well, I am not maudlin, but except this.
This post was last modified: 06-05-2004, 12:48 PM by fpw.
Noelie   06-05-2004, 11:53 AM
I used to have to blink back tears during the commercials for this movie, and I still haven't seen it. Yes, I am a sap. :\

I keep meaning to rent it, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for that review, FPW.
SDSwami   06-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Just watched it today and enjoyed it. The humor in the movie is very good (I really enjoyed the story about when the crow told him about his dad dieing). It really reminded me of someone who I used to work with that would tell all these "stories", but each time we would notice something different in the story. We used to really think that he would watch a movie and then believe that he was actually living out the movie.